Notifications
Clear all

Spiro not working like it used to

MemberMember
(@tennis123)

Posted : 05/24/2018 9:54 pm

Hello-
I had great success with YAZ and Spiro together. I took 100mg Spiro with Yaz. I'm 38 yo, have struggled with acne for what feels like FOREVER!!!! I am so sick of it:( My skin was great off of yaz for about 6 months (still taking 100mg Spiro). It went kind of rogue at that point, with a cyst or 2 per month. I went up to 150mg spiro in October. I really thought it was my miracle worker, and I keep seeing people saying that here, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I take LOTS of supplements- Methyl Guard, dim, super milk thistle, accnutrol, fish oil....probably more....I get a microderm every month or so. I also did one month straight of Solodyn (which helped) and have used it as a spot treatment. I am still getting cysts and I am so frustrated. I'm considering another month or two of Solodyn. Has anyone experienced this?? The Spiro not working as well without the BC combo???

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/26/2018 8:56 pm

i experienced the same thing with spiro. It took forever to start working and when it did, it only lasted for a few months then stopped working. I never did use it with BC. Some people do need to do both spiro and BC to get it to work - not sure why. Any particular reason you stopped Yaz?

MemberMember
(@tennis123)

Posted : 05/27/2018 12:15 pm

Thanks for the reply. I really didn't want to stop Yaz. I was concerned about the exogenous hormones, and how they were going to effect me long term. My blood pressure also went up. Because of this, I don't think doctors would prescribe them to me again. I would consider getting back on if that weren't the case. I'm going to ask the derm about taking 175 or 200 mg for a few months to see if that helps. Have you heard of people taking this dose? Studies site the dose for acne as 50-200mg, but I don't hear of many people taking that much. My cycle is pretty regular. THe first month I went from 100 to 150 it was thrown off a bit. I also think the Spiro makes me tired.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/27/2018 6:41 pm

The maximum dose for acne that i have heard of is 200. My periods got wonky too whenever i adjusted my dosage. Birth Control is garbage so it's probably best to not go back on it.

Good luck on your journey. I'm in a similar boat where spiro is not working anymore. I'm currently working with a naturopath trying to find gentler alternatives (it hasn't produced results yet but we'll see)