Notifications
Clear all

My Scar Treatment Journey

MemberMember
(@misshopeful123)

Posted : 01/28/2018 4:38 am

Hi guys,

I will be starting my acne scar treatment journey next week with Dr. Novick . I sent him an email with the pictures of my scars and I told him that my acne scars might be untethered since they completely disappear when I pull my skin slightly. He suggested me to get a field subsicion to address the generalized atrophy within my cheeks. I am really excited to finally start my journey of scar treatments and I heard great things about Dr. Novick. Is there anything that I should be doing to prepare for my subsicion? I will keep you guys updated. Also I am worried that my scars are too shallow to respond to subsicion. But Dr. Novick does not seem to think so.

IMG_1543 2.JPG

IMG_1538 2.JPG

MemberMember
(@thepwhisp)

Posted : 01/28/2018 8:13 pm

I will be following this 100%. I plan on going to Novick once I get some spare time. From what I've researched he is top class.

MemberMember
(@misshopeful123)

Posted : 01/31/2018 3:30 pm

Guys should I accept Dr's recommendation of getting a field subsicion or should I push for regular subsicion (doing subsicion individually under pitted scars)?

MemberMember
(@dazzed)

Posted : 01/31/2018 4:32 pm

I'm not sure I see the "generalized atrophy". I see pretty full cheeks, and some minor pitted scarring. Personally, I'd do individual subcision.

MemberMember
(@misshopeful123)

Posted : 01/31/2018 5:15 pm

He said "The fact that your scars are greatly diminished when you stretch your skin does not mean that they are untethered. It suggests that there was (as is usually the case) considerable subclinical (microscopic) acne inflammation throughout the entire cheek regions (and not just under the individual spots that are apparent on the skin surface). It also suggests that you might profit greatly from what has been dubbed a "field subcision" to address the generalized atrophy within the cheeks (which you are simulating by stretching your cheeks) after which you can then be evaluated for whether there remains any need to address any scars individually via individual subcisions, etc. ".
@beautifulambitionwhat do you think?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 01/31/2018 9:46 pm

@misshopeful123
Ask him the complete plan he has for your scar treatment. That would help me more. Is he going to do generalized filler throughout the cheek which is true what he says and then go back and individually inject the scars or subcise them. Or is it just generalized filler for treatment and that's all.

MemberMember
(@misshopeful123)

Posted : 01/31/2018 11:03 pm

@beautifulambitioni think he is planning to do a generalizedsubcision. hedidn't mention any fillers. after the generalizedsubcision he might do regular subsicion under each individual scar if there remains any indentation.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 01/31/2018 11:14 pm

@misshopeful123This is a great plan. Working on both levels. He normally includes filler in his price because he realizes the benefits. Goodluck on treatment, keep us updated.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 02/11/2018 10:22 pm

The treatment for icepicks is not filler. Why didn't he do TCA Cross if he felt that was the issue? Hard for us to often tell what's going on from pics as we can't see you, use directional light, and feel your skin. Different angles in photos can make things looks differently. TCA Cross must be done if it's icepicks.

MemberMember
(@misshopeful123)

Posted : 02/11/2018 10:48 pm

@beautifulambition I will try to upload better quality pictures but let me try to answer your question. The scars inside the red circle are shallow boxcar scars.
The scars inside the blue circles are shallow icepick scars. He also confirmed that. Since the the scars inside the red circle bother me the most, i asked him whether subsicion would work. He said they looked weird and didn't have defined scar borders to be subsicied. Instead he did a small TCA cross test for one of those scars. That TCA cross test spot has also shown zero improvement. He did subsicion with fillers on my right cheek (the second picture) which showed zero improvement. I will upload better quality pictures  later on.

IMG_1538 2.JPG

Photo on 2-11-18 at 10.37 PM #2.jpg

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 02/12/2018 12:34 am

You have been subcised and filled. Next I would do 4treatments of RF needling aka Infini or the many other brands. This may break up the tissue enough and stimulate healing. You will need about 3 of those spaced out, takes collagen 3 months to heal. Then you can do another subcision and filler with Novick or another DR and do either a deep acid peel with a derm or plastic or fully ablative erbium resurfacing.

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 02/12/2018 12:40 am

If you talk to Novick he will agree to try different things than what he suggests. My relationship with him works two ways.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 02/12/2018 3:00 am

4 hours ago, misshopeful123 said:
IMG_1538 2.JPG

Why does the scars in the "red" circle look tethered in my eyes? You should see a nice bounce for those scars with subcision IMO. With the blue scars, being shallower than the red, Infini will give you a better outcome.

MemberMember
(@misshopeful123)

Posted : 02/12/2018 3:31 am

@QuanHenryhe replied my email and said that I should wait 4-6 weeks to see an improvement. Have you seen an improvement after your bruising and swelling was gone.

