Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ellachaston

Has anyone used Yasmin Pill or Birth Control to clear their acne? How long does it take?

Hey guys,

I need some skincare advice as I am extremely upset with my complexion. I have always had clear skin up until March this year when I broke out massively, at the age of 22, I am talking twenty plus spots not one or two! Due to having anorexia for six years, I have never really had my periods regularly and I am still having them rather infrequently. I went straight to the doctors and I had blood tests done. My vitamins were all fine and my liver/gut both came back healthy however my estrogen levels and testosterone levels were both low, my estrogen levels being super duper low! So I have a testosterone dominance. I have been prescribed the Yasmin Birth Control Pill and I was told it would bring up my estrogen levels to make them balanced with my testosterone levels, clearing my acne. However, I have been on them for more than a month and my acne has not cleared and is still very persistent. If you have any advice or have been on a birth control for acne please comment below. I had to move back from university for a while as I wouldn't leave my room due to the acne and this has led to my depression returning. I also quit my job as it was very face on face and I just couldn't take it:( I just want to peel my face off.

Thanks, Ells

Other things I am doing: cut out dairy, eating more fruit and veg, started using Clinique Three Step Blemish Kit (hasn't seemed to help at all), using topical treatment Zineryt nightly (decreases acne by morning but acne will become worse during the course of the day), cut out coffee and soft drinks, drinking water and peppermint tea daily, already vegetarian, wearing non-clonogenic makeup (cut down on using foundation so much), switching pillowcases every few days, taking supplements which contain omega3 and zinc. Ive been doing this since march AND NOOOOOOOOO IMPROVEMENTS!

Hi, I have what I believe to be hormonal acne. Is always had mild acne when being a teen now (21) and it got better as I got older. I had my son in March and bam my acne is so bad. Like it’s moderate now. I’ve been taking Yasmin pill (Lucette) for nearly  1 month and 2 week it’s got worse than ever. I hope this is the “gets worse before it’s get betters” stage cos I’m like you I don’t even want to leave the house and my make up looks horrible on. Sorry I don’t really have an answer for you but wanted to share you my experience so far. Let me know how you get on.

I'm currently taking Loryna (a generic form of Yaz) for my hormonal acne. After the first week or so, my face went through a horrific breakout. I've been on the pill for almost two full months and my skin hasn't really cleared up yet. However, I have noticed that my breakouts are starting to lessen and I'm not getting as much cystic acne as I used to. Just give it at least 3-4 months to see if your skin starts to improve. Although my skin looks terrible, I am optimistic that it'll get better with time.

Also, I used the Clinique Acne Solutions system last summer and it personally did wonders for my skin. I just started using the system again because other products I tried didn't work for me. It did take at least a month to see any kind of improvement but the products are definitely not for everyone! It was one of the few topical treatments for me though that drastically improved my acne.

I'm doing the same things as you (diet wise and clinique products) and nothing is working either. Which means it really must be hormonal.
So I would be very confused if the yasmin pil doesn't work. Just like you and the other commenters ^^ I still haven't seen any results.

I'm on the yasmin pil for 2 months and 3 days now, my acne is still bad. But month 2 was the worst !! Be prepared for an initial breakout, unless you're lucky. I'm also going to be persistent and give it at least 3 months / 4 months. I can keep you updated if you want.

This probably wasn't helpful but maybe it can also show you you're not alone and I know how hard it is trust me but let's stay patient ..

My best advice would be to just wait it out for another one to two months. My gynaecologist told me it would be a while before I would see any results, so I plan to just keep waiting. However, my dermatologist just told me she wants to put me on Accutane, so I might be seeing different results when I'm on both of these medications than if I were just taking Beyaz (my form of birth control). 

I´ve been on it since the end of March this year and am slowly seeing improvements. I still get a few bumps around my chin and jawline though which, for some reason, tend to get worse during the day as well :smileys_n_people_38:
I had a few glycolic peels back in March and April because I was desperate, which I heavily regret doing, but all in all I think the pill is helping, it just needs time. My breakouts are nowhere as bad as they once were.

