Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sukibella

B12 for acne, but depends on dose, type, and genetics?

Hi guys,

I've tried taking B12 and other B vitamins for my hormonal acne before with little improvement. But recently I was doing some research and heard about the MTHFR gene, because somehow PCOS and the MTHFR gene are related, and people who have PCOS can have awful hormonal acne.

Here's the link to their article: https://pcosdiva.com/2014/05/mthfr-what-is-it-and-how-can-this-effect-your-fertility/

Apparently, if you have already done a DNA test from 23andMe or Ancestry.com, you can submit your raw data, for free, to websites to see if you have the mutated gene that makes it harder for your body to process folic acid, and actually need folate. Some of these websites are listed here: http://healthycrush.com/what-i-learned-from-my-23andme-dna-test/

By submitting my raw genetic data, not only did I find out I need more folate, but I need methylcobalamin (B12). I kinda balked at this because I've never seen any difference when I've taken it before, but a B12 deficiency can make a folate deficiency worse.

I use the Jarrow Formulas Methyl-B12 (1000 micrograms). Because I've never seen results taking a whole one every day, I've been biting it in half and only taking half every day. So far I have seen my skin calm down. Not completely! But a good bit. I am used to angry red welt-like hormonal acne, and I haven't had anything new pop up like that this whole week! I've had more whiteheads, but honestly I'd rather have those than cystic acne. I've been able to cleanse these away pretty well. They are pretty small and easy to gently buff away with a washcloth.

If the whiteheads and clogged pores get worse and worse, I plan to try quarters of the pill or every other day. From what I've heard from people who need the shots, its easy to go from deficient to way too much.

• Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes