Notifications
Clear all

Bad diet, little to no water, no cleaning and 4 days of camping = No Acne?

MemberMember
(@zacslote)

Posted : 06/19/2018 9:31 am

Hello, All!

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation. I was having bad breakouts leading into a camping weekend. I have a solid routine of cleaning twice a day (cetaphil) and moisturizing (cetaphil) and toner (rosewater) and then sunscreen ( neutrogena ). I STOPPED all of this to go on vacation in Mammoth, CA, and had NO ACNE for 4 days! I had little to water, did not clean my face with anything more than cold water, had a horrible diet of sweets and fast food. How does this make sense?

I went from a pristine cycle of skin care to horrible care and get less acne, actually NONE! Is this a air quality thing? Clean air? Higher altitude? Has anyone had this happen? Is there something I am missing or to be learned from this?

Facts: I am from Anaheim, CA. I took Accutane about 6 months ago. Have acne primarily around jawline.

MemberMember
(@eegor)

Posted : 06/23/2018 10:55 am

The same here. I was on paleo diet, vegan diet for long time and than, one day, I ate a thousand of sweets during the week and my acne is gone.

MemberMember
(@smokinggun)

Posted : 06/23/2018 4:10 pm

actually, as you know, it should be just the opposite. I think it was the higher air, less germs maybe, you were
fortunate. maybe it will continue. good luck

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 06/24/2018 8:34 am

I have a solid routine of cleaning twice a day (cetaphil) and moisturizing (cetaphil) and toner (rosewater) and then sunscreen ( neutrogena ). I STOPPED all of this to go on vacation in Mammoth, CA, and had NO ACNE for 4 days! I had little to water, did not clean my face with anything more than cold water,

well there is a few things ive read about, which might help..

firstly ditching all soaps/creams and using only water is very similar to the caveman regimen, which a lot of people find helpful. unfortunately alot of soaps/creams are bad for people with acne.

you could be suffering from diet problems and your trip helped you avoid something which causes you problems? -for eg if your sensitive to milk avoiding it may of helped. milk causes hormone problems and apparently stays in the body for 2-4days.

lack of time in front of the mirror may have helped as you couldn't pick or fuss over your skin(?)

bad tap water(?) there is some talk but not much proof that some "hard" tap water is to blame for skin problems(?) - so avoiding it for a few days helped clear you up?

..or you could lining yourself up for a bad reaction. in my experience what you eat /drink today will "show up" in 2days time.

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 07/13/2018 7:37 am

Hey, I find that diet takes 3-4 days to show up on my skin... so it could be that you ate particularly well just before the trip.

Sunscreen can be terrible for breakouts; maybe itclogs your skin? Cetaphil is really crappy -I only tried it once anda dermatologistexpressed horror at me using it! It has all sorts of parabens, sulphate and alcohol in. Avoid any products with alcohol in as it strips the skin. I would try switching to a more natural gentler cleanser once a day(i.e. any by REN for example) and not apply anything else after. Experiment with adding suncream back in slowly to see if it triggers your skin maybe and consider switching? (EltaMD have one with great ingredients).

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 07/24/2018 5:02 am

I don't buy the whole, acne is caused by sugar thing...I had been eating a ketogenic diet for a few years when I started getting acne. I wasn't eating ANY sugary foods EVER. It wasn't possible for me to eat fewer carbs than I was eating.
If you look up the studies, people who eat higher carb/sugar diets have LESS acne, not more.
As far as those products listed... every single thing mentioned is chock FULL of comedogenic ingredients and I would look like a walking pizza if I used that routine for one day. Use "cosdna.com" to find better products.

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 07/25/2018 8:41 am

On 7/24/2018 at 6:02 AM, TheBean said:

I don't buy the whole, acne is caused by sugar thing...I had been eating a ketogenic diet for a few years when I started getting acne. I wasn't eating ANY sugary foods EVER. It wasn't possible for me to eat fewer carbs than I was eating.
If you look up the studies, people who eat higher carb/sugar diets have LESS acne, not more.

All published studies I've seen show that low GL diets reduce acne. However, acne is very complex and has many different causes (different from person to person also), with some common factors such as low levels of antioxidants on the skin and low-quality skin sebum.

I think skin is very sensitive to diet changes and each individual needs to work out what improves/worsens their own acne. For me I know that upping my intake of dark green veg, omega 3 and reducing sugar massively improves mine, but a vegan diet makes it worse. However, that hides the fact that it was increasing my nut intake dramatically during that time which caused cystic acne, despite not eating sugar also!

I have read about people having great success eating high carb but absolutely minimal fat, but not seen any evidence to support this yet, have you?

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 07/25/2018 8:45 pm

Something that a lot of vegans fall into is eating a LOT of soy. Eat vegan, but avoid the soy.
I found that eating grapefruit really helps mine. I can't take zinc at all, it makes me break out instantly, but this could be because its triggering an excess copper dump...or it could be that it's pushing my high T levels higher and converting more excess T into more androgens. (Zinc is actually an aromatase inhibitor.) The sugar, zinc and other aromatase inhibitors do not help my acne. I had my hormones tested and my T is high and my E is low. Aromatase inhibitors will make that imbalance worse along with my acne.