@Sirius Leesome of them have a weird white (and hard) stuff (probably scar tissue) inside them. Dr. Novick said that they wouldn't respond to subsicion.

MemberMember
(@scarright)

Posted : 02/12/2018 6:29 am

Miss Hopeful, I'm no expert, but maybe collagen stimulation might take effect after a couple of months. I'm not sure if this applies to subcision, but it can with other treatments. For example, infini rf and lasers.

Keep us updated and best of luck.

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 02/12/2018 3:43 pm

For me the improvements I saw after about 3-4 weeks are more or less what I saw several months later.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 02/12/2018 4:47 pm

1 hour ago, QuanHenry said:

For me the improvements I saw after about 3-4 weeks are more or less what I saw several months later.

What's your aftercare routine? Aftercare is just as critical as the actual treatment since it can potentially have a huge impact on the healing process.

ScarRight liked
MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 02/12/2018 5:27 pm

37 minutes ago, Sirius Lee said:
What's your aftercare routine? Aftercare is just as critical as the actual treatment since it can potentially have a huge impact on the healing process.

Nothing special. I lay off the Epiduo for about a week or so to prevent dryness. I just use a gentle wash and moisturizer and rose hip oil during that time.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/12/2018 6:13 pm

:)

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 02/12/2018 8:34 pm

2 hours ago, Quadboy said:

I dont encourage it but i did my own,used a 23g hypo and suctioned for 7-10 daysish with a cheapo chinese cupping set pump and i got improvement i think and am currently healing from doing a second round of it.

some scars didnt want to respond though i have to say and when i got the hypo under the scar i could tell i was cutting tethers and the scar popped up but even after suction and the micro swelling went the particular scar just went back to normal,if i had filler it would more likely have stayed raised i think.

but on my cheeks i got improvement on some different % from little to very good but i noticed that some scars i did the 1st time that didnt respond well have responded better on the 2nd time.

maybe you need to subcise some more than once to get improvement,i found with tca cross that this was the case with some of my ice picks,they were too stubborn and took multiple treatments to get them to start raising.

done my 2nd subcision and think now i am gonna let it just heal and dont do any more.switch to tca peeling with longer heal time.
:)

Unless you have enough collagen to begin with, subcision will not give you any improvement. That is why temple and forehead hardly ever respond well to subcision or infini. Also, from my own experience, subcision is excellent for filling medium to deep scars. But for light to moderate (that is, somewhere between light to medium), it won't do much. Lastly, for the first few days, your scar will naturally look good due to swelling, so be sure to discount the first week.

MemberMember
(@jaspa0411)

Posted : 02/14/2018 12:59 am

Quadboy have you ever filmed yourself? I would be interested to subscribe to your subcision channel.

MemberMember
(@misshopeful123)

Posted : 02/15/2018 6:52 pm

Has anybody seen Dr Jay Barnett in NYC for silicone injections? I think that silicone fillers would really help me in the short run but I am worried about the possible side effects in the long run, after all its permanent. Can anybody recommend a safer but still long lasting non-permanent filler for acne scars, and possibly a doctor ?

MemberMember
(@misshopeful123)

Posted : 02/15/2018 7:32 pm

39 minutes ago, misshopeful123 said:

Has anybody seen Dr Jay Barnett in NYC for silicone injections? I think that silicone fillers would really help me in the short run but I am worried about the possible side effects in the long run, after all its permanent. Can anybody recommend a safer but still long lasting non-permanent filler for acne scars, and possibly a doctor ?

Anyone?

MemberMember
(@neofight)

Posted : 02/15/2018 7:58 pm

On 2/12/2018 at 8:34 PM, Sirius Lee said:
Also, from my own experience, subcision is excellent for filling medium to deep scars. But for light to moderate (that is, somewhere between light to medium), it won't do much.

I agree with this statement from my personal experience (my deeper subcised scars responded WAY better than my mild) and i STILL can't wrap my brain around the concept.

So, we know, physiologically, many scars will continue to atrophy as we age and lose collagen. Does this idea - that subcision is better for medium or deep scars rather than mild to moderate - mean that it would behoove those of us with moderate scarring (which will worsen with time!) to wait as long as we can stand it to start the subcision process?

This question has been driving me mad for waaaaay too long.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 02/15/2018 9:02 pm

1 hour ago, NeoFight said:
I agree with this statement from my personal experience (my deeper subcised scars responded WAY better than my mild) and i STILL can't wrap my brain around the concept.

So, we know, physiologically, many scars will continue to atrophy as we age and lose collagen. Does this idea - that subcision is better for medium or deep scars rather than mild to moderate - mean that it would behoove those of us with moderate scarring (which will worsen with time!) to wait as long as we can stand it to start the subcision process?

This question has been driving me mad for waaaaay too long.

RF energy devices like Infini is more suitable for mild scars. However, I always like to suggest that you get dermal fillers BEFORE you get Infini or similar RF procedure.

NeoFight liked