Notifications
Clear all

Unbalanced Hormones

MemberMember
(@camillab)

Posted : 02/01/2018 4:02 am

Hello all,

I write here today as I am a bit desperate... (sorry for my English, I am not a native speaker)
I am 20 years old and have had acne for the past 7 years. I have been on antibiotics (3 time), and Diane 35 for 6 months (it worked but made me feel sick so I stopped it.)
I decided to quite every chimical product and try something more natural. But oils are not for me, and I feel sometimes that the natural approach is not doing anything for me.

I cut out dairy, but I sometimes make the mistake to have some again, and I regret it days later...
I think that antibiotics have fucked up my gut, as I don't tolerate dairy at all anymore (I used to have so much of it as a child and a teenager as well), so I have been taking probiotics before, and now I take collagen to try to restaure my gut...
Also, my period are sooooo irregular.. And I feel like, as long as it will be irregular, I will have acne. I have been thinking about trying vitex, but I am afraid it's going to be even worse with it. anyone with great experience with it?

I also started differing 1 month ago, still waiting for results, but I don't have that much hope about it anymore as I know the root is more internal.

I wish I could be extreme in my diet and routine, but with social events, etc, it's so hard to stick to it. Also, I know diary is a culprit, but even when I don't eat it as all, I breakout sometimes, so I have no clue which other food cause acne to me... it's like a desperate research.

If you have any informations that can help me,

thanks a lot

MemberMember
(@beachgirl333)

Posted : 02/08/2018 4:18 pm

Hi Camilla,

First, I'd like to say that my acne experiences have been very similar to yours. However, as everyone is different, absolutely make sure you talk to a doctor before making any decisions.

Using a hormonal birth control will help regulate your period and can help reduce acne. Make sure your birth control is prescribed from an OB/GYN because they will have the best recommendations for YOUR body. Personally, I tried a variety of different birth control pills until I found one that didn't give me side effects. I use Junel FE 1.5/3.0.

If you have a dermatologist, I suggest talking about Spironolactone (an oral medication) with your doctor. I never knew my acne was hormonal until I had a female dermatologist. Although I know you're looking for a natural regimen, Spironolactone has been a miracle for my skin.

Additionally, if you think your acne is hormonally based, I suggest taking Iron and B12 vitamins before and during your period. The probiotics and collagen also sound like a great idea.

I know it's hard to cut out foods, but if you want to indulge in dairy, buy organic and grass-fed dairy products. However, I suggest going to an allergist. I know everyone thinks the gluten free diet is an annoying hipster trend, but so many people are gluten intolerant. I'm 23 and was only diagnosed with Celiacs this year because the symptoms are so different for people. Although there may be a different issue at play, I think it's worth a shot to try eating gluten free for a couple months if you aren't able to see an allergist.

Best of luck.