Notifications
Clear all

Having to buy new skincare product line prior to scar treatment?

MemberMember
(@aspirin)

Posted : 07/03/2018 2:20 pm

I just visited the doctor who is going to be doing my treatment and she was very adamant that I buy a new product line and start it a month prior to my first treatment (subcision + prp needling + tca peel). I felt pressured and it seemed like she would not perform the procedure without me buying the product. Is this normal to have to change your skincare line? It was hella expensive...

MemberMember
(@arte90)

Posted : 07/03/2018 4:46 pm

Although it is true that a certain skincare regimen can speed up healing after treatment, it's not normal for a doctor to push an expensive range of products. She is trying to make a profit from it. Tell her its outside of your budget and ask what the active ingredients are so you can buy them much cheaper elsewhere.

MemberMember
(@aspirin)

Posted : 07/03/2018 7:06 pm

1 hour ago, arte90 said:

Although it is true that a certain skincare regimen can speed up healing after treatment, it's not normal for a doctor to push an expensive range of products. She is trying to make a profit from it. Tell her its outside of your budget and ask what the active ingredients are so you can buy them much cheaper elsewhere. 

I asked, and all they would say was that I would just have to replace some of the products every 3-4 months and most patients find this "very affordable" (I guess if you're high income it's very affordable). I honestly feel sick. Like what do I need an eye cream for, my issue is acne not eye wrinkles...The cost of the skin procedures is already staggering (although that's understandable since not many people do those procedures in my city).

A stark reminder why I stopped going to derms and getting skin treatments done in the past...constantly feeling scammed.

Not to go into a rant here, but skin doctors are just frustrating to deal with. I always feel rushed or like I'm being talked down to. My regular derm's reaction when I said I was going to get treatment for my scars was "what scars?". Really? I've posted pics here of my scars; they're not imaginary or insignificant. He keeps pushing retin-a as this miracle that's going to make my scars awesome. Okay, the past 9 years tell me that isn't true...

I'm frustrated dealing with people about my skin but I'm also at a point where I just want my scars and acne gone. I'm too old for this. Thousands of dollars on professional procedures, 3 rounds of Accutane, antibiotics and and topical ointments, countless OTC skin care products and vitamins/supplements, and I still look like I sleep on gravel :(

Sorry, that was totally a rant.

MemberMember
(@dazzed)

Posted : 07/05/2018 2:48 am

Scam city. This is not an ethical doctor. Doctors who demand patients buy their skincare line, push for packages of treatments, or create a false sense of urgency are scam artists trying to get more money out of you. Imagine if something went wrong, they would discard you as a patient in a heartbeat.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 07/05/2018 3:00 pm

On 7/3/2018 at 12:20 PM, aspirin said:

I just visited the doctor who is going to be doing my treatment and she was very adamant that I buy a new product line and start it a month prior to my first treatment (subcision + prp needling + tca peel). I felt pressured and it seemed like she would not perform the procedure without me buying the product. Is this normal to have to change your skincare line? It was hella expensive...

Is she the only doctor in town? If not, give her the finger and walk out. Well, you know what I mean.