Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Poi

Question for all you acne experts (first post)

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting on acne.org. Im extremely glad i've found this site and all the good stuff on it. However, I got a few questions for you guys. First ill tell my story.

I don't remmeber how my acne was about 4 months ago but i'd say it was pretty moderate. I'm a perfectionist by nature so I thought, ya i gotta have baby smooth skin. So i ordered Proactiv and was on that for 3 months. I have to say my face got much worse and now I have the worse acne I've ever had, mostly on the sides of my cheeks (circle patches of acne) and on the bottom half of my face. My mom kept saying "ure acne's just coming out....u look so much better...etc." Screw that after 3 months, so i cancelled Proactiv.

I decided that I would order Dan's BP Gel so I ordered a tube and it came in yesterday. 2 days before it came in I went to the doctor and she gave me Duac Topical Gel (Clindamycin 1%, Benzoyl Peroxide 5%) and Differin Cream (Adapalene 0.1%). She told me to cleanse in the shower (switched from that Proactiv cleanser to Purpose Cleanser by Johnson & Johnson), then get out of the shower, let my face dry for 15 min. put on Duac in the morning and Differin in the evening, then wait 5 min. and put on a moisturizer (switched from Proactiv to Eucerin Daily Renewal). Anyways, my face has become a lot drier and seems to be getting a little red.

My question is, the price for Differin and Duac are quite expensive (I think around $80 a tube), and after reading a lot of posts on this forum, I heard a lot of people were not happy with Differin and Duac, not to mention they slow the PIH process (I have darker skin color and scar extremely easy, I dont touch my pimples and they still scar, while my friends pick the sh¡t out of their skin and there's not one mark). Should I not even try Duac and Differin, and just try out The Regimen because I received my tube in the mail, and I have a feeling just using 2.5% BP rather than two differernt types of creams may work better?

I have a feeling less may be more in my case, because I dont have extremely bad acne, however, I think by using Proactiv I was too harsh on my face and caused more damage than good.

Sorry for making this long I want all of your great insight. Thanks!

~Poi eusa_clap.gif

my advice- screw the doctors mediations for now and follow the regiment exactly for 2-3 months. if you dont have a big improvement by then, then you should try the doctors stuff. but the regimen works for about 95% of people (Estimate based on board etc) and it took me the full 2-3 months to clear up, but i havent had a pimple in a month now!! definately try this out first, plus there are a lot of knowledgable people here. remember to take it easy for the first week, trying to speed up the process will do more harm than good, trust me! good luck.

i have used Differin for probably over 5 years. The cost wasn't an issue-- medical insurance paid for the prescriptions, same with Duac, which I have used for maybe a year or 2.

Anyway, seems like sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When I use nothing at all, sometimes my skin is bad, sometimes its not. My point is I don't think the gels did anything for me. I also used Triaz for about 4 years.

I haven't tried Dans BP yet, but my in my opinion, definitely WAIT on the prescriptions and try the BP.

In regard to the cost of Differin, etc, if you have medical insurance they should cover it up until the age of 25. After that, the insurance will not cover it UNLESS you have your physician send or fax a statement to the insurance company stating ing the drug is medically necessary. My dermatologist's office had no problem doing that, and the insurance began to cover me again.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck