Notifications
Clear all

Your Routine for Benzaclin and Differin 0.1%?

MemberMember
(@meruru)

Posted : 05/15/2018 1:03 pm

Hello. Curious to see what others were prescribed/advised these two and how you apply them. My doc said differin during the morning every 3 days and benzaclin each night. I had irritation from benzaclin on night 3 but figured that I might've used too much too fast. Because of this I did not start differin yet. I ceased use immediately. I have been using Neutrogena's BP clear pore wash for 10+ years and never had a problem, so I'm assuming that the concentration was too high for something I wasn't used to (the 5% BP and the clin.).

I stopped all BP for a few days and used a gentle precleanse to help soothe my face but now my face is clogged up because I'm Dumb and knew better, not irritated though. Usually I get a few pimples in a concentrated area and it goes away, but now I'm having small white heads on my cheeks and nose.

I was thinking of using benzaclin tonight but heard that it's better to wash it off after 30 mins or so to ease into it. But I use a nightly toner to help ease my redness, so washing it off would just wash off my other skin products. Either that or use it every other day once a day. How'd you guys ease into it? As for the differin do y'all think I should wait a week or two to see how my skin reacts to benzaclin? Haven't had acne problems in years but my stress has been kicking my ass. Any problems with using benzaclin in the day? I work in an office so I barely see the sun but the UV rays from the lights still pose a problem.

To combat the dryness I started using Cetaphil moisturizing lotion but realized it was for the body. So hoping the face one isn't too thick and I can still be hydrated without the whole clogged pore thing. I used to use Aczone during the day but RIP to this product because of my insurance.

MemberMember
(@minsat)

Posted : 05/21/2018 11:39 pm

I was only told to use Differin. Originally I had very oily skin prior to meds, but after using Differin my skin did get very very sensitive but it never dried out/peeled. Around the 2-4 week mark, my skin was so sensitive it hurt to put my face against the pillow and particularly cold wind hurt really really bad. To soothe my skin, I used a alcohol free witch hazel toner, some generic aloe vera gel and ponds moisturizing cream. I would then wait 20-30 minutes for my skincare to settle and then spply the differin. Overtime my skin got used to the differin and now I am around the 3 month hashmark. Now I do not use aloe vera or noght cream to buffer the differin anymore and just apply it straight after toner.

To combat dryness and protect your skin from the sun, I highly recommend getting korean facial sunscreen. While they are a little hard to find unless you live in a city like NYC or LA, you can find them online on amazon. The one I use is the Apieu pure block natural sun cream. Its moisturizing but definitely feels very different from your typical greasy feeling sunscreen (like the Neutrogena ones that make me very greasy and break out).

MemberMember
(@meruru)

Posted : 07/09/2018 1:31 pm

On Ž5Ž/Ž21Ž/Ž2018 at 9:39 PM, minsat said:

I was only told to use Differin. Originally I had very oily skin prior to meds, but after using Differin my skin did get very very sensitive but it never dried out/peeled. Around the 2-4 week mark, my skin was so sensitive it hurt to put my face against the pillow and particularly cold wind hurt really really bad. To soothe my skin, I used a alcohol free witch hazel toner, some generic aloe vera gel and ponds moisturizing cream. I would then wait 20-30 minutes for my skincare to settle and then spply the differin. Overtime my skin got used to the differin and now I am around the 3 month hashmark. Now I do not use aloe vera or noght cream to buffer the differin anymore and just apply it straight after toner. 

To combat dryness and protect your skin from the sun, I highly recommend getting korean facial sunscreen. While they are a little hard to find unless you live in a city like NYC or LA, you can find them online on amazon. The one I use is the Apieu pure block natural sun cream. Its moisturizing but definitely feels very different from your typical greasy feeling sunscreen (like the Neutrogena ones that make me very greasy and break out).

I just saw this but yea, I stopped BP all together since I started a sensitivity to it. I went back to my derm and she gave me the differin generic cream 0.1% to use every other night and clin. to use in the mornings. I've just been using the clin in the morning and the generic every night and my face feels OK for now. It's only day 4? So we'll see. Good recommendation though! I was looking at Korean skincare products, I'll have to try that out. I think some hypo-allogenic natural sunscreens break me out which is unfortunate. 

Right now I'm using an oil/acne wash (not medicated), a witch hazel toner, iS Clinical hydra-cool serum (which slightly stings after putting it on now, probably due to the differin sensitivity coming on), differin on my cheeks and chin only, then a moisturizer. I should try buffering it out until at least the month mark. The mornings I use the wash, toner, AHA essence, serum, moisturizer, then the clin. on my cheeks, nose, and chin. I am fine using the AHA and differin at different times of the day, it's just a BHA that will make my skin hate me.