Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GracieP

Moved home and suddenly breaking out really bad?

Recommended Posts

Hi im hoping someone can help me. I am from NY but go to college in south carolina. All year my skin was relatively stable while at school. A few things would pop up here and there, nothing major (i have extreme anxiety from acne so this was huge for me)

However, I came home for the summer and now my skin has gone HAYWIRE. Literally everywhere. As soon as i look away from the mirror i swear one more thing comes in. I have an awful picking habit so this is really starting to scare me. I dont know what to do about it my spot treatment just isnt working and none of my remedies are either. can someone please help?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey, how is your diet currently, are you avoiding dairy and sugar?
And what type of serum are you using? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AcneVM said:

Hey, how is your diet currently, are you avoiding dairy and sugar?
And what type of serum are you using? 

Yeah I eat paleo so no gluten dairy and very low sugar. Also i havent changed a single thing in my skin care routine so i cant imagine whats breaking me out but its seriously making me so upset. to be almost clear and then back to awful again is pretty depressing. 

I use cerave SA wash, cerave SA moisturizer and Keeva tea tree moisturizer, vitamin c serum from amara organics for scars and redness and then a thin layer of sulphur cream at night that helps me keep away breakouts usually (guess not anymore)

i look awful and dont wanna go anywhere:(
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm if you moved from South Carolina and back to NY it might be a cause of the environmental changes. I am not an expert on the US climate but I assume it can be more moist in the air in South Carolina?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it a possibility that the tap water is softer or more pure where your college is?

People have called me silly for it, but I’ve noticed the water I cleanse my face with effects my skin in multiple ways. Putting a water filter on my shower years ago helped. Im also not a stranger to cleansing at the sink with bottled water. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2018 at 6:05 PM, PrizedAir said:

Is it a possibility that the tap water is softer or more pure where your college is?

People have called me silly for it, but I’ve noticed the water I cleanse my face with effects my skin in multiple ways. Putting a water filter on my shower years ago helped. Im also not a stranger to cleansing at the sink with bottled water. 

thats what i was thinking! absolutely nothing in my lifestyle changed, im not more stressed (if anything im less because im just relaxing for the summer) so i feel like theres a possibility with the water or something. I notice this on more than one occasion. I came home for christmas and broke out way more than usual too. I thought it was the cold air then but since its happening again im thinking my skin went from liking the south carolina water ( i never breakout really at school) to getting angry with this water.

So how much did a shower head filter really help? also, you use bottle water to wash your face? did you notice you definitely cleared up at all from doing both of those?
On 6/8/2018 at 6:05 PM, PrizedAir said:

Is it a possibility that the tap water is softer or more pure where your college is?

People have called me silly for it, but I’ve noticed the water I cleanse my face with effects my skin in multiple ways. Putting a water filter on my shower years ago helped. Im also not a stranger to cleansing at the sink with bottled water. 

Image result for hardness of water chart usYou can see on this map that there is a clear difference between south carolina and upstate NY (white vs purple). I am going to do more research into that but like i asked, how much did using bottle water and a shower head help?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, GracieP said:
thats what i was thinking! absolutely nothing in my lifestyle changed, im not more stressed (if anything im less because im just relaxing for the summer) so i feel like theres a possibility with the water or something. I notice this on more than one occasion. I came home for christmas and broke out way more than usual too. I thought it was the cold air then but since its happening again im thinking my skin went from liking the south carolina water ( i never breakout really at school) to getting angry with this water.

So how much did a shower head filter really help? also, you use bottle water to wash your face? did you notice you definitely cleared up at all from doing both of those? Image result for hardness of water chart usYou can see on this map that there is a clear difference between south carolina and upstate NY (white vs purple). I am going to do more research into that but like i asked, how much did using bottle water and a shower head help?


It terms of breakouts and skin texture it made like I would say a 50% difference if that makes sense. Severity and frequency was cut around half ish. My skin does not like the tap water here. For you its likely multiple environmental factors. A lot of people’s skin goes haywire in climates that are “too arid” or “too humid” for their skin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×