Sebaceous Hyperplas...

Notifications
Clear all

Sebaceous Hyperplasia

MemberMember
(@netrox)

Posted : 06/02/2018 5:13 pm

For over two years, I have sebaceous hyperplasia (white bumps due to clogged glands) popping up on my forehead and they are distressing to me because they appear prominently in photos when shot from an angle that's not facing toward the camera. 

I went to the dermatologist and asked for electrodissection two years ago, and he refused saying it may leave scars. He prescribed Differin and said it will take about six months. At that time, it was prescription only and it cost $100 so I said forget it. I am not paying $100 a month to see if it works or not. 

Fortunately, now Differin is OTC and it's only 10 dollars (amazon website) and I ordered it. And a month later of consistent application, I am truly stunned at how significant my forehead has improved. The bumps are almost totally flat. 

But let me also say that I also took azythromocin and doxycline for pneumonia so I don't know how much role those meds play at clearing my bumps. 

Attached is the picture of before and after. Does anyone ever try this with success? I am asking because Google keeps coming up empty handed with Differin to treat sebaceous hyperplasia. 

Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 12.47.22 PM.jpg

MemberMember
(@maplesyrupmama)

Posted : 06/09/2018 10:35 am

Wow, that's impressive!
I have a few of these myself (I'm 49; it's definitely an age related thing), I might give that a try!

MemberMember
(@yorkiebloke)

Posted : 07/08/2018 1:11 pm

Hi, I am in the UK and also have the same problem on my forehead and side of my nose. I am 69 and I would say they started about 10 years ago and are increasing in number. I have seen a dermatologist both privately and on the UK NHS. Both say they should be left alone and won't do any harm. They don't appear to feel I should be concerned about what they look like and that my grandchildren are always asking me what they are!!
I have not been offered any treatment. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@poorbunny888)

Posted : 12/06/2018 3:32 am

wow thanks for sharing. good for you! unfortunately my SH comes from retinol itself. it burns my skin and afterwards creating the bumpy textures. afterwards, I use a milder form , the retinaldehyde but it only decrease in size. would like to try the isotret systemic next

MemberMember
(@angiek)

Posted : 12/07/2018 3:08 pm

I have those too... Differin didn't work for me though unfortunately. I'm about to start my second course of accutane :-/

MemberMember
(@contentedlamb)

Posted : 01/27/2019 5:49 pm

Ive been using Differin for months too, but have not had any good results either. I also tried Proactive, retinol,and purpleemu redness and blemish control with no luck. Ive used a small pair of scissors and cut one of the bumps off, but it grew back. Ive washed my face with dandruff shampoo and then rubbed some more dandruff shampoo on them but that failed also. Its mostly on my forehead but it seems to be moving down my temples. If it reaches my face I feel I might have to grow a beard to cover them up, which I really dont want to do. I have court duty coming up in a few months and I need to get out of it somehow. I use my hat to cover my forehead but incourt youre not allowed to wear hats. I will feel totally uncomfortable if Im seen like this. Id rather be fined by the courts than go to court duty with my blemishes on display for all to see. Im thinking that sunless tanning lotion may help to camouflage them somewhat but I hope it doesnt make them worse.

I cannot believe there is not a decent solution for our issue, but we are just told to live with it. If I could just flatten them out Id be satisfied with that at this point. I bought a tube of scar cream that Id figure Id test on them, but have yet to do so.

MemberMember
(@juan-bautista)

Posted : 09/25/2019 1:34 pm

On 1/27/2019 at 6:49 PM, ContentedLamb said:

I™ve been using Differin for months too, but have not had any good results either. I also tried Proactive, retinol,and purpleemu redness and blemish control with no luck. I™ve used a small pair of scissors and cut one of the bumps off, but it grew back. I™ve washed my face with dandruff shampoo and then rubbed some more dandruff shampoo on them but that failed also. It™s mostly on my forehead but it seems to be moving down my temples. If it reaches my face I feel I might have to grow a beard to cover them up, which I really don™t want to do. I have court duty coming up in a few months and I need to get out of it somehow. I use my hat to cover my forehead but in court you™re not allowed to wear hats. I will feel totally uncomfortable if I™m seen like this. I™d rather be fined by the courts than go to court duty with my blemishes on display for all to see. I™m thinking that sunless tanning lotion may help to camouflage them somewhat but I hope it doesn™t make them worse.

I cannot believe there is not a decent solution for our issue, but we are just told to live with it. If I could just flatten them out I™d be satisfied with that at this point. I bought a tube of scar cream that I™d figure I™d test on them, but have yet to do so.

I know how you feel, I'm 39 and started getting them more than 5 years ago. I got tons on my face. I have tried everything Retin A, Differin, BHA, AHA but nothing works. I get electrodessication done every 4 months but hey keep coming back. I have pretty good skin for my age but those hideous bumps ruin it all for me! I'm always using hats but like you mention you can't use them all the time. Please look up a group on Facebook called Sebaceous Hyperplasia 

On 6/2/2018 at 6:13 PM, netrox said:

For over two years, I have sebaceous hyperplasia (white bumps due to clogged glands) popping up on my forehead and they are distressing to me because they appear prominently in photos when shot from an angle that's not facing toward the camera. 

I went to the dermatologist and asked for electrodissection two years ago, and he refused saying it may leave scars. He prescribed Differin and said it will take about six months. At that time, it was prescription only and it cost $100 so I said forget it. I am not paying $100 a month to see if it works or not. 

Fortunately, now Differin is OTC and it's only 10 dollars (amazon website) and I ordered it. And a month later of consistent application, I am truly stunned at how significant my forehead has improved. The bumps are almost totally flat. 

But let me also say that I also took azythromocin and doxycline for pneumonia so I don't know how much role those meds play at clearing my bumps. 

Attached is the picture of before and after. Does anyone ever try this with success? I am asking because Google keeps coming up empty handed with Differin to treat sebaceous hyperplasia. 

Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 12.47.22 PM.jpg

I'm truly amazed because Retin A nor Differin did anything to get rid of sebaceous hyperplasia on my face

On 12/7/2018 at 4:08 PM, AngieK said:

I have those too... Differin didn't work for me though unfortunately. I'm about to start my second course of accutane :-/

Have you noticed improvement? I'm asking my dermatologistto put me on Accutane 

MemberMember
(@s909)

Posted : 05/12/2020 7:33 am

Hello Netrox

Using Differin has made a huge difference to your hyperplasia looking at the before & after photos , I see the post is quite old , have you got any further updates ?

MemberMember
(@gutskinaxis)

Posted : 05/12/2020 12:59 pm

It's a food intolerance hypersensitivity reaction

Elimination diet would clear this

MemberMember
(@phased)

Posted : 08/19/2020 8:12 am

Would love to hear how your sebaceous hyperplasia is behaving two years on! Are you still using Differin? Thanks