Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bigpun

quick question concerning retin a

Is it cool to use retin a and bp at the same time??? I would be usin retin a at night and bp in morning. Appreciate any advice.

Thx in advance,

pun

Yes, you can. I use benzaclin twice during the day and Retin a micro at night. My derm said to make sure you wash your face between using them.

I have read a lot of messages that say they will cancel each other out. Just make sure your face is washed.

Yes, you can. I use benzaclin twice during the day and Retin a micro at night. My derm said to make sure you wash your face between using them.

I have read a lot of messages that say they will cancel each other out. Just make sure your face is washed.

BP is more effective than Retin A in clearing up acne since it kills P. Acnes bacteria and breaks down and removes the dead cells on the skin surface (thus unblocking the sebaceous glands). Retin A only increases the speed at which surface skin cells are replaced, and is therefore more effective in treating the red/brown skin marks which are left after acne. Basically, you want to find a regime that works for you, and in order to find this, you need to take a scientific type approach and begin by limiting the number of variables (i.e. types of treatment) in your regime, and then adjust the number and types of treatment in your regime according to how successful they are.

I would recommend to start by following Dan's regime strictly and use only the BP (morning and night). If you find that over the course of 2-3 weeks the condition of your acne is improving, then add in the Retin A to your daily regime. If you find that as a result of adding the Retin A you are breaking out more, discontinue its use and stick with the BP. If the Retin A causes no problems, then stick with both the BP and Retin A. If the BP isn't working, try the Retin A on its own. If neither the BP, Retin A or BP/Retin A combination treatment work, then go and see your doctor to pursue a different type of treatment.

Good luck! smile.gif