Notifications
Clear all

Accutane vs Long term antibiotic usage

MemberMember
(@krnaderhoff1992)

Posted : 04/23/2018 7:07 pm

Hi everyone, I apologize advance because this is going to be a very long entry. I am a 26 year old male who has suffered from mild to moderate acne for about 10 years now. I do have acne on my face but most of the problem is on my chest and back. It has been an absolute nightmare. I would even consider the acne on my chest and back to be severe but my usage of adapalene and benzoyl peroxidehas been moderately effective. Although I still have to spend 10-20 minutes every single night applying cream just to maintain below average skin. About a year ago my acne on my chest and back was flaring up really bad, even though my face was relatively clear. I talked to my dermatologist about it and he suggested that we try antibiotics. I had in the past been prescribed cephalexin for another issue and told him how much better my acne got while on the drug. So he prescribed me 500mg cephalexin for my problem. The past year I had the clearest skin I have had in 10 years. However, after doing an extensive amount of research online, I noted the potential risks of long term antibiotic usage and began to question how this may effect my health long term. After one year of usage my doctor also told me I should be using the smallest amount of the antibiotics as possible that will still keep my skin clear. I had been taking one 500mg pill per day(with probiotics hours after the antibiotics). Now that I am taking the antibiotics less frequently, they seem to not be nearly as effective. Also, my adapalene and benzoyl peroxide creams seem to be much less effective now, which is very alarming. I had another appointment with my doctor and he told me that I should remain on the antibiotics and keep using the creams. I understand that there is great risk with Accutane but am really tired of dealing with this as I am no longer in my teens or early 20s. Unfortunately my doctor says my acne isnt bad enough to be given Accutane and because my acne is responsive to antibiotics, I should stay on those. My question is that is it really better for me to take antibiotics several times a week for what would likely be the next 5-10 years, rather than taking Accutane? I understand Accutane doesnt have a 100% success rate, but the drug is known to be highly effective. It would be terrible if my acne came back after Accutane but at least I would know that I have tried the most effective drug out there. I have a meeting with another dermatologist on May 23rd and fear this discussion is going to go the same as it always does. For a long time now my skin has really damaged my confidence and self esteem. I am desperate to fix this issue as I feel it has been controlling my life. Any advice concerning my acne problem and thoughts on Accutane treatment vs long term antibiotic usage is greatly appreciated!

MemberMember
(@dani_s)

Posted : 05/17/2018 10:16 pm

I know this post is from almost a month ago but as someone whos also in their mid twenties and struggling with acne I figured Id respond. I got on birth control in my early 20s I believe it was right before I turned 22 I was on for a year and a half before having to get off but ever since then have struggled badly with acne that was alway mild and never really a problem before. Since going off the birth control the only thing that truly cleared my skin was cefadroxil 500 mg twice a day. I was on and off for about a year. When I would have other health issues I would go off to let my body heal. I also took probiotics everyday. While I think Accutane is a bit extreme, ( I know with how sensitive my body is Id never be able to take it) I think that if your not overly sensitive its worth a try. Antibiotics simply arent a long term solution which sucks cause they were helping me, (and I you), a lot. Every doctor even my derm doesnt want me taking long term antibiotics. I know its hard but try to find another solution, I myself am still looking. Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@elainea)

Posted : 05/21/2018 7:47 pm

There are 3 basic types of skin conditions that can cause acne like lesions: bacterial, fungus, and demodex skin mites.Make sure they test you for the cause.

Make sure the doctor tests you for Demodex Skin Mites. Everybody over the age of 5 has these microscopic skin mites, so its normal. If your immune system is down they can get over infested and cause skin issues. The mites eat oil, so the oilier your skin is, the more they multiply. Demodex mites can cause acne, body acne, scalp acne, rosacea, blepharitis demodex (ocular rosacea), etc.

I was misdiagnosed with acne vulgaris (bacterial) and allergic conjunctivitis I was treated with a lot of antibiotics and topical retin-A, benzoyl peroxide for many years by 4 different dermatologists and one opthalmologists. The treatment never worked. They never tested me for mites.A 2 week treatment with Oral Ivermectin and Oral Metronidazole cleared the demodex infestation. This treatment is a much safer and faster treatment than Accutane. Since Accutane greatly reduces the oil your glands produce, it can control their food source and may reduce the infestation. But mites may survive and may rebound later starting the skin issues all over again. Accutane is a dangerous drug.

If the infection is caused by fungus, then there are anti-fungal drugs that can treat the problem far more effectively than Accutane.

Demodex skin mites are believed to track both bacteria and fungus back down into the hair follicles and oil glands where they live. So, Demodex can make bacterial and fungal infections worse.

The doctor needs to test you and make sure that they have the cause identified. A lot of them don't bother to do the tests, they just start writing prescriptions without having the facts as to what is really wrong.

MemberMember
(@lovablemama)

Posted : 05/30/2019 1:19 pm

for body acne,go to the nearest store, pick youself up some Vanicream skin bar and vanicream moisturizing cream. do this every day, shower and apply the cream. Bye bye acne, yeast, etc. key ingredient=silica.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/30/2019 8:55 pm

Elaine is correct, except that doctors rarely recognise or even test for fungal acne (or acne caused by dermodex mites) Most doctors just write prescriptions for antibiotics which destroy people's immune system and cause fungal acne..

DO NOT USE moistrurisers if you have fungal acne. Fungus loves moisture and the organic oils in moisturisers FEED one type of fungal acne.

Fungal acne is most safely treated with TOPICAL antifungal creams, not with oral drugs/meds. Ditto for dermodex mites - use TOPICAL anti-mite creams (scabies cream (permethrin) and topical ivermectin) before taking meds/drugs (which may be necessary if the topicals do not work)