Notifications
Clear all

Isotretinoin (roccutane/accutane) on NHS - my log!

MemberMember
(@srs1606)

Posted : 02/13/2018 12:48 pm

Hello! Today marks day 1 of my accutane journey. Im based in the UK and have been prescribed this on the NHS (after waiting 4 months for the referral!).

Acne backstory is that it started when I was 12 yr old (I am now almost 26) and it has changed from slightly cystic acne, to moderate acne, to mild acne, and remained mild for the past 5 years - which was when doctors put me on the Yasmin pill. My skin is INCREDIBLY oily so Im strangely excited for the idea of dry skin.

Any recommendations from people currently on this course would be great as I currently have no idea what skin care to use while on this! (Bar the dermal 500 lotion and cream I was also prescribed - any reviews on this?)

Will report back in a couple days! Im currently on the lowest, 20mg, doesage.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/13/2018 1:24 pm

Dermol 500 made my skin break out with whiteheads,so i stopped using it.you can only try it and if its kind and keeps your skin moist then continue.if it dosnt you will have to try a different emoliant/moisturiser.
:)

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 02/13/2018 3:03 pm

Check La Roche Effaclar Moisturiser. They do one for oily skin made dry by Accutane specifically, I use it as well.

Your lucky it was 4 months. I was told 16 months. I went private and had to wait 6 weeks. My appointment is next week so I'm hoping for Accutane.

People recommend stock up on the lip balm and Vaseline for the nose! Good luck.

MemberMember
(@srs1606)

Posted : 02/17/2018 1:49 pm

Thanks for the advice guys! I used dermal 500 once but it felt really heavy and greasy so havent used again. I did purchase the effaclar H moisturiser and it seems very good.Hope your appointment goes well!

So day 5 and no changes yet, I havent had an IB like many people seem to get (thank heavens) but my skin hasnt got any less oily. Lips dont seem particularly dry either. I had a headache for the whole day on Day 2 and a super sorethroat however both have now gone.

Im already thinking ill definitely need a higher dose and am a bit sad I have to wait 5 more weeks for my next derm appointment. So desperate for immediate results!

MemberMember
(@chris_roaccutane_2018)

Posted : 02/18/2018 6:52 pm

Nice to hear youve started your journey man. Im based in the UK, on a four month course and am 2 days off the sweet 1 month anniversary between me and roaccutane <3advice? stock up on Vaseline (aloe Vera has a nice smell to it!) and apply it readily to your nose every day maybe twice a day. This should eliminate the chance of nosebleeds on your dosage at least. I was prone to them anyway when I was younger, and Im on 40mg, so Ive had 5 this last week suddenly, two of which have been 25 minutes of gushing blood. you dont want that, and Vaseline Ive found so far is helping stop it. Other than that, try not to pick spots (its so hard not too itch and pick subconsciously...) and maybe try the Cetaphil gentle cleanser? I know boots sell it for 8.99 so its not an entirely American based product. Good luck and keep us posted!

MemberMember
(@srs1606)

Posted : 02/19/2018 4:25 pm

Congrats on making it to 1 month! Did they put you on 40mg straight away? (Jealous!) Although those nose bleeds sound pretty brutal, do the nose bleeds happen just because of dryness up the nose? I read somewhere they can put pressure on the brain (but stopped reading that article quite promptly!). Oh yesp Ive been using the cetaphil cleanser and its a god send! My skins oiliness still hasnt changed, although the texture of my skin seems to be getting a little harder, possibly rougher, but isnt dry as of yet. Really want my pores to just shrink and disappear!

MemberMember
(@chris_roaccutane_2018)

Posted : 02/20/2018 3:40 am

Yeah my dermatologist put me on 40mg from the off. Yes, to my understanding the drug dries out all areas even if slightly, and because we never see the inside of our nose it often gets forgotten. when it gets really dry I imagine its extremely subject to cracking and even one small crack and bleed multiple times if agitated again, if you follow me? No idea about the brain thing, I imagine thats not true. Ive had a lot in my time, and the worst thing thats ever happened was only one time when I nearly passed out, but Id lost a lot of blood then and had eaten loads so it was probably too much on my body all in one go. Yes Cetaphil seems to working nicely so far for me. Im still not in great shape but its a good cleansers to use I think. yes I know what you mean about the oily ness! Even tho Im on 40mg, when I wake up in the morning it feel the same disgusting way I also did before!although saying that my face gets extremely dry in the day.
Whats your routine like through the day? Washing your face and such?