Iron deficiency and...

Notifications
Clear all

Iron deficiency and acne?

MemberMember
(@flower_crowns)

Posted : 05/09/2018 4:51 am

Since around August last year, my skin (which was once very clear, maybe only 3-4 small non-inflamed spots) has been getting worse. At first it was just a few more on my forehead, but now it's covering my forehead, all along my hairline, a little on my cheeks and a bit on my chin. My back and chest doesn't have a lot of acne. Whilst I do struggle with picking acne on my face (though I have improved), I was wondering whether being extremely iron deficient could cause it to get worse. Since my iron deficiency started getting worse, so did my skin. I have trouble absorbing iron and will get infusions soon, as I literally have no iron left. I read something about the bacteria-causing acne multiplying a lot in low oxygen environments, and since I have hardly any iron not as much oxygen is diffusing into my cells (including skin). Do you think that could be a possible cause?
I don't eat dairy, eat lots of fruit and vegetables/wholefoods, minimal refined sugar, low gluten, etc. so I wouldn't really blame my lifestyle. Though I do have a pretty stressful life, it was the same before my acne.
I just want an answer as it makes me very insecure  Thank you xx
edit: i realise i accidentally put this in the wrong forum

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 05/11/2018 8:36 pm

i wouldnt know if acne is caused by poor iron levels but imo skin problems (like acne) can take hold when we are sick or our health is out of balance.

there seems to be some old threads here on the forum regarding a possible link between anemia and acne. worth doing a search.