Notifications
Clear all

SD newbie (sorta) need some vet insight

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 03/22/2018 11:51 am

Hi all. Learned much from reading this forum the last few weeks but im still kind of at a loss on where im going, what i have, and what i should be doing.

Guess this will be long to accurately describe whats going on. 42 yr male, lifelong acne sufferer. Have had it mostly under control using rx topicals. Mid january, these topicals started to burn my face off. Severe stinging, general irritation, bright red cheek bones.

Derm only prescribed a topical hydrocortisone to be used for a cpl weeks and thats it to get rid of the inflammation. Should also note that i had bad eczema flares over the winter, back of legs and arms, hands, right stomach

While leery of using hydrocortisone, needed this irritation gone. I had stopped all acne meds. As a lifelong sufferer, i know this will not turn out good. Eventually my face is going to explode, which is causing severe anxiety

I had shaved my beard (electric hair trimmer to leave some stubble) and noticed red streaks in my mustache and beard area. It then dawned on me that approx 5 yrs i had a bout of SD, and for the life of me, i cant recall how i got it to go away. Same thing, usual acne topicals that i used for yrs w no irritation causing extreme burning. That time the derm
rx'd cicplopirox and i cant recall if that did anything worthwhile.

Called derm and told about the redness in beard area and w/o a visual sent a script for cicloporix again. I had NO flaking or scaling this time around, just redness, irritation, burn/itch

While i was fairly confident this was a SD issue, i wanted to get real confirmation. Went to a diff derm who more or less confirmed the diagnosis and advised to continue w the ciclopyrox 2x day.

I had an increase in scalp itch so i suppose that confirms an SD issue. Have been using nizora 1% every 3rd day and h&s clinical the other days for the past month. Still have itching, no scaling, but breaking out it large pimples on scalp

Using thw ciclopirox for 2.5 weeks so far twice a day and basically have no change. Minimal flaking in eyebrows and what appears to be just dry or dehydrated skin

I am an oil slick naturally but appears i am
Now producing more. Not using my norma acne topicals for the last 2 months, my skin texture is *. Uneven, blotchy red. As the day goes on, face burns more and more due to the okl sitting on it. I try getting it off but just comes back in 20 mins

If i was really dealing w an SD issue, i would have expected to see more flaking by now. Still only a bit in the eyebrows and skin betw my eyebrows. Rest of face feels dry and tight and awkward after washing, slightly red, but then the oil comes and sits right on top

All moisturizers burn me and after reading toms posts about carbon lengths, i know why

i dont seem to be getting any relief, or getting any closer to returning to my regular regimen. Skin looks like * up close. Thousands of clogged pores and or sebaceous filaments, unevenness, small flesh or red bumps, oily oily oily

Im kinda of in a panic mode not knowing what to do. Do i have an SD issue or am
I slathering antifungals on twice a day for no reason? Why is my scalp breaking out so bad especialy when there is no scaling there?

Should also be noted that i had an outbreak of folliculities on my shoulders and back. Second derm gave me a course of fluconizole, sorta helped that, did nothing for my face/head. Should also note i am experiencing jock itch, pretty bad. The ciclopirox helps that but doing nothing somfar for my face

I know it is supposed to take a while to clear an SD flare however i have no crusting/dramatic flaking, no patches of red skin marginaly defined. Just general light redness, irritation and burn when the oil sits on face. Should i stay the current course for a cpl more weeks to see if it does start showing flaking to know its doing something? Is it possible i have no SD issue and was just deaing w plain old dehydrated skin?

As a person dealing w skin issues for most of
My life, especially acne, it is causing me severe anxiety and panic that i am not able to get this under control. Wasnt sleeping. Taking 2 psych meds now. Cant get myself
Outta of the bathroom mirror, always checking
To see how ****ty i look. This skin texture
Thing is really getting me down. I missed multiple events already cuz I'm embarrassed. Its causing problems at home. Im taking it out on my wife and daughter and i mostly just wanna crawl into a hole until this resolves.

Thanx for reading and i am really looking forward to anyones thoughts, recommendations on where to go from here

MemberMember
(@nicole_ca)

Posted : 05/11/2018 11:27 pm

Hey there, I have something similar as you and was diagnosed with pityrosporum folliculitis originally. Oral fluconazole and topical ketoconazole and ciclopirox showed minimal improvement and eventually what started on my chest and upper back moved up to my face. Redness, clogged pores, tiny red and skin colored bumps, stinging, itching and burning. Since the anti fungal did nothing for my face derms are now telling me I have Rosacea. I'm 38 and so I feel like that's the go to diagnose for any female in my age group with redness and bumps. I'm not completely convinced this I what I have but am on low dose doxycycline and metrogel. If that doesn't work the derm suggested treating for demodex. Just a couple ideas of what it might be if the antifungal agent working. The thing that sucks is these are all chronic conditions. Yes....I too have been depressed and irritable and avoiding social situations for the past year hoping to get this under control. Hang in there.. I totally know how you feel.