Notifications
Clear all

Is my skin purging???

MemberMember
(@seashellstarfish)

Posted : 07/15/2018 11:16 pm

So what happened was that I stopped using my benzoyl peroxide lotion a couple months ago. Also a bunch of stress happened, overdried my skin, so I broke out. I ended up getting a TON of closed comedones. And a few cysts! This week I started using my benzoyl peroxide again. There is now less closed comedones but a few large pimples where most of the closed comedones are around. Ive used benzoyl peroxide before with great results, but I dont know if I remember my face purging. Not used to this comedones acne. Could that be whats going on?

MemberMember
(@klessard)

Posted : 07/17/2018 5:10 pm

Definitely sounds like purging. Lasts about 1-2 weeks. Ride it out, good luck!

MemberMember
(@seashellstarfish)

Posted : 07/17/2018 10:26 pm

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@wehrlebird)

Posted : 07/17/2018 10:57 pm

I agree, this could be purging. If you are using BP though, be sure you are moisturizing with the proper moisturizer for the face and your skin type. I used different types of benzoyl peroxide on my face for several years and while it got rid of general acne, it too dried my skin out very badly which caused cysts and over oily skin and along with AHA use wrecked my natural moisture barrier. so just be sure if you are using BP to keep your skin balanced and well moisturized.

MemberMember
(@sdk10)

Posted : 07/19/2018 9:54 am

I found this great article about purging:
http://www.skinacea.com/faq/acne/a05-purging-vs-breaking-out.html#.W1CmItKWy9I