Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] skin colored bumps on chin treatment

MemberMember
(@ayeitstrey)

Posted : 03/07/2018 3:54 pm

I have these skin colored bumps on my chin I really wanna get rid of and I don™t know what they are I™ve looked online and haven™t seen anything very usefulimage.jpg

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/05/2018 3:34 pm

I™m dealing with the same thing and posted here and no one replied to me. I™m hoping someone responds...I™m sorry you™re dealing with this too 

MemberMember
(@skyblue2073)

Posted : 07/05/2018 7:12 pm

Check this post by answered by Dr. Davin Lim (everyone's favorite acne scar expert).

Edit by MOD:Link posting, marketing, or advertising, is not allowed here!

MemberMember
(@marie528)

Posted : 08/22/2018 7:08 pm

I have the same bumps on my chin and the only thing I can come up with is its sebaceous hyperplasia. I HATE them worse than my indented acne scars and want to do anything it takes to remove them. I have an appt with a derm surgeon Friday so well see what she says about them.

Foxychick liked
(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/20/2018 8:00 am

@Marie528, how did the appointment go?

MemberMember
(@marie528)

Posted : 09/24/2018 7:03 pm

On 9/20/2018 at 8:00 AM, RandomName1 said:
@Marie528, how did the appointment go?

Well she looked at them with some sort of magnifier and said she wasn™t sure what they were but that shecould shave them which would possibly leave a scar. She also prescribed me low dose Accutane. I have read that Accutane can help these bumps if they are indeed sebaceous hyperplasia. But it has a chance of coming back when you stop. :/ 

MemberMember
(@poorbunny888)

Posted : 12/06/2018 3:39 am

@Marie528 how is the progress with the Accutane. I too suspect my bump is SH. shaving by cautery or laser is not that effective IMO. i've done it in the past and there're so many rooms for human error with the procedures such as the derm missedsome spots and they just shruggedtheir shoulder off when I pointed them out #sic. Some just decrease in size and some succesfully removed though they're all of similar sizes , I'm not sure why the difference in result (referring back to operator error).so bottomline i also read about the effectivity of Isotret systemic and hopefully would hear good news from you. please keep updated

MemberMember
(@marie528)

Posted : 03/06/2019 8:46 pm

On 12/6/2018 at 2:39 AM, poorbunny888 said:

@Marie528 how is the progress with the Accutane. I too suspect my bump is SH. shaving by cautery or laser is not that effective IMO. i've done it in the past and there're so many rooms for human error with the procedures such as the derm missedsome spots and they just shruggedtheir shoulder off when I pointed them out #sic. Some just decrease in size and some succesfully removed though they're all of similar sizes , I'm not sure why the difference in result (referring back to operator error).so bottomline i also read about the effectivity of Isotret systemic and hopefully would hear good news from you. please keep updated

Sorryfor the late reply, I just saw this. Unfortunately, 5 months of Accutane hasnot improved the bumps at all. If anything I have more at the corners of my mouth but I think those are different than the ones in the middle of the chin. They can come and go unlike the others. Possibly caused by toothpastes butnot sure so trying out more natural brands.

I will say that I have been on lower doses of Accutane. I weigh 52kg and you are supposed to take 1mg per kg of weight. I started on 10mg for the first month and gradually went up to 40mg. I have not seen the miraculous transformations that others have had on Accutane, in factmy skin is worse than ever and Ill now have twice the amount of indented and hypertrophic scarring than I began with. Ive even noticed a sizabledivot in my chin that has developed over the past month. At least its larger and can probably be made better with filler.

I no longer believe these bumps are sebaceous hyperplasia. I dont think anyone knows exactly what they are, certainly my derm does not. I have seen Dr. David Lim refer to them as pebblestone scarring so I think he has the closest explanation of anyone Ive been able to find on the internet.

Anyway,not much I can do about them now except continue to fight the active acne. I started at lower doses of Accutane because Iwas so frightenedby the horror stores and risksof permanent damage. However, now Im so depressed about the whole thing Im like whatever, lets do this. So I will be raising my dose to 60mg at next appt if my blood work comes out ok.

Ive been meaning to post pics of mybumps and will tryto do that soon.

Hope you are doing well!

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 03/07/2019 10:11 am

@Marie528This is a very common problem, your ""pebblestone scarring."" It is a form of hypterophic scarring. Have the Dr inject them with a dilute steriod. Possible subcision may be needed cannnot tell from the singular picture. Do some fully ablative erbium laser on them or co2 if they have that machine. Use Silicone patches both before and after the procedure for the hypertrophic scarring.

MemberMember
(@marie528)

Posted : 03/09/2019 11:19 am

Here is a photo of my bumps as promised. The large one in the middle really bothers me, I wonder if that would be helped by a steroid injection or silicone. On the bottom left you can also see the divot in my chin that™s popped up in the past month. Maybe filler for that idk. My skin a mess and can™t do anything until I™m done with Accutane.

