Notifications
Clear all

My Journey With Tretenoin and Benynzol Peroxide

MemberMember
(@nataliasacnejourney)

Posted : 04/28/2018 4:40 pm

Hello All,

My name is Natalia and I created this post strand to help you in your personal journey with over the counter acne meds and self esteem issues due to acne.I am fifteen and have struggled with painful hormonal breakouts and cystic acne mostly in areas where one would apply countour: in my cheeks, chin, and upper forehead and eyebrow areas. I struggled with self esteem issues due to my acne and would constantly cover it up with tons of foundation and concealer, while simultaneously comparing myself to models like the Hadid sisters, Chantel Jeffries, or any other seemingly flawless internet influencers. After doing a lot of soul searching, taking a short detox from social media, and being more methodical and mindful about my diet, I am beginning to both change the appearance of my skin, and my mindset. By remembering that God made me skin specially unique and that it is my inward appearancethat really matters, I have found myself feeling less self conscious about my skin, but making better overall lifestyle alterations. I hope to help you improve the way you see your skin and I hope, like me, you can start to gain some confidence to the point that you dont have to do a full coverage makeup every time you leave the house.

There is nothing more beautiful than seeing a person being themselves. Imagine going through your day being unapologetically you.

There is nothing more rare, nor more beautiful, than a woman being unapologetically herself; comfortable in her perfect imperfection. To me, that is the true essence of beauty.

Ladies, most of you have no idea how beautiful you are. Dont let mean words from an insecure soul blind you from the truth of your beauty. You are beautiful by design just the way you are.

-Steve Maraboli (These quotes have really been encouraging me through my acne treatment journey and have provided some encouragement when I feel embarrassed of the ugly scabs, scars, and white heads, that decorate my face)

A lot of people dont realize the impact that acne or hyper pigmentation has on someone, especially a young person growing up in a world where appearance is everything. I hope you know that you are not alone. Also, if you do not struggle with extreme acne problems, do not be quick to judge that person you know who struggles with a pizza looking face. This is NOT their fault. Despite many peoples attempts to tell their friends that they just need better hygenie or that they dont wash their face enough, people with cystic acne simply cannot help the way their imperfections develop, as it is most likely a genetic predisposition. Instead of judging our friend or loved one, learn to help them in a kind and meaningful way.

I was recently prescribed both benynzol peroxide (for the morning) and Retin A or tretenoin (nighttime) and will be keeping a public log of my progress on these medications, and my other skin care products & regimen (with pictures) to aid all of yall,

Xoxo,
Natalia Edgar

MemberMember
(@kindasensitive)

Posted : 04/30/2018 10:36 am

Hi Natalia! I'm 26, and dealt with a lot of cystic acne at the age of 17. My dermatologist tried a whole lot of things for me, including creams that really dried my skin out. Unfortunately though that was a treatment, and not really a cure. I had super dry and somewhat clearer skin, but the cysts just kept coming. My doctor had me go on birth control in order for me to be able to get accutane. Fortunately, with birth control alone my acne went away quickly and I ended up not having to go on accutane. I've been on birth control almost 10 years, and the one time I tried stopping the cysts came back. I broke out in the same areas as you (contour area) and really thought of myself back then. Good luck!