Notifications
Clear all

Could it REALLY be gluten?

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 06/07/2018 3:26 am

Now I have had acne for around 3 years and I'm SO TIRED OF IT. I have been eating healthy this whole time, almost completely plant based. No dairy.

The only thing I didn't try was cutting out gluten and cacao (I read that you could try cutting cacao and I eat a lot because I'm obsessed with adding it to my healthy creations, so that's why).

So I stopped eating gluten on May 3rd. I did eat oatmeal during this period of being "gluten free"though and I don't know if the oats I eat contain gluten or not but I'm underweight and I need to eat so I didn't care at the time. I also tried cutting out cacao but I cheated a little bit once in a while because it's so difficult to resist when you are obsessed lol.

Anyways, around I would say 2 weeks later my skin got much better. I usually have around at least 20 pimples on my face at once, but now I only had like 8, and the rest were only tiny, tiny bumps that weren't even red. And I was on my period at the time!

Since I'm underweight and trying to gain weight I was so hungry on May 25th (yes I have a good memory) and I heard the bread scream at me to be eaten, so I ate it. Since then I've started eating bread (whole wheat and home made) and pasta again (when I was GF I ate chickpea pasta instead of whole wheat as usually do). I also started eating cacao again around the same time because I WANNA EAT. And now my skin seems to be getting worse again. I only have around 12 pimples on my face at the moment, but 3 of them I've had for almost 2 weeks and they won't go away? Most pimples on my face also hurt and I just wanna cry tbh.

But like, I've been eating gluten all my life so isn't it weird if gluten is actually the cause? When I was younger I only ate milk chocolate (less cacao) and not as often as in recent years. In recent years I've only eaten dark chocolate. And as I mentioned I've been adding cacao to healthy stuff I make. I also LOVE dates covered in cacao. So it could be the cacao? My favorite things to eat are whole wheat pasta and something with cacao so it's really sad either way if any of those are the cause. I guess the only way to find out is to cut out the cacao but everything tastes so boring without it... Or what if it's the yeast in the bread? That would actually make things so much easier because there is no yeast in pasta and you can also make yeast-free bread.

Does anyone have a similar problem or something? I'm so incredibly tired of having acne, but I'm also so tired of restricting what I eat and being so skinny and flat chested.

I also have no other idea what could be the cause. My acne is mainly on my RIGHT cheek and on my chin. Sometimes my forehead is bad and sometimes it's completely clear. So I don't know if it's hormonal... I also thought my skin got better due to less stress, but I'm still calm and yet it seems to be getting worse. So I have no idea but I refuse to take medication because I want to be as natural as possible. I watched a video with Sandra Lee (Dr Pimple Popper) and she said that diet has nothing to do with acne but I doubt that's completely true.

MemberMember
(@vb2005)

Posted : 06/09/2018 9:41 am

Yes gluten is a big problem but this is just one of difficult to digest proteins - when you eat them you cant digest them and they feed bad bacteria in intestines - the toxins from bad bacteria cause oily skin and acne because some people remove the toxins trough the skin. Thats why you are hungry and skinny.
Other very bad proteins - casein in all milk products, red meats. Even casein in youghurt is undigestible.
Here is what you can try - fish instead of meat - even chicken is not easy to digest.
Instead of milk - you can try very aged cheeses like at 12 month aged parmiggiono reggiano. grana padano or pecorino romano - during this long agin time bacteria in cheese degrade casein to amino acids so your body does not need to do this. You cna also try raw milk - it have enzymes but not easy to buy it.
If you want to eat gluten you can buy enzymes that digest gluten like biohawk ginger enzymes - but i personaly think aged cheeses are better - they have vit d, omega 3, complete protein and very health saturated fats - bread is not food for human consumption. But remember the cheese have to be very aged - crumby, if you buy plain cheese like feta or mozarella - this is just concentrated source of casein - it is the same as gluten - not good

If you want to eat bread you can also make or buy sourdough bread - the bacteria in it degrade gluten but it have to be very high quality sourdough bread not just some imitation done fast without time for fermentation.

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 06/11/2018 10:11 am

On 2018-06-09 at 4:41 PM, vb2005 said:

Yes gluten is a big problem but this is just one of difficult to digest proteins - when you eat them you cant digest them and they feed bad bacteria in intestines - the toxins from bad bacteria cause oily skin and acne because some people remove the toxins trough the skin. Thats why you are hungry and skinny.
Other very bad proteins - casein in all milk products, red meats. Even casein in youghurt is undigestible.
Here is what you can try - fish instead of meat - even chicken is not easy to digest.
Instead of milk - you can try very aged cheeses like at 12 month aged parmiggiono reggiano. grana padano or pecorino romano - during this long agin time bacteria in cheese degrade casein to amino acids so your body does not need to do this. You cna also try raw milk - it have enzymes but not easy to buy it.
If you want to eat gluten you can buy enzymes that digest gluten like biohawk ginger enzymes - but i personaly think aged cheeses are better - they have vit d, omega 3, complete protein and very health saturated fats - bread is not food for human consumption. But remember the cheese have to be very aged - crumby, if you buy plain cheese like feta or mozarella - this is just concentrated source of casein - it is the same as gluten - not good

If you want to eat bread you can also make or buy sourdough bread - the bacteria in it degrade gluten but it have to be very high quality sourdough bread not just some imitation done fast without time for fermentation.

Dairy from a cow is not food for human consumption either though

MemberMember
(@vb2005)

Posted : 06/12/2018 11:33 am

Raw milk have enzymes that help to digest it, when you make raw youghurt it is even better. Pasteurized milk is undigestible - so not all milk is the same. The longest living people on earth were eating a lot of raw milk products - like bulgarians, maassai tribe in Africa and others. If you search this forum for raw milk you will find people have success with it. I mean the same people that get acne from pasteurised milk get healed when they eat raw milk. But you should not believe anything from internet forum - so here is what scince says about aged cheeses and health https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5654426/

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 07/13/2018 7:29 am

There are recent studies linking cacao to acne. One study was able touse a double-blind method by giving acne patients either a placebo pill, or one stuffed with cacao. The latter saw a significant increase in their acne over 3 weeks. Would definitely quit it.

I also find that giving up bread improves my skin considerably, even though I only eat wholewheat! However, oats seem to be completely neutral. To fill up you could eat porridge first thing with almond butter (almonds have a reasonably omega 3 ratio and the protein makes it more filling) and banana as a sweetener.

I also fill up on oat crackers with almond butter when hungry between meals and it hasn't broken me out (other nuts do).

At meals though, honestly load up on dark green leafyveg, they have such a dramatic impact on skin. Add olive oil to everything for extra calories as fat!