519061FE-4994-411C-A0CE-0FBAE87E134E.jpeg

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 03/09/2019 3:11 pm

@Marie528Your going to need dilute steriod injections and afterwards the silicone patches. Possible some laser as well to work on the pebble scarring.

Divot treatment is subcision and filler.

MemberMember
(@marie528)

Posted : 03/10/2019 12:00 pm

20 hours ago, beautifulambition said:

@Marie528Your going to need dilute steriod injections and afterwards the silicone patches. Possible some laser as well to work on the pebble scarring.

Divot treatment is subcision and filler.

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@angel2356)

Posted : 05/29/2019 3:03 am

Hey I have those bumps on my chin as well. I know this post is prolly a year old but have you done anything to get rid of them? I had mine for years first time I noticed them was when I was 17 and then it spread through out the years and I have a lot more on my chin and nothing that I have done has worked they just dont go away!

MemberMember
(@neofox)

Posted : 07/10/2019 7:02 pm

No one found a solution ?

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/10/2019 7:12 pm

These bumps are most likely caused by fungus - either malasezzia or candida.

Skin fungal problems/"bumps".. etc. are caused by taking antibiotics and some other meds, possibly including accutane.

I suggest you do the following -

1. Buy clotrimazole topical antifungal cream (often sold as Canesten - no prescription needed) and apply it to the areas with the bumps 2-3 times a day.

2. Wash your hair in an antidandruff shampoo.

3. Do NOT apply any moisturisers or organic oils to the areas with the bumps. Keep your skin very dry. Wipe off sweat. Fungus loves moisture. And one type of fungus that causes acne FEEDS on organic oils.

4. Do NOT exfoliate your skin.

Topical antifungal creams are totally safe.

Do you have dandruff or a white tongue ? Have you taken antibiotics ? If so, which ones ? Have you taken other meds.

MemberMember
(@poorbunny888)

Posted : 07/11/2019 9:41 pm

On 7/11/2019 at 7:12 AM, Aussie Scientist said:

Skin fungal problems/"bumps".. etc. are caused by taking antibiotics and some other meds, possibly including accutane.

1. Buy clotrimazole topical antifungal cream (often sold as Canesten - no prescription needed) and apply it to the areas with the bumps 2-3 times a day.

3. Do NOT apply any moisturisers or organic oils to the areas with the bumps. Keep your skin very dry. Wipe off sweat. Fungus loves moisture. And one type of fungus that causes acne FEEDS on organic oils.

Do you have dandruff or a white tongue ? Have you taken antibiotics ? If so, which ones ? Have you taken other meds.

What is the physical chatacteristics of skin coloured bumps caused by fungal? My ones could look smaller when my skin gets drier. But they"re all arise after too rich or too exfoliating skincare such as retinol

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/11/2019 9:54 pm

poorbunny

Fungal skin infections/conditions have several appearances. Skin bumps such as yours are one indicatio of a fungal skin condition. Fungal acne is another indication.

Exfoliating skin can cause fungal infections because exfoliating breaks down the skin barrier and allows fungus to invade.

Also, there is some evidence that retinol products can cause (maybe??) fungal skin conditions. Treatments for ordinary acne make fungal acne and other fungal skin conditions worse and worse.

the main cause of fungal skin conditions is taking antibiotics and other meds such a birth conrol pills.

I STRONGLY suggest you do the following -

1. Buy clotrimazole topical antifungal cream (often sold as Canesten - no prescription needed) and apply it to the areas with the bumps 2-3 times a day. Topical antifungal creams are totally safe.

4. Do NOT exfoliate your skin. Do NOT use retinol.

5. Do NOT take antibiotics unless you have a life threatening or near-life threatening bacterial infection that cannot be controlled with topical treatments.

Do you have dandruff or a white tongue ? Have you taken antibiotics ? If so, which ones ? Have you taken other meds., such as birth control pills or have a birth control implant ?

I am happy to hear back from you.

MemberMember
(@poorbunny888)

Posted : 07/12/2019 1:06 am

On 7/11/2019 at 7:12 AM, Aussie Scientist said:

Do you have dandruff or a white tongue ? Have you taken antibiotics ? If so, which ones ? Have you taken other me

Hi Aussie Scientist,

I have slight white tongue which i think still acceptable.I attach pic of it. No dandruff but my scalp is sensitive and i have scalp treatments. when i check during scalp treatment using micro camera, there are red spots , not itchy though. The red spots are still there but lessened considerably after the scalp treatments. No medication taken and i've avoided antibiotics for a long time.

What about antibacterial topical cream? Would they be the same with antifungal cream? I considered diluted steroid before but thinking it might be too strong for the size of my bumps? However , if it's caused by fungus, would it keep spreading to the other nearby areas? I have it concentrated on that particular area only

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 07/12/2019 2:07 am

poorbunny

Thanks for geting back to me.

