Notifications
Clear all

Iron deficiency anaemia and acne?

MemberMember
(@flower_crowns)

Posted : 05/09/2018 5:06 am

Since around August last year, my skin (which was once very clear, maybe only 3-4 small non-inflamed spots) has been getting worse. At first it was just a few more on my forehead, but now it's covering my forehead, all along my hairline, a little on my cheeks and a bit on my chin. My back and chest doesn't have a lot of acne. Whilst I do struggle with picking acne on my face (though I have improved), I was wondering whether being extremely iron deficient could cause it to get worse. Since my iron deficiency started getting worse, so did my skin. I have trouble absorbing iron and will get infusions soon, as I literally have no iron left. I read something about the bacteria-causing acne multiplying a lot in low-oxygen environments, and since I have hardly any iron not as much oxygen is diffusing into my cells (including skin in this case). Do you think that could be a possible cause?
I don't eat dairy, eat lots of fruit and vegetables/wholefoods, minimal refined sugar, low gluten, etc. so I wouldn't really blame my lifestyle. Though I do have a pretty stressful life, it was the same before my acne.
I just want an answer as it makes me very insecure  Thank you xx

MemberMember
(@masud-rana)

Posted : 05/20/2018 4:43 am

Namely, postadolescent acne usually occurs in women of reproductive age. Nutritional anemia occurs from an insufficient intake of nutrients such as iron, folate and vitamin B12. ... OBJECTIVE: We aimed to investigate the relationship between postadolescent acne and nutritional anemia in this study.

MemberMember
(@mickey123)

Posted : 06/29/2018 7:30 am

Flower crowns, I felt like I was reading my own words when I read yours!

Stressful job, but managing and always have
Pick at my face, I just vowed on Monday never to pick or pop again....
Im pretty vegan
Self-conscious because of my skin
History of iron deficiency, just had lab work last week

Any updates for you?