Notifications
Clear all

12 year long suffer-Any suggestions?

MemberMember
(@pinksandypaws)

Posted : 05/27/2018 1:37 pm

Hey everyone :)
I'm looking for some advice. I'm at the end of my ropes. I'm a 22 year old female who has struggled with acne since I was ten. I get a little bit of everything which is why I think it's been so hard to tackle. I've been to several different derms and tried a million different things excluding accutane. 
Up to date I've tried several different kinds of birth control (currently on orthotricyclen), antibiotics, creams, gels, washes, diets, natural remedies, chemical peels, extractions, you name it.

I have strange skin, in my opinion, which produces a lot of oil but can still look dry and dehydrated. Every day, I drink only water (no caffeine or alcohol) and sports drinks after I exercise.  My current treatment is oral birth control,  spironolactone, retin-a gel,  benzoyl peroxide cream, and oil free moisturizer. I cleanse with cerave(used to use cetaphil). 

I thought testosterone may be an issue so my dr. Prescribed spiro to see (no dramatic results yet but oil production has decreased). I do get red hormonal pimples around my period but the closed comdones and black heads have been a constant since I was 10 and are especially noticeable when I smile. I have no family history of acne or any skin issue really. I eat the healthiest, drink the most water,  and sleep well most of the time so it seems unfair really when my brother can drink alcohol and mountain dew, eat cheetos and fried foods, sleeps about 5 hours every night and sits in front of computers all day has perfectly smooth skin!!

I attached some pictures and I'm praying SOMEONE out there has experience and solved acne like mine! I want to see what everyone else has done that may help me since I've exhausted all my options. I'm desperate!

(also my skin generally isn't so red as the pictures are making them see, i think it's just the camera, sorry!!) 

-sandypaws

20180527_140832.jpg

20180527_140806.jpg

20180527_140749.jpg

20180527_140727.jpg

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 05/28/2018 10:00 am

what type ofsports drinks do you use?

what strengthbenzoyl peroxide cream are you using?

MemberMember
(@pinksandypaws)

Posted : 05/28/2018 11:13 am

Hi MrBakery! :)
I use 10%. It's is usually pretty effective at keeping the pimples at bay but doesn't do much for the other stuff. 
I drink sugar free powerade most days but will get the occasional regular ones if I feel particularly rough to get my electrolytes back in. 

MemberMember
(@mountainsbaby13)

Posted : 05/31/2018 2:54 pm

Coconut water is a healthier option in getting your electrolytes rather than those sports drinks.

Do you exfoliate? I'm no expert... I'm still figuring out what causes my acne

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/31/2018 7:29 pm

I feel your pain. I'm 34 and been dealing with acne on and off since 16

Spiro takes a while to kick in so i would recommend giving it 6 months before chucking it. Also, as someone suggested, look into diet. Sports drinks whether sugar or sugar free are crap. How much sugar are you eating daily? Do you consume lots of dairy and gluten? Do you exercise? How about your stress level?

Diet is not always the cause but i healthy diet and lifestyle can be the key for many people.

Good Luck!

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 05/31/2018 9:20 pm

On 28/05/2018 at 5:13 PM, pinksandypaws said:

Hi MrBakery! :)
I use 10%. It's is usually pretty effective at keeping the pimples at bay but doesn't do much for the other stuff. 
I drink sugar free powerade most days but will get the occasional regular ones if I feel particularly rough to get my electrolytes back in. 

ive used quite a few  different  sports products in the past,  although they gave me a big boost, they always seemed to break me out. - not for me to tell you what to do but  you could do an experiment by not taking those sports drinks for two weeks to see if your skin clears up?

i would also Recommend reading up on skin problems which look like acne but I'm not - yeast problems, demodex mites, Folliculitis etc

MemberMember
(@teddyjames)

Posted : 06/02/2018 6:49 pm

First of all, you have an INCREDIBLE smile (guys love great smiles):)
You're a pretty woman, and your case isn't that bad. I'd say let time take it's course, it's only temporary. Don't pick! Don't use stuff that will burn the crap out of your skin! Other than that, keep living your life and know that if could always be worse.

P.S
(you're beautiful! Don't think otherwise)