Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I realised I needed to do something about my acne just this morning, I woke up late and when I was shaving the sun was in a funny area not where is usually is and lit up my whole face properly I could see very single spot properly and I've got quite a few bumps (only a few red spots but dozens of bumps). Before that I was obviously bothered by it but I didn't really make it a big deal.

Anyway I've been using Clean and Clear Cleansing Lotion for a while according to the ingredients its got Benzoic Acid which is what benzoyl peroxide breaks down into in the skin(?), so why doesn't this do anything for me? Isn't it the same as using a 2.5% BP cream (the bottle doesnt' give a concentration)? Or do I need to use the cream? I also recently started using tea tree oil and it seems to have stopped large painful sports (not cysts (which I don't get) just spots) from developing (its only been about a week since I started).

Also I read you should only clean your face twice a day but my face gets REALLY oily. Surely this will clog up the pours even more if I don't wash it out? If I rub my finger accross my nose a oil just rubs off onto my finger that's how bad it gets.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is; is my Cleanser with Benzoic Acid the same as using BP cream?

Thanks in advance for any help.

NB: Do they sell Neutrogena On-The-Spot in the UK?

I don't know about benzoic acid. Shaving can cause a lot of problems. Many men get bumps from shaving that resemble acne. This is a form of folliculitis. It is especially easy to get on the neck and chin area. Wash your face before you shave and keep your shaving equipment very clean. I wipe mine with alcohol every day. If you use a blade, change it at least once a week. I use an electric and have had a lot of success with it. Try not to shave over the same area twice.

i shave and i dont get acne where i shave.... but in your case, i would use a hair conditioner...it might sound stupid but i use it now cause its a closer shave and makes the skin softer.

i shave and i dont get acne where i shave.... but in your case, i would use a hair conditioner...it might sound stupid but i use it now cause its a closer shave and makes the skin softer.

That's kind of an "iffy" proposal. Hair conditioners probably contain comedogenic substances like oils. They may also contain fragrances that can irritate facial skin. Afterall, they are designed for hair. There are so many products designed specifically for shaving nowdays that I think he'd be better off going with one of those.

Where I shave I don't get acne I get bumps , but not acne. Whats annoying now I'm getting stubble where I have my acne so I can't shave it there properly otherwise I will cut up my face, although its not a big problem since its not heavy stubble.

BTW, what would happen if you grew a beard over your acne?

If you use an electric, you can more safely shave those hairs in areas with acne. Many derms say to either shave every day or grow a beard. Growing a beard would obviously cover your acne and it might give your face a much needed rest.