Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oldguy

Long-term dermabrasion outcomes

If you had a dermabrasion done more than 2 years ago, would you say that the results were permanent?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. If you had a dermabrasion done more than 2 years ago, would you say that the results were permanent?

• Yes, my scars have not gotten any worse since the dermabrasion.
    • No, my indentations reappeared in time.
    • My dermabrasion never helped very much in the first place.

Poll Question: If you had a dermabrasion done more than 2 years ago, would you say that the results were permanent?

I think that if many people respond to this, the results may be surprising to those who consider skin resurfacing to be a permanent fix.

Yes, but it was a progression and I have had a hella lot of procedures over these many years.

1990- dermabrasion

1991- dermabrasion

1992- dermabrasion

1993- dermabrasion & punch grafts (I think this was the yr)

1995- spot dermabrading

1997- Full face CO2 laser

2002- Series of microdermabrasions

2003- Two Smoothbeam treatments

2004- One spot treated with TCA Cross. Punch floats followed by dermabrasion with Dr. Y.

Acne scarring is not a quick fix. sad.gif

In my own personal experience (and it's only been a little under six months), my scars have not reappeared. I saw tremendous immediate improvement, then after the swelling died down (after a few weeks), my scars did reappear somewhat, though still very much improved. Then, I began to see collagen boosts, around the 3- and 5.5-month marks. I plan to wait until a year's time to assess the final outcome.

--leopolda

i honestly think punch floats are needed for any result from dermabrasion on boxcars and icepicks, i haven't had dermabrasion i'm having mine in april with punch floats on march.

I think that dermabrasion alone won't yield much improvement.

eusa_hand.gif

i honestly think punch floats are needed for any result from dermabrasion on boxcars and icepicks, i haven't had dermabrasion i'm having mine in april with punch floats on march.

rachelgreen, there is info on types of scars in the Pinned: * FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions - PLEASE READ *

hehe i know oldguy,

my point is that if the skin is not prepared befored dermabrasion results may not be permanent as they may seem a week or so after dermarasion, by doing either punch floats/ grafting/ excision etc.

The scarred skin is almost paralel or completely flush to the rest of the skin, now you sand it down with dermabrasion and it blends and heals together, it makes perfect sense. On rolling scars i am not sure how it may affect them, so maybe the results may seem significant cause the skin is swollen but this may fade down u know.

amnesiac i was looking at your pictures from dermabrasion and your skin is so beautiful . i just want to thank u for documenting it with pictures and having the guts to post them.it has helped me a lot in deciding to pursue it further. i know you said your not sure how rolling scars would be affected,but am just curious do you think rolling scars need punch treatment b4 dermabrasion as well?my scars are not deep or pitted,but are rolling over cheeks and seems like it would be difficult to do punches on them being as spread out as they are

jane

hehe i know oldguy,

my point is that if the skin is not prepared befored dermabrasion results may not be permanent as they may seem a week or so after dermarasion, by doing either punch floats/ grafting/ excision etc.

The scarred skin is almost paralel or completely flush to the rest of the skin, now you sand it down with dermabrasion and it blends and heals together, it makes perfect sense. On rolling scars i am not sure how it may affect them, so maybe the results may seem significant cause the skin is swollen but this may fade down u know.