I have been on (and these are the ones I remember) from the age of 12: Yasmin, Dianette, Cilest and Microgynan. I'm currently on Qlaira (not good for acne in my experience).

I had a problem where one would work for something but cause another problem. For example, one of the aforementioned pills made my legs hurt really bad, the aches were unbearable - I don't remember which one but knowing my luck it was the one that helped with my acne! 

I didn't take the pill for my acne, it was purely period related but for the past six years, on/off on Qlaira, it didn't make my skin better. My teenage years were spot free but as soon as I hit my 20's... Bam! It all started.

On 27-6-2018 at 10:51 PM, HellOnHeels said:

My best advice would be to just wait it out for another one to two months. My gynaecologist told me it would be a while before I would see any results, so I plan to just keep waiting. However, my dermatologist just told me she wants to put me on Accutane, so I might be seeing different results when I'm on both of these medications than if I were just taking Beyaz (my form of birth control). 

And do you notice any difference?
I'm on month 4 now going into month 5 and my chin breakout has been the worst >.<

I’m on my first month of Yasmin for acne and my acne has never looked worse (bear in mind I’ve been on medication for years, mostly antibiotics). It’s affecting my confidence so much I don’t want to meet people or go out because my skin just looks awful, red and covered with even more breakouts. I’m experiencing breakouts in places I never used to get them like my upper arms and cheeks. I know you’re supposed to give it 3-4 months but I honestly don’t know whether I can keep it up from a mental health standpoint. I actively avoid looking at my face and I have lost so much confidence and I don’t know how to proceed.

7 hours ago, Hollycs said:

I’m on my first month of Yasmin for acne and my acne has never looked worse (bear in mind I’ve been on medication for years, mostly antibiotics). It’s affecting my confidence so much I don’t want to meet people or go out because my skin just looks awful, red and covered with even more breakouts. I’m experiencing breakouts in places I never used to get them like my upper arms and cheeks. I know you’re supposed to give it 3-4 months but I honestly don’t know whether I can keep it up from a mental health standpoint. I actively avoid looking at my face and I have lost so much confidence and I don’t know how to proceed.

Hang in there! I was in the same boat when I first started birth control and I had the worst breakout of my entire life during the first month. I’ve been on BC for almost four months and my skin has cleared up a lot since. The only thing I have left to worry about is the scarring from the initial breakout but just give it time! 

11 hours ago, gabbyxc said:

Hang in there! I was in the same boat when I first started birth control and I had the worst breakout of my entire life during the first month. I’ve been on BC for almost four months and my skin has cleared up a lot since. The only thing I have left to worry about is the scarring from the initial breakout but just give it time! 

I've experienced exactly the same. Really bad initial breakout for 2 months, and after that I was kinda clear for a while. But this week (month 4) I've had a really bad breakout on my chin and it's still ongoing, like really bad and it's spreading to my whole face these days. Do you think that I should continue in the hopes  that it takes more time? Or just switch BC

On 8/16/2018 at 11:28 AM, Yasminexra said:

I've experienced exactly the same. Really bad initial breakout for 2 months, and after that I was kinda clear for a while. But this week (month 4) I've had a really bad breakout on my chin and it's still ongoing, like really bad and it's spreading to my whole face these days. Do you think that I should continue in the hopes  that it takes more time? Or just switch BC
I would give it maybe another month and if you're still having issues, switch BC!

3 minutes ago, gabbyxc said:
On 16-8-2018 at 6:28 PM, Yasminexra said:

I would give it maybe another month and if you're still having issues, switch BC!
I think I'll do that. I actually thought about going on a second round for accutane or adding spiro but those things also take months with an inital breakouts. Do you think another BC could do the job because I just concluded that birth control overall wasn't for me