Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lms2018

Spironolactone and Reti-A Journey

Hi! The last 6-7 months I’ve been suffering from pretty severe acne, which I believe to be hormonal. I’m 22 and all my life have never had cystic or super intense breakouts, only a pimple here and there. Only recently did the whole lower half of my face (chin, jawline, cheekbones) begin to freak out with massive pimples and angry white heads. In the first month or so I chocked it up to being temporary, thinking it was maybe just from resting my face on something or sweat. Cut to months later and it persisted. I began scarring and the breakouts kept reoucciring, I felt like I couldn’t even recognize my own skin! I tried everything from eliminating certain things from my diet to constantly cleaning my makeup brushes and ultimately not wearing any foundation. Nothing seemed to help. This led me to believe it was hormonal, especially because of the placement and not to mention I have very irregular periods. 
ANyways,  I finally realized I needed to buckle down and see someone about this. Today I finally had an appointment with my dermatologist and was perscibed 50  mg spironolactone once  for a week then twice a day, Retin-A 0.025% and a sulfur wash (sodium sulfacetadime 8%, sulfur 4%) 
I’m really terribly allergic to benzoyl peroxide, I’ve never tried any of the above medications so fingers crossed I don’t have any scary reactions (my skin loves to mess with me) 
anyone have experience with this stuff? Thoughts? I’d love to hear your journey. 
I might loosely post in here every week about how my face reacts to all this stuff. 
If you’ve made it this far- bless you 

• Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes