Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone log

MemberMember
(@aviva)

Posted : 05/31/2018 5:42 pm

Hi guys! I just got my prescription of Spiro 50mg/day for three months to see if it's effective for my skin. I decided to have a log on acne.org to update you on the results (if any!)

Background: stubborn acne, started when I was ~9/10 years old, am 21 now. I did Accutane when it was severe (face, back, chest - inflamed, red, etc). Since getting off Accutane my skin + hair became oily again, and I have been experiencing more comedones and some inflamed pimples on my face and chest again. My pre-emptive move was to try Spiro in case the breakouts got out of hand again.

My diet is low-carb and low in dairy. Day 1 and so far, nothing to report! :)

MemberMember
(@aviva)

Posted : 06/01/2018 8:12 pm

This is only day 2 and unrelated to my skin per se, but omg I shaved and my hair regrowth is so SLOW?! I think this may be related to Spiro, as it is an anti-androgen. Surprised to see that happen just so fast, though.

MemberMember
(@aviva)

Posted : 06/04/2018 7:37 pm

It is day 4 and I've lost about weight! I'm at 110lbs now which is a low weight I usually don't get - but I'm thinking it might be water weight? I do pee a FREAKING LOT and need to drink 100% more than I used to.
I feel like my skin is less oily, but of course not 100% better. But after work I definitely didn't end up a sweaty-looking mess like I usually do.
I broke out on my chest - that's where I get comedones kinda + blackheads. I wonder if that will end with spiro too? Anybody knows about this? Sigh.

So far all is good - though no drastic changes.

MemberMember
(@aviva)

Posted : 06/07/2018 5:53 pm

Day 7, don't feel like it's working much -- but slightly less oily (unless that too, is wishful thinking). New spots on chest.

MemberMember
(@aviva)

Posted : 06/10/2018 4:33 pm

Day 11: no major face breakouts, but persistent few cysts on my back + comedones. Slightly less oily in T-zone.
... Eh, spiro.

MemberMember
(@aviva)

Posted : 06/16/2018 11:28 am

Day 17: I feel like my skin is improving... Got new pimple on my left cheek but it's healing kinda, and pimple on chest is healing quicker also.
I think I have nasty side-effects though: very unpleasant diarrhea + extra fast bowel movement... The very first day this started, I lost so much in fluids I became extremely light-headed and bp dropped like crazy... Awful. Now, it's getting better -- hopefully the bowel stuff is temporary.

More unpleasant: non. stop. spotting.

Gahhhh

MemberMember
(@aviva)

Posted : 06/22/2018 6:45 pm

Day 23: breaking out around mouth + chin, whiteheads. Back has texture. Skin still oily AF. Sigh.

MemberMember
(@aviva)

Posted : 07/01/2018 5:29 pm

Month 1, day 1: just had my very first painful cyst on cheek since starting, very inflamed. No significant improvement in terms of oiliness. I might go with the Accutane round 2 route.

MemberMember
(@aviva)

Posted : 09/22/2018 11:04 pm

Month 3, day 24: not the miracle drug I hoped for, but sort of controls the severity of my breakouts until I can get on Accutane round 2. Thinking of going back on it after Accutane round in order to maintain the results.
Overall, I got quite a few pimples and lost a bit of hope along the way... Skin is still oily but less than pre-Accutane, get some weird ass forehead pimples etc, they last long time... But it's not as bad doing nothing about my skin.

Currently have a refill prescription for a year + 1 one extra month. So, yay?

Oh, and cool thing: it made my boobs bigger! The boyfriend is not complaining.