Notifications
Clear all

Hormonal Acne Post Birth Control

MemberMember
(@rendu)

Posted : 05/05/2018 1:21 pm

So I stopped tri-sprinted (birth control pill) about a year ago and since then, my skin has been out of control. Based off what I™ve read, I™m pretty certain it™s hormonal. It was good for a couple months, and then had been progressively getting worse. It™s also unlike any acne I™ve ever had before. The texture is really gross looking, small bumps, lots of blackheads. I don™t know what to do. I™m awaiting an appointment with a dermatologist, and in the meantime I am using Beauty counter cleanser, cocokind natural products, and taking zinc supplements + a probiotic. Has anyone experienced this?! I keep waiting for my hormones to get back to normal but it really seems like it™s takig longer than it should. Side note: I was on the pill for about 6-7 years and have fairly sensitive skin. Help :(

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/06/2018 6:40 am

Did you have acne prior to going on the pill? Did that help clear it up of you did? Sometimes your body does not go back to baseline when you get off the pill. BC can mess with the different components and swing things in one direction or the other.

Rendu liked
MemberMember
(@michigander)

Posted : 05/17/2018 9:51 pm

Hi,

The same exact thing happened to me. You literally tried almost all the products I tried too, it's like reading my own post. My dermatologist said that if you stop taking your bc and then your acne gets super bad (like how mine did) it means you have a hormonal imbalance and the bc was controlling it. I am trying outspironolactone for 3 months. I tried butter me up organics face stuff, it's really amazing for sensitive skin and helped me out.

Hope this helps

Rendu liked
MemberMember
(@lexipixie)

Posted : 05/21/2018 6:25 am

Hi Rendu,

I came off BC about 4 years ago now and it. was. horrendous. Worst acne ever (and I've always had it since 14)- lots of whiteheads, texture and soreness all over my face. I'll be honest, it took me 9 months before it settled down to at least the acne I had before. It wasn't fun.
For the last few years now my acne's been confined to my mouth/chin/neck mostly wavering here and there for reasons I cannot understand (besides camping and flying which really piss it off). Supplements, treatments, skincare don't make much of a dent.
I've finally caved and started Spiro last week having sworn off any hormonal meds after BC. I'm 28 now and finding it hard to believe I've had acne for as long as I haven't.

I hope your skin settles down soon! For some people I know it only takes a couple of months...

Rendu and leelowe1 liked
MemberMember
(@rendu)

Posted : 08/21/2018 10:08 pm

Hi everybody!! I forgot my password for a bit and just saw these responses. Really glad to know its not just me. I ended up going back on birth control: however, my skin is still not settled down to what it used to be. To answer a few questions, I had mild acne prior to the pill, but nothing like what I was experiencing when I went off of it. For those of you that went on spiro, did it help?! Im interested to see, considering I am eventually going to need to go off birth control again at some point (Im only 24). Thank you again for the responses xx

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/22/2018 7:25 pm

Spiro helped somewhat. It took over a year for me to see consistent progress but it is far from the miracle worker i thought it would be. I'm currently looking for an alternative way to treat my acne.