Notifications
Clear all

how do I start having a betttr skin?!

MemberMember
(@myrence)

Posted : 04/30/2018 10:59 pm

Okay, so a little backstory of my skin. i had normal teenage acne like any other person, turned 18 and all my acne went away. You can imagine how thrilled I was. But well, last year I started medical school and the combination of stress, coffee and sleepless nights fucked me up and I had a huge breakout.
So in the middle of last year went to a couple of dermatologists and I settle for one who prescribed me tetrinoin. Well.... my skin reacted bad to it. The breakouts that I had which most were closed comedones, turned into inflamed and painful pimples. Used the tetrinoin for 3 or 4 months and then gave up. Those breakouts left my skin the terrible PIH and PIE. My skin continued to be fucked up till December of last year and the beginning of this year which is when I went to my old acne treatment which was a gel that consisted of benzoyl peroxide and adapalene. So every night I would wash my face with sulfur soap and then apply the gel. And my skin got SO MUCH BETTER. My acne never went completely away but it improved a lot. I need to clarify that I have extremely oily skin and I am very prone to comedonal acne; most of my breakouts are closed comedones I get all this bumpy texture on my skin.
So then I went to the dermatologist again because i wanted to get rid of my PIH and PIE. She told me that I needed a couple of peeling sessions, but for that I had to stop using my benzoyl and adapalene le 10 days before treatment, and I did. Got the first session done like 3 weeks ago and I have to go back for the second. The reason why I haven't gone again is because I started using the gel again and I can't get a peeling while using it. The reason why I we not back to the gel is because I started breaking out AGAIN.
Like im a 20 year old female, why do I keep breaking out no matter what I do?! Like for fucks sake im so desperate that I put baking soda on my skin just last night.

I need help, my skin has closed comedones mostly on the sides of my nose, to the sight it looks like my skin is dry and dehydrated even tho is extremely oily. I wanna take care of it but I don't know what creams to use, what oils to buy them what to do!
If anyone has any recommendations please help me, I want to clarify just in case that I'm not from USA, I'm from a Latin America country so unfortunately i don't have access to some skincare products that you may recommend.
Thanks.

MemberMember
(@acnevm)

Posted : 05/01/2018 3:33 am

Hey, I can see you have ried various treatments, with sulphur as a success back in the days. Then when it didn't work you tried BP, and then adapelene. All these chemicals are very strong and causes irritation, they have to be used in 8-12 weeks overlaps (separately), and not in a short amount of time.

I understand it can be frustrating with low/none improvements when using all this, but there is always a way of solving the problem.

I would recommend using aloe vera during the eveneings for your oily skin, it will heal the PIH and cause a moist (not oily) skin as well.

Just message me if you want some more advice on this :)

MemberMember
(@myrence)

Posted : 05/01/2018 8:02 pm

16 hours ago, AcneVM said:

Hey, I can see you have ried various treatments, with sulphur as a success back in the days. Then when it didn't work you tried BP, and then adapelene. All these chemicals are very strong and causes irritation, they have to be used in 8-12 weeks overlaps (separately), and not in a short amount of time.

I understand it can be frustrating with low/none improvements when using all this, but there is always a way of solving the problem.

I would recommend using aloe vera during the eveneings for your oily skin, it will heal the PIH and cause a moist (not oily) skin as well.

Just message me if you want some more advice on this :)

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I actually used a combination of sulfur soap at night to wash my face and then continued with a gel that contained both benzoyl and Adapalene. It's not that I used the soap and since it didn't work I proceeded to the gel with benzoyl and then adapalene. 
About the aloe Vera, I have like three plants in my house, used it but it did nothing. Absolutely nothing and I tried it for about 3 weeks. 

MemberMember
(@acnevm)

Posted : 05/02/2018 2:53 am

If your skin doesn't irritate and become red and if you haven't seen improvements on this skincare routine with benzoyl and Adapalene in 8 week, then I would look at other options.
You can try tea tree oil for spot treatment to reduce the inflammation of blemishes. I do this during the evenings, highly effective.

The thing with aloe vera is that it takes time to show effect, it's purpose is to heal scars and PIH over time.
And 1 time during the week you can use an exfoliator to remove dead skincells which are clogging the pores.

MemberMember
(@myrence)

Posted : 05/03/2018 5:33 pm

On 2/5/2018 at 4:53 AM, AcneVM said:

If your skin doesn't irritate and become red and if you haven't seen improvements on this skincare routine with benzoyl and Adapalene in 8 week, then I would look at other options.
You can try tea tree oil for spot treatment to reduce the inflammation of blemishes. I do this during the evenings, highly effective.

The thing with aloe vera is that it takes time to show effect, it's purpose is to heal scars and PIH over time.
And 1 time during the week you can use an exfoliator to remove dead skincells which are clogging the pores.

Aloe Vera is not my thing, believe me.
I think I'm just gonna go to another appointment with a dermatologist and tell her what's going on, I think it's useless to keep getting peelings for my acne marks when I still can't control my breakouts. It's just that I'm scared that she'll prescribe me the same old bullshit that every doctor prescribes. Last two times I went to this doctor she just looked at my skin, didn't ask me about my diet, about my skincare, if I'm stressed. Nothing. Doctors suck sometimes.

This is is becoming a rant. But anyways I'll keep u updated if you care.

MemberMember
(@acnevm)

Posted : 05/04/2018 2:08 am

Hey yes it can definetily be frustrating with dermatologists who don't care about the diet, been there myself... 
The core of acne is always the diet, period. I would just slow down on dairy and sugar and go for lots of vitamins and healthy fats for a more clean and healthy skin. 

Just pm me when you like :) 

MemberMember
(@klessard)

Posted : 05/04/2018 1:45 pm

You tried ProActiv or Rodan and Fields? Only 2 products that have ever worked for me. Let me know if you have any questions!

MemberMember
(@myrence)

Posted : 05/05/2018 9:33 am

19 hours ago, klessard said:

You tried ProActiv or Rodan and Fields? Only 2 products that have ever worked for me. Let me know if you have any questions!

I wish! I've heard people say good things about them but unfortunately in my country I don't have access to those products.

MemberMember
(@klessard)

Posted : 05/07/2018 1:24 pm

On 5/5/2018 at 8:33 AM, Myrence said:
On 5/4/2018 at 12:45 PM, klessard said:

I wish! I've heard people say good things about them but unfortunately in my country I don't have access to those products.

Aw I'm sorry to hear that! Rodan and Fields is expanding every year, so it will only be a matter of time until you have access to them. In the mean time, hang in there - I know how hard acne is!