Notifications
Clear all

Dermatologist and Accutane (Isotretinoin)

MemberMember
(@sweetcelsius)

Posted : 05/20/2018 4:53 pm

Background Story:
I classify my acne situation as mild to moderate acne. I'm a teenager (14 years old) and find my acne becoming uncomfortable for me and slightly unsettling. I am planning on seeing a dermatologist for my situation. I have not tried much options for my acne except for a face cleanser (neutrogena) which I have been using twice a day for 6 weeks now. I have heard of Accutane (Isotretinoin) and feel like it might be a great option for me. I'm worried that when seeing my dermatologist, I have not had much experience with more alternatives for my face, and the dermatologist will decide to not prescribe me Accutane (Isotretinoin). I have suffered with acne since age 12 and determined Accutane will treatment me with a 90% chance of success. If I understand the side affects and let my dermatologist know I feel more comfortable using Accutane as an alternative, will they prescribe Accutane as a treatment depending on my situation or is it required for me to try other alternatives over the course of 2-3 years in order for me to start Accutane?

Other similar questions:
1. Is it required for me to try every option for my acne in order for a dermatologist to prescribe Accutane (Isotretinoin) as a treatment?
2.Can a dermatologist prescribe Accutane (Isotretinoin) if a patient is uncooperative in trying alternatives?
Will a dermatologist prescribe Accutane (Isotretinoin) if a patient feels more comfortable going that route?

MemberMember
(@pleasehelp123)

Posted : 05/29/2018 4:52 am

So you've read the side effects of accutane, you've heard the health risks and on-going chronic challenges some people suffer and self admittedly you've only ever tried 1 remedy to try and resolve your mild to moderate acne. I think you've just answered your own question.

You're 14 - exhaust other options before using Accutane. Accutane is not fun to take. Everyone reacts differently and its common for there to be permanent side effects. Permanently chapped lips, seb derm, facial flushing, skin hypersensitivity, anxiety, angular chilitis, lower back pain and body rashes are some of the side effects i personally experienced.

8 years on and i still have chapped lips (use lip balm daily), seb derm around my nose and on my scalp, hypersensitive skin and for 2 years after facial flushing which i now have under control through the usage of other medication and preventative measures.

Enjoy being young, acne isnt forever, try other options...

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 05/29/2018 7:17 am

On 5/20/2018 at 10:53 PM, SweetCelsius said:

Background Story:
I classify my acne situation as mild to moderate acne. I'm a teenager (14 years old) and find my acne becoming uncomfortable for me and slightly unsettling. I am planning on seeing a dermatologist for my situation. I have not tried much options for my acne except for a face cleanser (neutrogena) which I have been using twice a day for 6 weeks now. I have heard of Accutane (Isotretinoin) and feel like it might be a great option for me. I'm worried that when seeing my dermatologist, I have not had much experience with more alternatives for my face, and the dermatologist will decide to not prescribe me Accutane (Isotretinoin). I have suffered with acne since age 12 and determined Accutane will treatment me with a 90% chance of success. If I understand the side affects and let my dermatologist know I feel more comfortable using Accutane as an alternative, will they prescribe Accutane as a treatment depending on my situation or is it required for me to try other alternatives over the course of 2-3 years in order for me to start Accutane?

Other similar questions:
1. Is it required for me to try every option for my acne in order for a dermatologist to prescribe Accutane (Isotretinoin) as a treatment?
2.Can a dermatologist prescribe Accutane (Isotretinoin) if a patient is uncooperative in trying alternatives?
Will a dermatologist prescribe Accutane (Isotretinoin) if a patient feels more comfortable going that route?

@Pleasehelp is absolutely right. Any dermatologist who gave you accutane at this point would be acting criminally. You will eventually grow out of acne, most do anyway. Except it will take time and live as healthily as you can - try and lead a drug free life.