Notifications
Clear all

Has anyone recently been prescribed Spironolactone in the UK by GP/Derm/Gyn?.....

MemberMember
(@fluff)

Posted : 05/30/2018 8:13 am

After suffering with acne for 15 years and nothing working, I have tried every topical and over the counter product that has ever existed, three types of antibiotics, natural and herbal remedies, dietary changes and all to no avail. I have had enough. I have had two severe bouts of cystic acne when I was 18 and 22 and now at the age of 27 I have an oily t-zone and cystic spots all along my jawline on my chin and neck area which worsen and flare up around my period. I really don't want to try accutane beacuse of the side effects but really would like to try spironolactone as I think it could really help my hormonal acne and it has to be worth a try. However, I don't believe it is licenced in the UK to treat acne and so a lot of doctors won't prescribe it, anyone managed to get it prescribed recently in the UK, is there any hope?

MemberMember
(@angelinna)

Posted : 06/24/2018 12:09 pm

On May 30, 2018 at 6:13 AM, fluff said:
After suffering with acne for 15 years and nothing working, I have tried every topical and over the counter product that has ever existed, three types of antibiotics, natural and herbal remedies, dietary changes and all to no avail. I have had enough. I have had two severe bouts of cystic acne when I was 18 and 22 and now at the age of 27 I have an oily t-zone and cystic spots all along my jawline on my chin and neck area which worsen and flare up around my period. I really don't want to try accutane beacuse of the side effects but really would like to try spironolactone as I think it could really help my hormonal acne and it has to be worth a try. However, I don't believe it is licenced in the UK to treat acne and so a lot of doctors won't prescribe it, anyone managed to get it prescribed recently in the UK, is there any hope?

When I lived in Europe a few years ago, I had a really difficult time finding a doctor who would prescribe Spiro for off-label use such as persistent adult acne. I finally found a derm that was sympathetic to my situation, I literally cried my eyes out and she prescribed a low dose. Unfortunately, I had the worst side effects in the first week and had to give it up. Here in the US, derms, for the most part, feel that Spiro is safe and don't have a problem with prescribing it for acne. I encourage to keep trying to find someone that will prescribe it because this stuff works for many women with hormonal acne, including myself. Just know that due to many formulations of this med, it may take several tries before you find one with no/few side effects.