Notifications
Clear all

Herbs, supplements & topicals that have helped me clear my skin

MemberMember
(@sophie1987)

Posted : 05/28/2018 11:07 am

Last week I had a very bad outbreak of acne on my face. It may have been a rash, but it looked like acne and acted like acne. Instead of doing nothing, I went full force with some herbs and supplements that have now brought my face back to normal or even better than it was before. This is also in the midst of my time of the month, when my acne is usually worse. I read a lot of posts on here that helped, so if my post helps someone else make a connection that's great too.

I have included some pictures to show the improvement on both sides of my face. It's pretty drastic if you ask me. I posted about this in another forum, but didn't get many replies. It all started when I started adding maca powder (gelatinized kind, not raw) to my smoothies. After a few days I had a really bad reaction. I hadn't changed much else during that time, so I still attribute it to the maca root and have since discontinued it. Even a few days after ditching the maca root my face was still the same.

Here is what I did. I continued with a liver support tincture by Botanica with milk thistle, dandelion, watercress and turmeric in it. I also added a Burdock tincture, a reishi mushroom and echinacea tincture, a probiotic by Udo and some Vitamin D/K2 drops. Also some borage seed oil, topically and internally. I made herbal infusions of nettle daily. I also bought zinc and vitamin E, but didn't get around to taking them yet. I was also hoping to add cod liver oil but it hasn't arrived in the mail yet. I have ordered Rosita EVCO which I hear is one of the best. I plan to add in gelatin and re-order broth that I buy fro ma local farmer (the gelled kind).

I already have a good diet, although many of you would disagree with my intake of dairy, I try to eat as many nourishing foods as possible and keep my carb intake pretty low. I eat a lot of fish (especially bone and skin on canned salmon) and get a mix of beef/lamb, chicken, pork and some organ meat for varied nutrition. I only eat fermented and organic dairy from grass fed cows, usually some kefir, butter, some cream, buttermilk and some cheese. I wish I could get it raw but it's not possible where I live. I only eat truly fermented sourdough bread and not much. Usually my carbs are fruit, dairy, white rice and potato/sweet potato. I always eat a good fat and protein and some acid in every meal to keep blood sugar stable. Basically I follow Paul Jaminet's "Perfect Health Diet", and also enjoy Christ Kresser's dietary advice. The only sugar I take in is from dark chocolate, maple syrup occasionally and honey. 

In healing this particular outbreak/rash, I wanted to focus on supplements and herbs that would be cooling and anti-inflammatory, anti-androgen and anti-histamine producing. Nettle infusions (dried herb with boiling water steeped over night) really started making a difference right away. It is a very cooling drying herb, so redness started to dissipate and then my face was really dry for a few days. To counter this I had to exfoliate with my usual honey masks, and I put borage oil and raw shea butter on my face. The topical borage oil has also made a huge difference. Reishi and nettle both help to lower histamine response and androgens, and echinacea boosts the immune response and is anti-inflammatory. It has been studied to be useful in healing acne. The liver support herbs and burdock are also cooling and drying and so I added slippery elm to counter that. 

Almost all the bumps have dissipated now and redness and hyperpigmentation is started to go away. My face was like a volcano. I am still going to continue researching and experimenting with different herbs and dietary supplements long term to see what effect they may have on my usual hormonal acne.

IMG_3530.JPG

IMG_3531.JPG

IMG_3613.JPG

IMG_3616.JPG

MemberMember
(@jck17)

Posted : 05/28/2018 3:02 pm

Wow. Congratulations. Were the herbs prescribed by a naturopath or you chose the yourself?
Will you continue taking the herbs long term?
Your skin looks great!

MemberMember
(@sophie1987)

Posted : 05/28/2018 10:41 pm

7 hours ago, Jck17 said:

Wow. Congratulations. Were the herbs prescribed by a naturopath or you chose the yourself?
Will you continue taking the herbs long term?
Your skin looks great!

Thanks Jck17. I've been dabbling in herbs for most of my life so I've studied them a lot. I was on the path to become a herbalist at one point, but time and money got in the way. Maybe someday... So I did not consult a naturopath. I always test a herb first to see how it will make me feel. If anything, I noticed the milk thistle liver support complex had a calming effect. It has been purported to be useful for anxiety disorders.

A few others have posted about how herbal infusions have helped their skin and I have been wanting to try some for awhile. I like the taste of herbs though and nettle is kind of like a mineral tasting iced tea, but sort of more plant tasting. I like it. I want to get my hands on some red clover next.

How has your healing been? Anything that is helping you?

I also love manuka honey and it's pretty much all I use to wash my face, as a mask. Skinactives.com is my favourite place for topicals. I love all of their creams, serums etc. Really amazing stuff. It's none offensive too in terms of irritating ingredients. Their acne line is great and so are their more nourishing creams like the dream cream. Their collagen serum is one of the few things that helps keep my dry skin at bay. They put so many great things in their products, amazing antioxidants and ceramides and cholesterols, etc. etc. They really know what they're doing and you can buy your own actives to mix into creams or serums. I like to get willow bark and niacinamide to add in to different creams. Another great calming mask to try is raw or manuka honey and slippery elm. Leave it on your face for an hour or so and wash off. So calming for redness.