Your whitish tongue (indicates candida fungus) and scalp condition (indicates candida or malasezzia fungus) indicate that you have fungal condition.

What scalp treatments did you use, may I ask ??

Do NOT use antibiotic cream on your skin - antibiotics make fungal conditions WORSE. Fungus and bacteria are TOTALLY different organisms.

You (most likely) have a fungal condition on your skin. You do NOT have a bacterial condition on your skin.

Do NOT use steroid creams or any steroid products on your skin - steroid creams (and oral steroids) CAUSE fungal conditions (and make them worse) by weakening the ability of he body's natural immune system to "fight the fungus".

Sometimes people with VERY inflamed skin from fungal infection need to use hydrocortisone cream along with antifungal creams, for a few days or to dampen the inflammation, but your skin is not inflamed, so do not use steroid creams or any other steroid products on it.

Do use antifungal cream on your skin and the bumps will (most likely) disappear.

Fungus sometimes does spread to areas without antifungal cream as you control it with the antifungal cream, so apply the antifungal cream to the affected areas and to the surrounding areas of your face to stop the fungus spreading.

1. Buy clotrimazole topical antifungal cream (often sold as Canesten - no prescription needed) and apply it to the areas with the bumps 2-3 times a day. You may need a more targeted antifungal cream if the clotrimazole does not fix your problem. I can provide information about more targeted antifungal cream, if necessary. But best to start with clotrimazole cream, which is a broad spectrum antifungal cream and easy to obtain.

3. Do NOT apply any moisturisers or organic oils to the areas with the bumps. Keep your skin very dry. Wipe off sweat. Fungus loves moisture. And one type of fungus that causes acne feeds on organic oils.

I am happy to hear back from you.

MemberMember
(@tam78)

Posted : 08/06/2019 3:34 pm

Hi, 

I am 40 years old and have had raised bump acne scars on my chin area for years so I read the above comments with interest. I had acne in my teens and well into my 20s and did have a treatment of roctane eventually which did help. My acne is no long active, I get the odd spot but the scaring increasingly bothers me, I feel like as my face is ageing it is becoming more noticeable (to me at least). Does the advice regarding fungal treatments still apply even though my bumps/scars have been there for years? Images attached below.

Thanks! 

25124943-0F71-4EC4-A3C4-7B37891AB01D.jpeg

077943E2-291B-4EA2-BCD7-3E123A2E8AD4.jpeg

566E498E-551E-463C-930B-BB8E037B6D58.jpeg

529F7E90-5699-4006-8E00-053889B4D96D.jpeg

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 08/06/2019 3:54 pm

@TAM78You can buy Nizoral shampoo and try it for a few months, apply to the area 10-15 minutes and wash off.

These look like peblestone scars. They need steriod injection and some laser if that does not work. Aging makes scars worse, fat and tissue loss etc... See a skilled aesthetics dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@poorbunny888)

Posted : 08/07/2019 11:09 am

@beautifulambition

What is the characteristic of pebblestone scarring? My bumps flatten when I smile or stretch the skin. Does it have to come from acne? Mine appeared after too strong of topical retinol ie. Stieva

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 08/07/2019 7:18 pm

@poorbunny888Pebblestone scarring is related to hypertrophic scarring. A excess of skin tissue. It can be caused by many things including bacteria, yeast, fungi, acne / scars, inflammation, pharmaceuticals, dental issues, infections, and closed comedones. Also can be a allergic reaction. Please goto a experienced dermatologist who does aesthetics. Steroid injections may be needed, laser.

MemberMember
(@poorbunny888)

Posted : 08/08/2019 10:42 am

15 hours ago, beautifulambition said:

@poorbunny888Pebblestone scarring is related to hypertrophic scarring. A excess of skin tissue. It can be caused by many things including bacteria, yeast, fungi, acne / scars, inflammation, pharmaceuticals, dental issues, infections, and closed comedones. Also can be a allergic reaction. Please goto a experienced dermatologist who does aesthetics. Steroid injections may be needed, laser.

I use prescribed retinol from doctor that also contains steroid but the bumps just won't budge. Is it different withsteroid injection? Some of the bumps are tiny in size, would injected steroid be too strong for the tiny ones and might rather cause indentation? I've seen dermatologists. None of them have the same diagnose and i got the impression they don't really enthusiastic in treating bumps. All of my bumps appear from skincares either too rich or too strong

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 08/09/2019 6:47 pm

@poorbunny888No it's not a topical, it's a injection. Yes it can make atrophy if they are not dilute and use micro doses, goto someone experienced.

If they are closed comodones, from reaction, have the Dr extract them. You may be allergic and need patch testing for ingredients.