Notifications
Clear all

Quitting Benzoyl Peroxide (BP) forever, FINALLY!!!!

MemberMember
(@veganagogo)

Posted : 05/31/2018 1:27 pm

I have been using the regimen benzoyl peroxide for over 10 years. I am now 42 and after trying to quit using it twice, the third time was a charm. I have learned a lot about myself and acne during this process. After using this product for such a long time, DO NOT just quit. Reduce the amount you use, for example, if you use it twice daily in a certain amount, reduce either down the amount you use one of the times, etc. I used it twice a day in a quarter size regularly. I reduced down to twice a day in a smaller amount until I was using a pea size amount. I reduced the amount every two weeks. Once I was down to a pea size, I reduced to once a day. This was a 4 month process. Then, I finally stopped. Yes, I broke out a lot!!!!!! Even after reducing the amount. I decided to go the natural route and after a lot of research, decided on using help oil (a comedogenic rating of 0) as a daily cleanser (oil cleansing method) and to heal the acne. I also used a product by andalou, Argan stem cell with salicylic acid and willow bark to help turn over the cells. Salicylic acid in this product is very mild, it can create some peeling if you use too much, a little goes a long way. the new acne I had cleared faster using these two products. I also experimented with apple cider vinegar and aloe. It has been since the middle of March since I have used BP. I am still breaking out a bit along my chin, sides of face and jaw line. BP has effected my sebum production, and thus these places that I have broken out are from y hormones readjusting the proper oil production. I also have taken hemp oil internally, as well and a DHE and EPA supplement to help support my hormones in perimenopause. I eat a whole foods diet and have for years, the cleaner I eat the less acne I have. From this process, there is NO quick fix when being on BP for a long time other than deep breathes, patience and self love. I stopped the BP as I was getting crepe skin, tons of wrinkles, small, hardened bumps all over, and the overall texture of my skin was of an old woman at 42, this started when I was 36. My skin has returned a lot of the plumpness, and the small bumps have slowly diminished. I am still healing, as I used the BP for over 10 years. It will take over a year for my skin to balance out, a month for every year at least. But I am confident in this choice, to stop the chemicals. I do express great appreciation to acne.org and Daniel Kern, but wish he would have provided warnings that this chemical would be a life long commitment and stopping the BP would not stop the acne, only the root of the cause will... proper diet for each person, exercise, clean living, reduced stress and self love. Acne.org store is a for profit business, and once hooked on a medicine, the cash flows. I wish I had known about this a long time ago. I do appreciate the BP helped for awhile, about 4 years, but then slowly began destroying my skin. It was a hard and long time to stop the BP, the first two times I gave up, as I broke out EVERYWHERE as I stopped cold turkey. You will still break out if you have been using BP for a long time, even if you wean yourself off of it. But, please give it time. At least a month for every 1/2 year you have been using it to heal. Stick with a few products and changes for at least 2 months before changing again to give your body time to adjust. It takes time and self love. I hope my story helps others, as I have never contributed here, but have read stories for years.

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 06/04/2018 9:20 am

I agree, reading about BP really scared me and I also stopped myself after I realised that red marks just wouldn't fade when using BP; it halted skin healing. The texture of my skin was also horrible. I also find that a clean diet prevents inflammation and plumps my skin up. I now use Lactic Acid at night to encourage skin turnover and a herbal spot treatment with Thyme (Lush Grease Lightning), which works pretty much as well as BP anyway... I just can't use it during the day as it flakes!

Keep up the great work :)

MemberMember
(@olbesalejandra)

Posted : 02/09/2019 1:15 pm

Ive been using BP for almost 6 years. Am 37 now and very scared but I now I have to quit. Just the thought of going back to those horrible thysts on my chin makes me wanna cry.

MemberMember
(@veganagogo)

Posted : 02/10/2019 11:34 am

I have found a product line, the Original, changed everything for me in my journey. I am now clear and free of acne almost completely! It has been almost a year, so patience!!!!!!! I am told I look fo 10 years younger a lot, my tone is great and fine lines gone. PLEASE be patient and kind to yourself and give yourself at least 1 month for every year you were using BP and then one more month to repair. It can be a painful experience, but so worth it in the end. Much luck, please reach out for support!

MemberMember
(@karenm)

Posted : 02/10/2019 12:39 pm

1 hour ago, veganagogo said:

I have found a product line, the Original, changed everything for me in my journey. I am now clear and free of acne almost completely! It has been almost a year, so patience!!!!!!! I am told I look fo 10 years younger a lot, my tone is great and fine lines gone. PLEASE be patient and kind to yourself and give yourself at least 1 month for every year you were using BP and then one more month to repair. It can be a painful experience, but so worth it in the end. Much luck, please reach out for support!

What products do you use from Original?

MemberMember
(@mae)

Posted : 11/29/2020 9:23 am

How is your skin doing now @veganagogo? Do you think the amount of sebum your skin produces has decreased?

I am 41 and have been using BP twice a day every day for 15 years. I recently tried stopping cold turkey and after a week my face broke out in every pore. So I went straight back to BP and did some research and concluded that long term BP use must have changed my oil glands so that I produce lots of sebum.

My week off BP was 3 months ago and my skin is still getting back to where it was when I quit. My plan is to let my skin get back to clear and then to try to gradually reduce my BP usage. I figure I can do this part super slowly since if I don't manage to quit, I am going to be on this stuff for the rest of my life anyway.

I wonder if it is possible for my oil production to get back to normal (non-BP) levels.

MemberMember
(@winenotwhine)

Posted : 08/15/2021 8:41 pm

On 11/29/2020 at 9:23 AM, mae said:

How is your skin doing now @veganagogo? Do you think the amount of sebum your skin produces has decreased?

I am 41 and have been using BP twice a day every day for 15 years. I recently tried stopping cold turkey and after a week my face broke out in every pore. So I went straight back to BP and did some research and concluded that long term BP use must have changed my oil glands so that I produce lots of sebum.

My week off BP was 3 months ago and my skin is still getting back to where it was when I quit. My plan is to let my skin get back to clear and then to try to gradually reduce my BP usage. I figure I can do this part super slowly since if I don't manage to quit, I am going to be on this stuff for the rest of my life anyway.

I wonder if it is possible for my oil production to get back to normal (non-BP) levels.

Tapering off is the best thing to do. Then slowly introduce a BHA as it goes skin deepwhere BP does not!