Notifications
Clear all

Questions about my acne

MemberMember
(@yuh)

Posted : 06/17/2018 7:55 pm

I have had hormonal acne since the sixth grade, which is about 3-4 years ago. This is a picture of my current acne. I've taken minocycle 100 mg capsules, tretinoin 0.1% gel, and dapsone 5% gel daily for the past week. Mostly it is red bumps on my right cheek that are raised and painful. Is this a case of moderate or severe acne? Also can I take Advil to relieve the pain without having to worry about my minocycline caps?

Snapchat-1791218626.jpg

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 06/20/2018 6:36 am

probably best to ask your doctor regarding any medicine questions.

can i ask, what is your skin care regimen(?), how many times a day do you wash your face? also whats your diet like, do you drink milk and fizzy drinks, like coke?

On 6/18/2018 at 1:55 AM, yuh said:

I have had hormonal acne since the sixth grade, which is about 3-4 years ago. This is a picture of my current acne. I've taken minocycle 100 mg capsules, tretinoin 0.1% gel, and dapsone 5% gel daily for the past week. Mostly it is red bumps on my right cheek that are raised and painful. Is this a case of moderate or severe acne? Also can I take Advil to relieve the pain without having to worry about my minocycline caps?

Snapchat-1791218626.jpg

MemberMember
(@benjamin94)

Posted : 06/20/2018 7:24 am

Moderate. Dont call it hormonal. Hormonal Acne means acne caused by abnormal hormone levels. The key word being abnormal. The main examples are girls with PCOS and guys on anabolic steroids. Endogenous Hyperandrogenism in men is extremely rare and your testosterone if measured would almost certainly be normal. So unless youre on steroids, I wouldnt call your acne hormonal.

MemberMember
(@yuh)

Posted : 06/27/2018 9:42 pm

On 6/20/2018 at 8:24 AM, Benjamin94 said:

Moderate. Dont call it hormonal. Hormonal Acne means acne caused by abnormal hormone levels. The key word being abnormal. The main examples are girls with PCOS and guys on anabolic steroids. Endogenous Hyperandrogenism in men is extremely rare and your testosterone if measured would almost certainly be normal. So unless youre on steroids, I wouldnt call your acne hormonal.

AFAIK acne is more prevalent in teens due to higher testosterone levels. That's why I called it hormonal, as I'm not an adult who has had it for most of their life, proving it isn't just a "phase," if you will.

On 6/20/2018 at 7:36 AM, MrBakery said:

probably best to ask your doctor regarding any medicine questions.

can i ask, what is your skin care regimen(?), how many times a day do you wash your face? also whats your diet like, do you drink milk and fizzy drinks, like coke?

I wash my face twice daily, once in the morning and once at night usingthis.After I wash my face in the morning, I apply a thin layer of Dapsone 5% gel to my face as told to by the dermatologist. Around mid-day, I take one capsule of Minocycline 100 mg. At night I wash my face, then I use Tretinoin 0.1% cream, which sometimes I skip it because it only seems to make my face extremely oily and worse in the morning. I usually have two meals a day, sometimes three, and I eat plenty of snacks throughout the day which consist of one or two pickles, one or two rice krispytreats, and some chips. I never drink soda or fizzy drinks, rarely I'll drink Gatorade. I almost always have water. I only have milk when I eat cereal, which is about every other day.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 06/28/2018 1:55 am

On 6/17/2018 at 5:55 PM, yuh said:

These are cystic acne, which will leave you with scars if you're not careful. First, NEVER pick these zits. What might be painful now will be nothing compared to hideous scars that will follow you for the rest of your life. Second, you should note that IT'S THE INFLAMMATION that leaves scars. Hence, you should get the inflammation down pronto. Apply ice to the affected area and take 2 tablets of Advil twice a day. Third, if Minocycline isn't working, talk to your doc about stopping it because sooner or later you'll end up with bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics. This is a serious matter that should not be taken lightly.

Hope that helps.

MemberMember
(@benjamin94)

Posted : 06/28/2018 6:18 am

4 hours ago, Sirius Lee said:
These are cystic acne, which will leave you with scars if you're not careful. First, NEVER pick these zits. What might be painful now will be nothing compared to hideous scars that will follow you for the rest of your life. Second, you should note that IT'S THE INFLAMMATION that leaves scars. Hence, you should get the inflammation down pronto. Apply ice to the affected area and take 2 tablets of Advil twice a day. Third, if Minocycline isn't working, talk to your doc about stopping it because sooner or later you'll end up with bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics. This is a serious matter that should not be taken lightly.

Hope that helps.

No, no, no. You shouldnt be taking Advil long term. Not unless you want peptic ulcers. In my experience it doesnt have much effect on acne inflammation anyway.

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 06/28/2018 12:00 pm

On 6/28/2018 at 8:42 AM, yuh said:

I only have milk when I eat cereal, which is about every other day.

might not be the same for you but for me, even the smallest amount of milk causes spots/cysts.

[Edited link out]