Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ponyo23

Thyroid Issues Possibly caused by Birth Control From two Years Ago?

Hello! I haven't been on here in quite a while. I first posted on here about two years ago after getting off Ortho Tri Cyclen which caused an extremely bad breakout after I discontinued it. For the most part before birth control, (which I was only on for a year and a half), I had mild but manageable and controllable acne. After birth control, which I got off due to weight gain, horrible constant migraines that caused vomiting, and just overall not feeling like myself, I had a terrible initial breakout that I struggled with clearing. After different topical and using cefadroxil orally on and off for about a year my acne seemed for the most part gone. Then a few months ago I started having health problems, muscles aches, headaches, feeling tired all the time. So I completely stopped using my antibiotic. I did find out that almost all of my blood test, and vitamin levels were normal except ana. I am ana positive (a bloodtest used to detect antibodies) my only other test, which I basically had to repeatedly ask for, that came back indicating anything was my thyroglobulin antibodies which is a bit higher than normal, (only other one they ever did was TSH and that was always low but within normal range) . What I find odd is for the last few years since getting off bc, I've been asking for them to test my thyroid since my periods have been messed up, I'm super cold all the time, I bruise easily, get headaches, and have a family history of thyroid issues. Since I've been off my antibiotic I've been breaking out and now that I know my thyroid antibodies are high  I'm wondering if this is why I've had such a problem for the last couple years with acne? Has anyone else experianced something similar or noticed a thyroid issue after discontinuing the pill?

Sidenote, since I know its mentioned a lot. I'm aware antibiotics are bad long term, I was only taking them when I absolutely needed them, and they weren't the first thing I went to when trying to get clear. I was already taking, and continued to do so on the antibiotic, probiotics along with vitamins. I also eat relatively healthy, drink lots of water and I'm currently trying a gluten free diet since I hear it can help with thyroid issues.

Edited by Ponyo23