Notifications
Clear all

Cleared My Acne Again Through Diet

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 03/13/2018 4:48 am

Hi All,

I posted here a while back about clearing my acne through diet after one of the worst breakouts I'd ever had (and clearing it within a week!).

Fast-forward a year or two and I went travelling, during which time I messed around with starting the pill again for two months (then stopping). All the sudden changes in hormones gave me horrible cystic acne around my chin and mouth, then on my cheeks. I was having to live in foundation to cover it all and felt terrible. I had it every day and it as soon as one spot cleared up another had appeared. When I stopped the pill they started appearing on my cheek instead. I have this weird thing where I tend to have a massive breakout on one cheek only at a time.

Within less than a week and a half now I've been able to completely clear my face 100%, with soft skin, and only one remaining big red circle from the worst cystic spot I had - I'm so happy. I haven't had such perfect skin since I last had good diet. I managed to turn things around so quickly that I wanted to share again, since this time I haven't been able to make green smoothies in the morning (the easiest way to boost good skin that I've found, using kale!)

Food
Breakfast: 
Oatabix with almond milk, 2 x berries (blueberries, raspberries), banana, Barberries and Amla powder (super high in antioxidants, search for these on nutritionfacts.org!), cinnamon.

Lunch: Something light and not inflammatory. I don't worry too much about this :)

Dinner: Huge bowl with 50% dark green leafy veg (the most important thing to eat in the day!), 25% beans, 25% whole-grains. I usually add turmeric and other spices with known health benefits (essentially any of them!)

Evening: Hot water with a lot of fresh ginger and lemon juice, as is anti-inflammatory before bed

Exercise: 30-40 mins a day running or workout, as is anti-inflammatory up to this time limit.

I have managed to keep my two daily coffees going whilst getting clear, but wouldn't recommend this at all!!

I would absolutely recommend the book How Not To Die about nutrition because basically all the evidence-based info on preventing disease also prevents acne.

Supplements:  Garden of Life Raw, Omega 3 & Evening Primrose Oil together (I use Equazen - I have to say, this one thing has a BIG impact on my skin. Have never found another omega 3 supplement that does), probiotic once daily when I remember.

Skincare routine: 
AM:  If anything, Lush Tea Tree Toner on cotton pad, then The Ordinary Azelaic Acid cream
PM: Soniclear with a very mild cleanser, then The Ordinary Vit A OR Lactic Acid 10% and Luch Grease Lightning on any active spots or bumpy patches (never fails to calm skin down overnight). I only just got the soniclear and it makes my skin feel amazing! Gets off every tiny bit of make-up, since I knew that I wasn't cleaning my skin well after using foundation.

The Ordinary skincare range is ridiculously cheap ($5 an item) and is based on evidence-based ingredients. The acids seem to have the biggest impact on improving skin tone for me and reducing spots.

Hope this helps someone :)

P.s. I just avoid all nuts other than almonds these days, even though I am pretty much vegan, because they always give me cystic acne without fail if I have more than a few! Check the Omega 3 vs 6 content of nut types before each in quantity :)

MemberMember
(@mem_mandala)

Posted : 04/21/2018 8:47 pm

Interested in anti-inflammatory exercise you speak of... could some types of exercise really be bad for acne? Is this to regulate your hormones?

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 04/23/2018 1:53 am

On 4/22/2018 at 2:47 AM, Mem_mandala said:

Interested in anti-inflammatory exercise you speak of... could some types of exercise really be bad for acne? Is this to regulate your hormones?

Hi, yes, too much High-Intensity exercise causes the body to release high amounts of cortisol, which is linked to acne (the same way in which regular stress is). For example, if you go for a 30-minute run it will have an overall anti-inflammatory effect on the body (it reduces stress and thus cortisol), but if you run for 60-90 minutes it begins to stress the body and cortisol starts to increase causing inflammation, which persists for days afterwards as the body tries to recover.

Here's an article on 20 mins of exercise and reduced inflammation: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/315255.php

Exercise reduces youroverall levels of inflammation during a resting state. So the key is a gentle, yet regular exercise routine. At least 4 times a week aiming for:

20 mins HIIT max (I avoid this though!)
40 mins jogging
90 mins fast-walking or cycling, for example

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 04/26/2018 4:58 am

A tip for exercise and acne (there is a study recently on it, you can look this up), strenuous exercise raises testosterone levels. However, eating immediately following exercise (primarily something containing glycogen, like fruit) actually lowers testosterone levels. But you have to eat within an hour.

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 04/26/2018 5:25 am

24 minutes ago, TheBean said:

A tip for exercise and acne (there is a study recently on it, you can look this up), strenuous exercise raises testosterone levels. However, eating immediately following exercise (primarily something containing glycogen, like fruit) actually lowers testosterone levels. But you have to eat within an hour.

interesting. i know the best time to eat is within 1hour of exercising but the hormone thing, makes sense.