Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chinglish

The Regimen for those who also need to exfoliate

I have been following the regimen for about 3 weeks now. Here is my problem, however.

I have mild acne, and the regimen has cleared it up somewhat. My face got very dry at first, so I toned down on the BP. The problem with my skin is that it is very slow to exfoliate, no matter how much I coax it. There always seems to be a substantial layer of what seems to be dead skin covering much of my face, but doesn't come off. I have supplemented the Regimen with St. Ives Invigorating Apricot scrub, which I use between the cleaner and the BP gel. I also use Eucerin Dry Skin Therapy Intensive Repair Lotion (contains alpha hydroxy). Basically, I have modified the Regimen into a full scale exfoliating process on top of acne removal. I have been very careful not to be too zealous about any of the steps and overdo the process (ie: rubbing my skin raw, etc)

My questions are: Do you think that years of unsucessful acne medication and years of popping pimples toughened up my skin? Now, the completely clogged pores (whiteheads) seem much less, but the blackheads seem to be in full force.

Do you think I should go to a dermatologist to determine if I have a skin condition?

Has anyone else had a similar "resistant skin" problem and would care to share their experience?

Thanks in advance.

I have been following the regimen for about 3 weeks now. Here is my problem, however.

I have mild acne, and the regimen has cleared it up somewhat. My face got very dry at first, so I toned down on the BP. The problem with my skin is that it is very slow to exfoliate, no matter how much I coax it. There always seems to be a substantial layer of what seems to be dead skin covering much of my face, but doesn't come off. I have supplemented the Regimen with St. Ives Invigorating Apricot scrub, which I use between the cleaner and the BP gel. I also use Eucerin Dry Skin Therapy Intensive Repair Lotion (contains alpha hydroxy). Basically, I have modified the Regimen into a full scale exfoliating process on top of acne removal. I have been very careful not to be too zealous about any of the steps and overdo the process (ie: rubbing my skin raw, etc)

My questions are: Do you think that years of unsucessful acne medication and years of popping pimples toughened up my skin? Now, the completely clogged pores (whiteheads) seem much less, but the blackheads seem to be in full force.

Do you think I should go to a dermatologist to determine if I have a skin condition?

Has anyone else had a similar "resistant skin" problem and would care to share their experience?

Thanks in advance.

it seems to me that because you have turned the regime into exfoliating process, it has demite the purpose of gentleness and simpicity in the regime. isn't that why he put only three products, all of which are extra gentle? it seems to me like you're jsut causing more irritation to your skin. benzoyl peroxide is suppose to exfoliate your skin and kill the bacteria (though it work very slowly) so it's all about patience....biggrin.gif three weeks is pretty short for the regime, especially if it's moderate acne. i know i wanted to give up but wait a while. BTW, your scrub is evil--it can despoit leftover grain into your pore...speaking from personal experience.

i think you should consult a dermatologist if you think you have another skin condition like roscesa (sp?). it's often confused with acne but they're pretty distinct.

about skin toughness...well, in my opinion and from what i've read, i always though OTC (over the counter) products were FDA-approved because they're generally safe for your skin. most OTC’s have the same active ingredients anyways (salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, zinc, etc). In comparison to prescribed products like acctuane, they're unsafe because they have heavy consequences and deposits into your body and only professionals can run tests to found this out what's happening with your body. maybe what you're feeling about your skin toughening is the environmental from wind, sun, and water, etc...

Just to add my .02, I too have heard from many different (some reliable, some, who knows?) sources for many years now that the st. ives stuff is too harsh for facial skin. It was my favorite for many years and it was a really difficult habit to break. I've finally found a replacement for when I HAVE to exfoliate, Aveeno daily scrub. If you are like me and absolutly have to exfoliate at least once in awhile (I'm finally down to twice a month), give that a try.

OTC scrubs (like St. Ives Invigorating Apricot scrub) are too harsh on acne-prone skin and only cause irritation and more breakouts. Use baking soda - its more gentler on the skin, is a good exfoliator and a more basic natural product.

Check out Delna's original post on using baking soda as an exfoliator: link

OTC products are usually not regulated by the FDA, because things that you get over the counter are usually in COSMETIC grade... Unless they are labled as a drug, you can bet it's not regulated. Because of this, you also never know how long some of these products have been sitting on the shelves, or what they have been exposed to in terms of the environment. Things like this can lower the efficacy of the product, if it is even an effective product to begin with.

guys, thanks for the tips. I think I am going to start using the exfoliation using baking soda, and also do the lemon juice/egg whites. I never thought that the scrubs could be so damaging, but a lot of what you guys have said makes sense.

OTC products are usually not regulated by the FDA, because things that you get over the counter are usually in COSMETIC grade... Unless they are labled as a drug, you can bet it's not regulated.  Because of this, you also never know how long some of these products have been sitting on the shelves, or what they have been exposed to in terms of the environment.  Things like this can lower the efficacy of the product, if it is even an effective product to begin with.