Notifications
Clear all

Accutane suicide thoughts help

MemberMember
(@corbyns-mom)

Posted : 06/24/2018 1:35 am

My son was on accutane (generic) for 6 months. The mo th after he was finished he committed suicide. He was a fun, hilarious, and loving person. Very close to
his friends and family... we never saw it
coming. I don't understand. I'm left with no answers and just would like to know if anyone here can relate.

MemberMember
(@futureanesthesiologist)

Posted : 06/24/2018 4:26 am

Honestly speaking, a facial treatment cannot cause one to kill themself unless the idea was already lingering inside of them

jPablo liked
MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 06/24/2018 6:59 am

2 hours ago, Futureanesthesiologist said:

Honestly speaking, a facial treatment cannot cause one to kill themself unless the idea was already lingering inside of them

sorry to hear of this - but I agree with the above, accutane doesn't cause depression. All this stigma around it is bs.

MemberMember
(@duperele)

Posted : 06/26/2018 8:06 am

On 2018-06-24 at 1:59 PM, jPablo said:
sorry to hear of this - but I agree with the above, accutane doesn't cause depression. All this stigma around it is bs.

I do not compleatly agree. Just as accutane dries out ur skin it also tries out your braincells... I had a psychiatrist explain it to me.

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 06/26/2018 12:07 pm

3 hours ago, Duperele said:
On 24/06/2018 at 12:59 PM, jPablo said:

I do not compleatly agree. Just as accutane dries out ur skin it also tries out your braincells... I had a psychiatrist explain it to me.

We are all going to disagree, some will say it does some Will say it doesn't.

I believe that it depends on you as a person, not the drug

MemberMember
(@yasminexra)

Posted : 06/26/2018 1:00 pm

On 24-6-2018 at 11:26 AM, Futureanesthesiologist said:

I agree with this. It just seems like a skin condition but acne really can make you hopeless. And a medicine can be the last straw but not the cause. I went on accutane and everytime I wanted to end it it was because of my skin not the medicine, since I knew accutane was my only hope.

I'm so sorry for your loss but he probably had deeper rooted issues I believe. Wish you all the luck x

MemberMember
(@monsterdiesel)

Posted : 07/11/2018 8:33 pm

Accutane changed my personality after using it. I was a happy go-lucky kinda guy and then came accutane and two failed attempts.. so yeah. This drug can totally cause that. So sorry for your loss..

MemberMember
(@dubya_b)

Posted : 07/18/2018 11:41 pm

On 6/24/2018 at 2:35 AM, Corbyns Mom said:

My son was on accutane (generic) for 6 months. The mo th after he was finished he committed suicide. He was a fun, hilarious, and loving person. Very close to
coming. I don't understand. I'm left with no answers and just would like to know if anyone here can relate.

You have my condolences.

Accutane is more than a facial treatment. It has systemic effects and was originally developed as a chemotherapy drug to fight certain types of leukemia and brain cancers. The anti-acne effect was noted as a positive side-effect during these clinical trials. After this, the FDA approval for Accutane as an anti-acne drug was fast-tracked based on the chemo clinical trials.

There have been many scientific studies showing physical effects of the drug, other than in the skin. It has been show to effect growth plates, tear ducts (dry eyes), alter brain cells and neural connectivity in mice, reduce thyroid function, reduce positive indicators of ovarian reserve in women, and erectile dysfunction has been recently added to the drug label as a rare side effect in Canada and Europe.

Whether or not it can cause depression is still hotly debated and there is no consensus. Much of this I think is due to suicides and depression related to Accutane being very under-reported.

Accutane cleared-up my acne but totally destroyed my ability to feel pleasure and happiness ...permanently; along with many other atrocious effects. I would like nothing more than to have this drug banned completely, but there are currently no other acne treatments that are as effective.

There is also a long and growing list of people who took their lives and who implicated side effects from Accutane as their reason for doing such:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/roaccutane-acne-drug-linked-depression-suicide-prescriptions-increase-rise-six-times-decade-a7727606.html

https://www.c-span.org/video/?174192-2/safety-accutane

MemberMember
(@plaguevictim)

Posted : 07/19/2018 5:34 am

Well, I had quite the opposite reaction. Once you start to see the results, you should feel happier (as I did).
"I would like nothing more than to have this drug banned completely". This is just plain stupid. Of course people can have different reactions to isotretinoin or any medicine, but that is why one should have periodical appointments to check physical and psychological conditions and whether or not the treatment must go on. Countless of people for many years now had tremendous improvement in quality of life. If done correctly, isotretinoin is completely safe and a viable option for cure.

MemberMember
(@dubya_b)

Posted : 07/19/2018 6:37 pm

There is no correct way to do it. If you are prone to side effects, you get slammed and there's no guarantee that it won't be too late by the time a doctor or psychiatrist catches a severe adverse reaction.

