Notifications
Clear all

My battle with food allergies

MemberMember
(@ktkt86)

Posted : 04/05/2018 4:34 pm

I'm in my 50s now and have had chronic acne since I was about 12 years old. I went to multiple dermatologists for about 35 years and was prescribed the usual antibiotics and topical treatments, which were mostly ineffective. The only thing that worked well for me was Accutane, which I was on for 4 courses of treatment. I finally decided to stop taking Accutane because of the strong side-effects and because I was worried about the effects of taking it long-term.

For many years, I had suspected that my acne was food-related, but was always told by my doctors that it was not the case. About 5 years ago, I gradually began to identify which foods caused acne outbreaks in me and the resulting list is long: dairy, peppers, chocolate, peanuts, tree nuts, caffeine, avocado, turmeric, fried foods, toasted rice. There is no treatment for food allergies and the only recourse is to avoid those foods. For me, dairy and pepper are the hardest foods to avoid because they are ingredients in so many foods. Sometimes, pepper is not even listed as an ingredient even though it is present. I've had food allergy testing done on the above items, but found that the tests came back negative, so I am not allergic to those foods in the traditional medical sense. Yet every time I ingest those foods, I have acne breakouts.

I recently consulted a nutritionist about this and she suspects I have leaky guy syndrome caused by antibiotics and years of poor eating. Yet my teenage daughter has acne caused by some of the same foods, so I am doubtful about that diagnosis. Fortunately, my daughter's acne is not as severe as mine yet, but I am afraid it will get worse.

Last year, I found that the antihistamine Allegra actually worked better on my acne than antibiotics and so that's what I'm taking now. Unfortunately, the Allegra brings with it a bad side-effect of its own, so I'm still looking for a better bandage.
Has anyone heard of such an acute case of acne caused by food allergies before? Any suggestions on how to treat it or deal with it?
MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 04/06/2018 11:41 pm

I've noticed that eating a lot of citrus can give me very mild non-inflammatory breakouts. Same with dairy, which I suspect is from the hormones [androgens] that are in milk and cheese. It really sucks and I wish that it wasn't the case, but unfortunately it is. I recommend taking bitters or drinking tea with bitters to promote your liver's detoxification abilities. If your liver isn't doing its job, all the toxins and irritants in your body will be purged through the skin.

Also, you can try to investigate if you have candida overgrowth and leaky gut, since as you said, you've been on multiple rounds of antibiotics. It can certainly be a factor, even if it isn't the central cause.

Acne has a genetic component as well. Some of us just tend to have endocrine systems that more readily convert testosterone intodihydrotestosterone [DHT], a more potent and acne-causing form of testosterone. So, incorporating anti-androgens like white tea, reishi mushroom, etc. and exercising regularly [androgens hide in our fat] can be helpful.