Notifications
Clear all

Is the Caveman Regimen Worth it??

MemberMember
(@sophiababy)

Posted : 05/21/2018 12:26 am

Some background information to start off..
I am 17, currently one month from graduating highschool. From what I can remember, my skin only started giving me major problems during my last two years, grade 11 til now. 
My forehead is where most of my acne is located, a lot of hyper pigmentation, unevenness, and pimples/whiteheads that come and go in waves. I also get a reoccurring whiteheads on my chin and near my mouth. My cheeks are clear and smooth, opposed to a pimple once and a while. I do get very oily (although my face used to be really dry) throughout the day as well.

I don't have a dermatologist in my town so topical treatments like that have been out of the question. My routine now consists of Tea Tree Scrub/Mask/Wash, tea tree toner, witch hazel toner and cetaphil cream, 2x a day. (this routine is fairly recent, I still had acne problems before this) This routine has kept some of my acne at bay but has never really "treated" it. I've restricted myself when it comes to greasy foods, sugar, and dairy and I drink lots of water however I didn't see much improvement.
I'm sick and tired of feeling self-conscious over my acne, I would kill to have close to perfect skin!!

My last resort would be this Caveman Regimen. I've been looking through a lot of forums and have seen mixed reviews on this. So I decided to give it a go myself, because what the hell! (although I do rinse my face in the morning and before bed, these last 4 days I haven't worn makeup but once i go back to school i will start to) I'm on day 4 currently and I'm not feeling very happy about it. I am aware of purging, I'm just curious to know if it's usually this bad? My old breakouts are healing fine but I've broken out tremendously on my forehead (literally the first day I started!), consisting of small whiteheads. The skin surrounding the whiteheads isn't inflamed like usually but there are a lot of them!
Is this just the purging period? And if so how long does it last? I've heard people say that the acne gets worse within the first 3 months of this, however my grad/prom is in a month and now I'm contemplating on whether or not I should stop now and try again after I'm done school, or ride it out for a couple weeks and see how my skin feels then?

Any input or advice or anything along those lines would be of great help! :)
(below is a photo of the state of my forehead now, day 4 of modified caveman regimen, doesn't look as bad on camera but its defintiely worse in person)IMG_8274.thumb.jpg.7954854567c5f400f885045b145cb1d2.jpg

MemberMember
(@blossomingskin)

Posted : 05/25/2018 8:49 pm

I™ve had the same issue as you with my skin with cheeks being fairly clear, forehead, chin being the main problem areas. I would recommend trying out the caveman regime, I did try it for about 1month and it really helped reduce redness and my spots were healing fairly quicker, I ended up going on holiday and started using miceller water to clean my face and this broke me out and I ended up stopping the caveman regime. But as far as I can rememebr I did not have any major breakouts during the caveman regime, my regime consisted of using water to wash my face once in the morning and once at night. However my skin did build up a lot of dry skin, so I™d recommend exfoliating atleast once every two weeks using something natural. Hope this helped :)

MemberMember
(@sophiababy)

Posted : 05/30/2018 7:56 pm

On 25/05/2018 at 7:49 PM, blossomingskin said:

I™ve had the same issue as you with my skin with cheeks being fairly clear, forehead, chin being the main problem areas. I would recommend trying out the caveman regime, I did try it for about 1month and it really helped reduce redness and my spots were healing fairly quicker, I ended up going on holiday and started using miceller water to clean my face and this broke me out and I ended up stopping the caveman regime. But as far as I can rememebr I did not have any major breakouts during the caveman regime, my regime consisted of using water to wash my face once in the morning and once at night. However my skin did build up a lot of dry skin, so I™d recommend exfoliating atleast once every two weeks using something natural. Hope this helped :)

Thank you for sharing your experience with this regimen! :) Unfortunately I ditched it haha! Trying to apply makeup over the drying skin was a mess! As well, I felt I would just wait til after graduation to try something as major as this. For now, I've focused on my diet and hoping this will at least get my skin at the best state in can be before prom. I'm drinking green tea daily to see if that'll help with the inflammation and I'm experimenting with cutting out gluten (which has been FRICKEN difficult haha) As well as a balanced diet of course.

MemberMember
(@blossomingskin)

Posted : 06/23/2018 5:03 pm

On 31/05/2018 at 1:56 AM, SophiaBaby said:
Thank you for sharing your experience with this regimen! :) Unfortunately I ditched it haha! Trying to apply makeup over the drying skin was a mess! As well, I felt I would just wait til after graduation to try something as major as this. For now, I've focused on my diet and hoping this will at least get my skin at the best state in can be before prom. I'm drinking green tea daily to see if that'll help with the inflammation and I'm experimenting with cutting out gluten (which has been FRICKEN difficult haha) As well as a balanced diet of course.

your welcome! Yes I agree if you were going to give the caveman regimen another go it would be best to also avoid makeup (I didn™t wear any when I did it apart from eye makeup) I™m also focusing on my diet currently, a low carb, sugar and dairy free diet is what I™m going to try out 

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 06/27/2018 6:10 pm

imo the caveman regimen is good way to test if your breaking out or getting redness due to a sensitivity to your current use of soaps/creams/ medicine or due over washing. after 1-2 weeks, if your skin calms down, you can reintroduce treatments to see if they cause you problems.

for me, it highlighted the fact i was sensitive to soap and use to over wash my face -ive gone from washing my face from 5+ times a day to just once with water and have seen a great improvement.

MemberMember
(@sickofacnee)

Posted : 06/27/2018 7:55 pm

during my younger teen years, i too had mild acne on my forehead and chin (never had a single pimple on my cheeks) until i turned 18, pimples starting appearing one by one on my cheeks and it didnt stop. they eventually became huge clustered red cysts and i tried literally everything but nothing worked and it just became so bad that 3/5 of my face is covered with acne. anyway, i knew that something was wrong with the stuff that i was putting on my face because it wasn't helping so i started the cavemen regimen (a mortified one thou, splashed sea salt water on my face and let it sit for a few minutes then ill wash it off). anyway, it helped at first but then the cysts came back again and even worse. i was so depressed, i didnt know what to do and then i realized that it may have to do with the cup of apple cider vinegar + honey drink that i drink every morning. i cut out the honey and continued drinking ACV with water, it has been 3 weeks now and no new cyst has appeared and my old ones seem to be healing/drying really quickly :) oh and I'm still on the cavemen regimen and its doing greaaaat!