Notifications
Clear all

Am I beyond hope?

MemberMember
(@badskin1313)

Posted : 02/20/2018 3:06 pm

I'm new here, so apologies if I'm in the wrong forum longtime lurker, but new poster.I've had hormonal acne since I was 16 or so, and though not terribly severe, it's deep cysts and they're persistent. After failures on topical retinoids and antibiotics, I had success on spiro and a medicated face wash with no topicals, but was weaned off of it since it was working well. Now, though, about a year off it, the acne is back in full force.

I saw a new dermatologist last week, who told me that at my age (I'm 24), acne is generally "persistent" and there isn't much to be done, which surprised me. She said that I can go on spiro (at 50mg max - lower than the 75mg I'd previously been taking) for 8 more months tops (after that, it's apparently dangerous, though in the past I took it for almsot 4 years with no negative lab results), and then we can try Accutane, but at best, she can get me a two-year acne remission before it'll be back in full force and we'll be out of treatment options.Any thoughts, feedback, or suggestions? Different products? Should I see a new doctor? I feel extremely hopeless, and really, really stuck, knowing that, apparently, I'm doomed to have acne without a cure forever.

MemberMember
(@incepticon)

Posted : 02/22/2018 4:53 am

If you get cystic acne that leaves scars on your face go for accutane.

MemberMember
(@triolink)

Posted : 02/22/2018 5:26 am

32 minutes ago, incepticon said:

If you get cystic acne that leaves scars on your face go for accutane.

Can you stop telling everyone to go on Accutane? It's way more dangerous than you make it sound like.

Anyways, no you are not beyond hope, all you need to do is find a good topical treatment and a dermatologist who knows what they're doing, you'll start seeing improvements soon and hope will come back to you, I promise, hang on in there.

MemberMember
(@incepticon)

Posted : 02/22/2018 5:51 am

23 minutes ago, triolink said:
Can you stop telling everyone to go on Accutane? It's way more dangerous than you make it sound like.

Anyways, no you are not beyond hope, all you need to do is find a good topical treatment and a dermatologist who knows what they're doing, you'll start seeing improvements soon and hope will come back to you, I promise, hang on in there.

So let's prolong their suffering and let them get acne scars as a result of cystic scarring acne. Makes sense.

MemberMember
(@triolink)

Posted : 02/22/2018 6:59 am

1 hour ago, incepticon said:
1 hour ago, triolink said:

So let's prolong their suffering and let them get acne scars as a result of cystic scarring acne. Makes sense.

No, not prolong, just make them acknowledge the risks of accutane, it should be considered with a derma before going into the therapy.

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 02/22/2018 8:28 am

As above, if it's cystic and it scars then you are a suitable person for Accutane.

Accutane like many other drugs has the possibility to cause reaction or adverse effects. My mum is severely allergic to penicillin, A very common and household drug.

I took a bad reaction to minocycline antibiotics etc. Etc. If your derm suggests it then go for it. My 2 pence.

MemberMember
(@didacticguide)

Posted : 03/20/2018 7:52 pm

Hi,
I am 31 years old (Indian origin). I have had clear skin all my life, until last year in September 2017. I started breaking out acne all across my jawline, chin and cheeks. A visit to the DERM and they put me on Doxycycline saying that i had hormonal imbalances. I took it for 4 months but my acne reduced only little bit and never cleared up completely. Once i stopped taking doxycycline, my face started breaking out again and this time much more badly including the forehead. I tired all OTC treatments like benzoyl peroxide and even stopped eating dairy completely. But nothing worked. I still continue to breakout badly with no respite.
I made a second visit to DERM today and she prescribed meamoxicillin 500mg(twice a day) with food. I don't know if this will work or not? She told me that this will be a life long battle.I am really depressed and frustrated with acne breakouts. I don't feel like going anywhere out including office or meeting friends as my face is completely covered with marks, scares and acne(old and new).Please help -- If anyone has faced the same issue and got cured of severe adult acne.
No one in my family has had severe or moderate acne before.
Also, I don't want to go on any medicines/orals/topicals that are not pregnant friendly, since i am trying to conceive as well.