Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Imfuckindone

Hormonal acne : spironolactone ( cant talk to anyone in my life about my acne, feeling really down)

Fuck I just need to vent. I hate my skin so much I’ve had acne since I was 13 and  I’m turning 21 in a month. I’m on spironolactone but it isn’t working  ( 2 months on 100 mg)
I just want to know if anyone else tries to complain about their skin when they’re frustrated only to have their family member, for example, yell at you?
I only live with my  mother and I cant talk to anyone else in my life, but she always gets angry at me and tells me to stop worrying about it LIKE THATS SO EASY. 
I’m fucking crying I know other people deal with this and that things could be worse but I hate that I don’t have someone who understands what I’m going through or can empathize. 
She knows that I have hormonal acne (genetically sensitive to male hormones, not from her side of the family) yet she’ll still fucking say you have to stop stressing, or eat plain, or just stop focusing on it!!! 
I already feel awful and then she makes it worse by making me feel like it is my fault as if I am not trying everything in my power to make it stop!!!
I’m just feeling really alone and down about this, if anyone has gone on spironolactone and had success I would appreciate hearing it, i need some hope right now. :’(

I know, it sucks. Acne is the absolute worst, especially in a society that idealizes external beauty. I'm 24 and still struggling with cystic acne. I've managed to get it under control to some degree, through trial and error, and learning what my triggers are, but I've come to accept that it is a condition that I just have to deal with.

I've been so depressed because of it, and I've even wanted to kill myself when my breakouts are really bad, but thats just life, and life is full of struggles. Almost everyone is dealing with some sort of struggle - and yours just happens to be acne, just like mine. 

I know this might not help, but maybe try practicing gratitude. And if you can, maybe seek out a therapist that you can talk to about your skin. I don't know what your relationship is like with your mom, but she is probably just as frustrated as you are. No parent likes to see their child in pain. My dad always had a similar reaction whenever I talked to him about my skin, but he simply could not understand because he had never dealt with something like that before.

Whenever I'm feeling really down about my skin, I always try to think of my dear friend that is disabled… She is a beautiful, wonderful girl, but she has some sort of illness that has paralyzed her. She is only 15 years old. 

It could be worse. So just be thankful, if you can, and know that you skin can get better.

Edited by xoxoem

Hi there, I just wanted to reach out because I’ve been in your position and I know what it’s like to feel completely defeated by my skin. No one in my family struggled with skin issues and I felt like I had exhausted all treatments with no luck. I’m 22 and have struggled with horrible acne since I was about 16. I did a 7 month round of accutane and while it worked WONDERS for me with bearable side effects, it took about 5 months for it to even work, which is rare for most. However, a couple months after accutane my acne slowly started returning; again, also rare for most. That’s when I started spironolactone in July 2017 and considered it my last resort. Honestly, I had bad weeks and good weeks but I didn’t completely notice results until after six months and I’ve been on 100 mg. After the 6-7 month mark, I honestly feel like it’s changed my life. Of course I still get some breakouts, that’s inevitable, but I couldn’t tell you the last time I had a breakout of more than one cystic pimple at a time. I know it sucks having to wait and wait for results, but everyone responds to medications at different times, so my advice would be to stick it out. At 2 months in, I saw no difference in my skin yet. Good luck and best wishes! 

Hi there. I am a 21 year old male and i had acne for the last 5 years. Tried everything. Accutane worked but acne returned after some time. A friend of mine told me about homeopathy and believe me it changed my life. My face is a lot better now. I have acne every once in a while but its not like before. Try it if your current treatment doesn't work for you. Good luck

Hi- I am so sorry and know exactly how you feel. You're not alone in this and I'm glad you've found the site!

I've been struggling with the same kind of hormonal acne for 17 years. I did a round of accutane about 7 years ago and it cleared me up for a year but then came right back. I've literally tried everything.

About 6 months ago my new derm put me on 50mg/day of spironolactone, and it has *FINALLY* given me mostly clear skin. I definitely didn't start to see results until about month 4, and the clear skin didn't come until literally a few weeks ago, but now it's the clearest it's been since accutane, without any of the horrible side effects. I would urge you to keep at it and try to stay patient. Get to the 6 month mark and then re-evaluate...