Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tcc98

Hormonal acne and my experience with Yaz

Hi, I will be sharing my experience with Yaz with you :) 
I had very clear skin up to age 16/17 except for the occasional pimple. This was when I would sleep with make-up on, didn't own moisturizer (I feel physically in pain as I type this haha), did not know what toner was, used mattifying makeup when I had already dry skin , etc. Basically my skin was a miracle for all the stuff I was (unknowningly!!) putting it through.
Fast forward to 2017, where in around February (aged almost 18) I start to develop acne deep into my skin, those kind of pimples that hurt when you talk but you can't pop because no whitehead ever appears. I blow it off due to exam stress and since my skin had never given me problems before, I'd figure I'd just wear make-up more often until it cleared up. But all it did was get worse and worse. By July I had full-fledged acne starting from my hairline down to my neck. Neck pimples were the worst, they'd pop up out of nowhere and don't leave for 3 months. No matter how much I cleansed, toned, moisturized and tried new products, I just keep breaking out week after week, regardless of my menstrual cycle.
Somehow I continued putting off visiting a doctor, mainly because of the costs associated with it and because I genuinely thought that they were due to stress (exam time etc.). But by August I wasn't leaving the house anymore unless I had a full face of make-up on and I was miserable. I finally decided to visit a doctor and she could tell straight off the bat that it was hormonal acne. I had never been on birth control before but was already quite intrigued by it because of my irregular, painful and lengthy periods (sorry for the tmi). I was advised that my acne could get worse before it got better (which it sort of did as you can see in the pictures, but not by a lot. ) It was barely noticeable because my face was already so bad.
I was prepared to wait for the first 3-6 months for it to start showing signs of imrpovements as a lot of women wrote that their bodies took a long time to start getting used to Yaz, and the acne didnt clear overnight. However thankfully, just 4 months after starting Yaz (so that's 4 packets in), my face is completely flat with no scarring except for the hyperpigmentation. Although the hyperpigmentation sucks, at least I can cover it now with makeup since my face is flat and not bumpy. I am honestly overwhelmed that all this progress took place in the psace of only 4 months time. I hope that by June/July 2018 my hyperpigmentation will have cleared up somewhat. Do you have any inexpensive recommendations for helping the hyperpigmentation clear up? I'd love to know :)
 Products I use:
Uriage Tolederm hydra-soothing cream as a morning moisturizer and i use it before my make-up
1/4 parts uriage Xemose moisturizer mixed with 3/4 parts Uriage Tolederm cream (using the Xemose moisturizer feels a bit too heavy to work into the skin so I mix it)
La Roche Posay Toleraine Softening Foaming Gel as my cleanser
Every 1-2 weeks I will apply the L'oreal pure clay detox max (Charcoal) around my nose, chin and cheks (generally avoiding the forehead as this is my driest area). I use this a bit more often during the summer, around 1-2 times a week.
I use also the Thalgo Bio-Soothing mask whenever i feel that my skin needs a little bit of extra moisture or whenever I haeve some more-than-usual redness. I think I use this around 2 times a month, give or take.
That's pretty much it with regards to skincare.
Makeup:
La Roche Posay Respectissime Eye-makeup remover (the only one which doesn't burn my eyes)
Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water
Followed by washing with the Toleraine Cleanser. 
Every 1-2 weeks I will apply the L'oreal

What foundations do you recommend for dry skin? Funnily enough, my t-zone is my driest area. My nose flakes horribly with most foundations. I'm currently using the Estee Lauder DoubleWear in shade 1N1 and 1N2 during the summer (although I still have to mix it sometimes as I'm so pale lol). I'm looking for high-coverage, heard about the tarte rainforest of the sea and huda beauty faux filter being good, but I wanted to get reviews from people who use it to hide the hyperpigmentation. Also, do you know of any deep-moisturizing masks that have worked well for you guys?

Thankyou for reading!! Feel free to ask about anything else

BeFunky Collage.png

• Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes