Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dutchie

Does acne change/create a person's personality?

Does acne change/create a person's personality  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Does acne change/create a person's personality

• Yes, but it only produces insecurity/low selfesteem
    • Yes, it will create your whole personality
    • No, personality and acne have no connection whatsoever
    • No, the insecurity/low selfesteem are temporary feelings
    • Don't know

Well, apart from my personal story (other topic) I've got this... theory I want your opinion on... When I see people with acne... they never seem to be uhh... annoying or bullies or whatever... they're usually nice, sociable people. They never say anything cruel about someone (maybe because they fear that the other says something back) So maybe when you have acne you'll be a nice® person then when you don't have it? Or am I just thinking bullshit razz.gif Please give your opinion!

John

Guest Brandon

It humbles people and I can say that while it destroyed my social life, it made me a better person at the same time...Now I've learned my lesson and it's time for this shit to le dai!

acne doesn't just give you a negative self image,it can also kill you.

I knew one guy when I was in HS who was a cutup in class.He broke out really bad and became a more aggressive/assaultive person.I came across several like that. acne does so many things.....

i hate having acne. i hope it doesn't flair up horribly again. it gives me low self esteem, wastes my time, self conscious, i hate it period! people who think it doesn't do anything to yourself (if there is anyone like that) i doubt have ever had acne!!!

yes it does effect self esteem etc, but id also like to add that the experience also makes us stronger people in the long run bcos we have had to go through all that! and we can look back on it and feel more positive.

and if u are treatd differently when u have acne than when u have clear skin, u can be thankful that the true nature of these people was brought to ur attention. biggrin.gif

If you have bad acne then without a doubt it changes/creates personality.

Makes you a better person most of the time altho that doesn't count as much sad.gif

well it looks as if my regimen im on has finally cleared me up after about 8 months of torture.

when i think of me with clear skin, i just think of me with confidence. it changes you so much and i just like to think of how outgoing im going to be when it is completely gone. i remember about 1 year ago when i had it mild, i was still an extremely outgoing person. then it got bad and everything changed. it has changed me alot and made me more humble, but i just like to think of all the women im going to get when my skin finally does clear up, and all the good times im going to have.

I'd like to think Nietzsche was right when he said 'Whatever doesn't kill me will only make me stronger'. But I think in the case of acne it definitely sets you back a bit (or maybe even a lot). On the positive side, I know more about skincare now, then I would've got to know in an entire lifetime without acne.

Personally, I reckon it makes me stronger and more eager to succeed in life. I accept that some people may feel the need to hide away if they do have acne, and if thats what they want to do then they should be supported in doing so. However, I've become more confident because of my acne. I feel mentally stronger than I have been, and probably a better person because of my acne.

yeah... so maybe it has positive effects too... oh man... what a dream it'd be to just to be clear! get up in the morning... look at yourself in the mirror and see just... you! one thing's for sure: i really want to help people deal with acne when i get clear! that's the purpose of life i think: to help other people have a happier life than you have... how will it feel like to be clear? i think it kinda feels like u just got outta jail for a few years... razz.gif

Of course it does....it puts your selfsteem down...You get paranoid. Now, I'm dealing with those issue. Is like 5 months of ago. I had high selfsteem and when I got a major I mean major break out.... My selfsteem when to 10 in to 0....

Guest OnlyJoe

I found it hard to vote on how it changes a perons attitude to life.

I only voted on how it changed my attitude to life... low self esteem ect.

I used to have clear skin until about two or three years ago. That's when zits started popping up. I was nice even if I had clear skin. What's so strange is that ever since I got acne, I've been short-tempered and moody. It just affects your self-esteem I guess.

My zits calmed down a few months ago. It was the right side of my face that I was really concerned about because of the past zits that have popped up there. Woudl you believe it? The left side of my face was clear and smooth. Then, two months ago, I started getting zits on the left side of my face. I was using Clearasil Total Control Acne Cream. That's when the assault really started. Not to mention, the zits would come one after the other. Usually I had one zit every other week or so. Or two zits in a month. Then, when I started using it, zits just kept coming. I then switched to Neutrogena Advanced Solutions for acne which combines a facial salicylic scrub with BP and moisturizer. At first, it was great. I mean, my face felt smooth. About a few days after I started using it, the zits on the left side of my face just kept on coming and coming. It has never stopped since then.

I used to be a happy person but now I'm no longer happy. I used to be a nice person but now I'm no longer nice. I know it's the zits. It's just so frustrating.

I found it hard to vote on how it changes a perons attitude to life.

