Notifications
Clear all

Had TCA Cross 100% done...question on next steps

MemberMember
(@dreamers)

Posted : 02/04/2018 3:09 pm

I had TCA Cross 100% done on 12/22/17 and so it's been a little over a month. Scarring has improved, they are more shallow than before but still there. I was hoping for better results but I understand it can take multiple sessions to see desired results. My doctor said the scabs would take 5-6 days to fall off but mine stayed on for much longer (could've stayed on as long as 12-15 days) but I had to go back to work and removed them on day 8 which I think factored into the results I received. After the scabs fell off, I continued to gently wash my face. After two weeks of scabs falling off, I started using Clindamycin gel during the day and Tretinoin cream 0.1 at night. So now my skin is sloughing off every 2-3 days, but I worry that it might be interfering with the healing process because of all the exfoliation even though my doctor said it was ok.

So now I am thinking about what to do next. I can't take more days off work so TCA Cross can't be done again until the holidays. I was thinking about microneedling or 70% glycolic acids peels. I'm trying not to go down the laser route, it's too expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The left cheek is what I am mostly concerned about. 1st pic is before and 2nd is after.

IMG_6832.jpg

IMG_7318.jpg

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 02/04/2018 8:08 pm

4 hours ago, dreamers said:

My doctor said the scabs would take 5-6 days to fall off but mine stayed on for much longer (could've stayed on as long as 12-15 days)

The key is to keep the scabs moist at ALL times.

After two weeks of scabs falling off, I started using Clindamycin gel during the day and Tretinoin cream 0.1 at night.

Bad idea. Why do you want to exfoliate the NEW skin? If I were you, I would try to preserve it as long as possible.

I was thinking about microneedling or 70% glycolic acids peels.

While microneedling and glycolic peels help rejuvenate collagen, again, you're sabotaging your NEW skin. I would wait until you're completely healed.

MemberMember
(@dazzed)

Posted : 02/04/2018 8:15 pm

One way is to just do SOME scars at a time, it's easier to disguise. It'll take a long time, but at least it gets done and you don't have to take off from work for a whole week.

MemberMember
(@obi-wan)

Posted : 02/06/2018 4:11 am

Agree with @Sirius Lee... Use a Occlusive Moisturizer. Moisturise at all times, 3-4 times a day, for 6 days. Then re evaluate at 7 to 8 weeks. Do NOT change a treatment if it works. Re post with before and afters. For TCA CROSS 2-5 sessions needed, depending on extent and depth. 100 percent back Sirius Lee comments. Time is your best friend.

MemberMember
(@dreamers)

Posted : 02/06/2018 9:16 pm

Really appreciate the comments.

Sirius Lee - I've been moisturizing everyday and when I had scabs, 2-3x per day. My doctor said that I could use topicals after 2 weeks but I am going to stay off them. Do you think that if I use them in the future, it will reverse some of the healing that has taken place? I also thought tretinoin helped boost collagen. I am seeing my doctor on Friday so I hope to get feedback from him.

As for microneedling and glycolic peels, I was definitely not planning on getting anything done until my skin got back to normal. Do you think these are good options for me? Is one better than the other?

dazzed - I don't think that I can cross only a few scars at a time, altho a great idea. It would be hard for me to go to work even with makeup.

Obi wan- I am going to keep moisturizing and re-evaluate in 2 weeks. I will also try and post pics at that time. I think what is frustrating is that my skin will produce new skin and scars look much better but then after a few days, there is so much flaking that my skin will slough off and my scars go back to looking more open.