Notifications
Clear all

Should I go on accutane?

MemberMember
(@123eg)

Posted : 01/25/2018 11:53 am

So I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I've finally convinced myself that I'm ready to bite the bullet and go on tane BUT as per usual I've psyched myself out...

So my acne is definitely not severe. In fact the majority of my face is clear - I have acne on my chin around my mouth and lower cheeks (although recently it does seem to be spreading up my cheeks) Right now I only have about 4 active pimples, yet as soon as one goes away I'm sure to get another. My chin is covered in white heads. These pimples are very painful, inflamed, impossible to pop, and leave red marks for many months. My skin isn't particularly oily except for on my chin. I have tried EVERYTHING under the sun: supplements, BCP, topical retinoids, AHA/BHA, antibiotics, even spiro (which I thought would help since I figure it was hormonal... it did nothing) Anyways, I know its really not that bad but it really contributes to my existing anxiety. I literally think about my face 24/7 with intrusive thoughts about how ugly I am. I won't go out if I have an especially bad breakout and I definitely won't leave my house without make up . I never feel attractive or confident. It definitely affects my relationship because I'm a mope all the time lol.

Anyways sorry this was a novel but I just want to know if anyone would recommend accutane for very persistent acne, although its localized and not super severe. I have so much hyperpigmentation and I'm at my wits ends! plz advise! xox

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/25/2018 2:49 pm

2 hours ago, 123eg said:

So I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I've finally convinced myself that I'm ready to bite the bullet and go on tane BUT as per usual I've psyched myself out...

So my acne is definitely not severe. In fact the majority of my face is clear - I have acne on my chin around my mouth and lower cheeks (although recently it does seem to be spreading up my cheeks) Right now I only have about 4 active pimples, yet as soon as one goes away I'm sure to get another. My chin is covered in white heads. These pimples are very painful, inflamed, impossible to pop, and leave red marks for many months. My skin isn't particularly oily except for on my chin. I have tried EVERYTHING under the sun: supplements, BCP, topical retinoids, AHA/BHA, antibiotics, even spiro (which I thought would help since I figure it was hormonal... it did nothing) Anyways, I know its really not that bad but it really contributes to my existing anxiety. I literally think about my face 24/7 with intrusive thoughts about how ugly I am. I won't go out if I have an especially bad breakout and I definitely won't leave my house without make up . I never feel attractive or confident. It definitely affects my relationship because I'm a mope all the time lol.

Anyways sorry this was a novel but I just want to know if anyone would recommend accutane for very persistent acne, although its localized and not super severe. I have so much hyperpigmentation and I'm at my wits ends! plz advise! xox

As you say yourself, you don't have severe acne. Please do not take the risk of this cancer drug for this. Many of us are suffering long term effects, sometimes only left to treat ourselves.