I only voted on how it changed my attitude to life... low self esteem ect.

for me im just more quiet and not as outgoing before i use to go to friends house like every night now its like once a week...so mainly social problems but like i have also become more understanding about other peoples feelings.

i would say having acne does have an effect on your personality..

when my acne was at its worse i still would go out lots, dont let it get you down, if some one says somethin, tell them to F*ck off.

now i only have moderate acne, i have gotten more confident then i was two years ago, im going out more and more smile.gif

Acne just makes you think if some ones looking at you, what they might be thinking, and you try look away too get them too look away (never works tongue.gif), ive just tryed to tell my self who cares what they think.

It surely affected mine, when I was younger I was much more talkative and outgoing. Once the eighth grade rolled around when I was about 15 when the acne creeped up on me,, that's when things started to go downhill! I transformed into a different person, I wouldn't talk to anyone, girls didn't want nothing to do with me, I was just downright embarrased. And here I am at almost 27 breaking out more, and more insecure than ever. Something's gotta give.

it totally messed up mine.

social anxiety, perpetual depression, low esteem. I used to be an outgoing little kid, loud as hell. Now I'm a shrivelled little being, an empty remains of one long crusty dog shit. My old acquaintances say I've changed so much. I hate the fact that every person knew why I was depressed in school. Unlike other things, you can't hide the truth.

Other than that its all good

i would say having acne does have an effect on your personality..

when my acne was at its worse i still would go out lots, dont let it get you down, if some one says somethin, tell them to F*ck off.

now i only have moderate acne, i have gotten more confident then i was two years ago, im going out more and more smile.gif

Acne just makes you think if some ones looking at you, what they might be thinking, and you try look away too get them too look away (never works tongue.gif), ive just tryed to tell my self who cares what they think.

Is would be pretty hard to say that.

Having that mentality really works...

Everyone should think that way.

Im starting to realize that having acne might effect personailitly, self-confidence and such, but I think that its also an excuse. Saying things like, "If I didn't have this big pimple on my face I would go and talk to her." or "I cant go to this party cause of my face." I know, cause I have done it many times. Since I have started to become more clear on my face, I relize that Im still fearing things that I feared when I had a face full of pimples. The only thing now is, is that I cant blame it on my acne. Now maybe having acne all these years has just effected me, so that I need more time to heal my emotional trauma. Only time will tell....

doubt.gif I didn't vote because I didn't really agree with any of the choices. Acne DOES effect your personality. In the teen years, when acne commonly starts, our personalities are blossoming - we're becoming the men and women we will be. We are affected by other's responses to us. Getting teased, rejected by the opposite sex, judged because of our appearence has an impact. I think it tends to make a person more shy, slower to trust and open up, perhaps less likely to do things like try out for the cheerleading squad or run for class president.

As adults, this may carry over, but I think as you get older you kinda learn to live with it. It gets worse, it gets better, you feel gross, you feel presentable. ** shrug - for me, it's part of life. confused.gif

Having acne may help make you stronger - and help make you see things in others that might have been missed by most. Just knowing that you are more than how you look helps you remember that others are as well. That alone puts you head and shoulders above the shallow idiots who are not capable of seeing this. Their loss, your gain.

In short, there is no question that having acne effects your personality. As far as creating a personality - I can't agree with that - there are too many factors that go into shaping a personality.

Acne has destroyed me as a person (insecurities,blah..).

I never really made fun of people when I was clear, but after having acne I've learned never to judge people based on their looks.

Acne Changed My Personality 100% ...... Im not the same person ......I Have no Friends or anyhting...I take out my anger on Weights to stop the pain

Guest Zitro

acne has seriously affected my confidence and made me insecure ...

Now I'm recovering and clearing up, but the emotional scars will be there (a broken heart)

Guest Brandon

I didn't vote either. I didn't find any of the options suitable to me.

I'm 21, had severe/moderate acne for 7 years, as a result I have lost all my social skills, i'm stuck in a shitty job because i'm too paranoid and lethargic to find a better one, I have only a few friends who I hardly ever see, I havn't had a girlfriend for 6 years, i'm miserable all the time.

I know my life would be so different if it wasn't for acne and I know it has changed my personality but I'm not sure how much it has changed me because its been so long since i was last clear that I have forgoten what I was like without acne.

Then again...

I had a period of acne free life last summer and it felt great, and people were comenting on how much happier i seemed but it didn't last very long.... like somebody said before, it felt like being released from prison, but it sucks because i'v tasted freedom and now i'm back in the slammer sad.gif