Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Udbhav Seth

Micronized Isotreninoin Dosage

I am an 18 year old (60kg) male and have completed approximately half of my Isotreninoin dosage over the past 5 months. My dermatologist advised me to keep up the regimen till I achieve a total cumulative dose of 120mg/kg. I was on 20mg per day for the first month, got bumped up to 30mg per day for the next 3 months, and came down  to 10mg after that to reduce the side effects. My face got pretty much cleared up by the end of my 3rd month, and no new acne seems to be coming up.

But then, I didn't want to wait so long for my cumulative dose to finish (as I still calculate a few more months), so asked my dermatologist about any alternative. I was then switched over to a new micronised dosage of 10mg/day, and told that a micronised formula of 10mg per day is equivalent to 30mg per day of the standard medicine.  And also that the side effects will be reduced.

Now my question is-while calculating my remaining time for the cumulative dose to finish,  should I count that 10mg micronised as 30mg/day or just as 10mg? Because I want to reach  my cumulative dose asap.

PS-Is cumulative dose really important? I read up that some studies show that there is no real need to reach the cumulative dose, and many patients are now simply taking the medicine for a few months after clearance of acne without any problem, and then leaving it.

• Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes