Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kate22192

5 weeks into Spironolactone- INSANELY worse acne

Guys, I need help. And encouragement. I'm crying as I write this.

5 weeks ago my derm started me on Spiro to help with back acne. It is mild, but it has been a bit more uncontrolled recently. I already use Erythromycin topical in the morning, a BP 10% wash, and Salycylic acid in the evening. I started on 25mg, once a day, for 2 weeks. The past 3 weeks has been 50mg. Oh my god, the breakout I'm having on my back. I haven't seen my skin this bad, I think....EVER. It's inflamed, angry, awful. Easily 50+ angry pimples all over my upper back. I go to wash my back and it's like a gravelly road. 

Even if this clears, the scarring is going to be so bad. WHY is this happening? WHY would this happen, scientifically, on Spiro? It can't be a purge- I'm on so many meds already! And why is my face still fine, and not reacting like this?

NOTHING has changed expect Spiro. I went to the beach on Wednesday, was already beginning to break out, and then it just went nuts. Help!! :(

18 hours ago, Kate22192 said:

Guys, I need help. And encouragement. I'm crying as I write this.

5 weeks ago my derm started me on Spiro to help with back acne. It is mild, but it has been a bit more uncontrolled recently. I already use Erythromycin topical in the morning, a BP 10% wash, and Salycylic acid in the evening. I started on 25mg, once a day, for 2 weeks. The past 3 weeks has been 50mg. Oh my god, the breakout I'm having on my back. I haven't seen my skin this bad, I think....EVER. It's inflamed, angry, awful. Easily 50+ angry pimples all over my upper back. I go to wash my back and it's like a gravelly road. 

Even if this clears, the scarring is going to be so bad. WHY is this happening? WHY would this happen, scientifically, on Spiro? It can't be a purge- I'm on so many meds already! And why is my face still fine, and not reacting like this?

NOTHING has changed expect Spiro. I went to the beach on Wednesday, was already beginning to break out, and then it just went nuts. Help!! :(

If you are having a bad reaction to a medication you should go back to your doctor and be honest. You should also demand a second opinion. You need to be aware that some side effects can be very serious and cause great harm - you can't just expect all side effects to fade when a medicine is ceased.

3 hours ago, hatetane said:
If you are having a bad reaction to a medication you should go back to your doctor and be honest. You should also demand a second opinion. You need to be aware that some side effects can be very serious and cause great harm - you can't just expect all side effects to fade when a medicine is ceased.

I'm calling him tomorrow when the office opens. Really the only "side effect" is that my back acne has erupted badly. Otherwise, I feel no bad effects from the med. I'm just wondering if it's possible to have this crazy initial breakout about 5 weeks into Spiro, and if there would be any reason for that.

Atleast it's only your back.
dont question why it hasn't effected your face.

1 hour ago, jPablo said:

It is, but it's baaaad. I just don't get why this would happen to only the back.

14 hours ago, Kate22192 said:
15 hours ago, jPablo said:

It is, but it's baaaad. I just don't get why this would happen to only the back.
It could be a reaction, minocycline blew my face up but no where else was touched. Have you got any symptoms like rash or swelling etc.