When there is some way to determine prior to treatment, probably through pharmacogenetic testing in the near future, who is prone to certain side effects developing, then it can be considered a relatively low-risk treatment.

Even the medical community who prescribes it considers it a harsh drug, but place more importance on clearing acne than Accutane's potential to harm one's health.

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 07/19/2018 7:23 pm

On 6/24/2018 at 7:35 AM, Corbyns Mom said:

I am so saddened to hear this. Please contact me.

On 6/26/2018 at 6:07 PM, jPablo said:
We are all going to disagree, some will say it does some Will say it doesn't.

I believe that it depends on you as a person, not the drug

You really are ignorant. In the UK alone there have been 80 accutane suicides that we know about and we suspect there have been many more. I can give you reasons why in many cases the connection may never have been made but there seems to be no point in taking to you.
Look at the stats before giving your uneducated opinion.

13 hours ago, plaguevictim said:

Well, I had quite the opposite reaction. Once you start to see the results, you should feel happier (as I did).
"I would like nothing more than to have this drug banned completely". This is just plain stupid. Of course people can have different reactions to isotretinoin or any medicine, but that is why one should have periodical appointments to check physical and psychological conditions and whether or not the treatment must go on. Countless of people for many years now had tremendous improvement in quality of life. If done correctly, isotretinoin is completely safe and a viable option for cure.

Another uneducated opinion - no one will tell you that isotretinoin is a completely safe option! That is why it is a last resort medication. Do some proper research!!

MemberMember
(@plaguevictim)

Posted : 07/24/2018 7:59 am

It is safe if you take proper caution. Just need to notify your physician about any noticeable effects and do monthly check ups. Nobody takes isotretinoin one day and decides to commit suicide first thing in the morning. If I knew this treatment was so simple and effective, I would have done it years ago :) 

On 19/07/2018 at 9:23 PM, hatetane said:
Another uneducated opinion - no one will tell you that isotretinoin is a completely safe option! That is why it is a last resort medication. Do some proper research!!

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 07/24/2018 6:41 pm

10 hours ago, plaguevictim said:

It is safe if you take proper caution. Just need to notify your physician about any noticeable effects and do monthly check ups. Nobody takes isotretinoin one day and decides to commit suicide first thing in the morning. If I knew this treatment was so simple and effective, I would have done it years ago :) 

You are misguided - accutane causes psychosis and will make some people to do random acts. It also causes
such heinous long term side effects that many will commit suicide years post accutane.
Why do you think so many have made the same claims and we have the deaths to prove it.
Granted dermatologists are unlikely to tell you that the drug causes suicidal ideation - surely they would not let a child or young person take a drug that might make them kill themselves or cause permanent sexual
dysfunction - wrong, they knowingly prescribe everyday!!

MemberMember
(@bellacat)

Posted : 07/24/2018 9:39 pm

Anyone's comments here are likely based on opinion and anacdote. Accutane effects everyone differently in a mental capacity as well as physical. It certainly does change the way the body functions on an internal level and that can definitely effect mood etc. I'm sorry to anyone who has suffered from side effects brought on by accutane.

Dubya_B liked
MemberMember
(@plaguevictim)

Posted : 07/25/2018 12:48 pm

18 hours ago, hatetane said:
You are misguided - accutane causes psychosis and will make some people to do random acts. It also causes
such heinous long term side effects that many will commit suicide years post accutane.
Why do you think so many have made the same claims and we have the deaths to prove it.
Granted dermatologists are unlikely to tell you that the drug causes suicidal ideation - surely they would not let a child or young person take a drug that might make them kill themselves or cause permanent sexual
dysfunction - wrong, they knowingly prescribe everyday!!

So much hate for a drug... If you don't like it, don't use it :) 

MemberMember
(@dubya_b)

Posted : 07/27/2018 6:07 pm

Tell that to the mother who lost her son.

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 08/14/2018 10:03 am

On 7/25/2018 at 3:39 AM, bellacat said:

Anyone's comments here are likely based on opinion and anacdote. Accutane effects everyone differently in a mental capacity as well as physical. It certainly does change the way the body functions on an internal level and that can definitely effect mood etc. I'm sorry to anyone who has suffered from side effects brought on by accutane. 

Not really - opinion and anecdote implies unreliable and hearsay! The majority on these forums are speaking from experience. 

On 7/25/2018 at 6:48 PM, plaguevictim said:
So much hate for a drug... If you don't like it, don't use it :) 

Sexual side effects only now listed in the PIL after 30 years of being on the market.
Do you not believe that every patient has the right to be fully informed?

Very few Post Accutane Syndrome Side effects are listed!

MemberMember
(@bellacat)

Posted : 08/31/2018 12:21 pm

On 8/14/2018 at 8:03 AM, hatetane said:
Not really - opinion and anecdote implies unreliable and hearsay! The majority on these forums are speaking from experience.

- anecdote and experience are the same thing!! not saying it's unreliable just saying it's individual. I had a terrible time with accutane but for some people it works magic.