Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FiercePenguin

Spironolactone & Epiduo Forte Log

This is my third personal log on this forum and I have to say, I'm a little sad to be back here again, because it obviously means nothing I've tried previously has worked. I've been on Yasmin for a little over a year, and it has not given me the results I was looking for, so I talked to a new dermatologist, who has prescribed spiro as well as Epiduo Forte for me (which I'm a little nervous about because retinoids have not worked out well for me in the past, but I'm going to give it a fair shot unless it gets so bad that I just absolutely can't).

My skin seems to clear up and then break out again with no rhyme or reason why. Most recently I did have a long period of decently clear skin all summer and most of the fall except for some pimples here and there, but it was quite manageable. Since the end of December, I started getting cysts again (haven't had any since April). I can play around guessing at what caused it but I honestly have no idea.

So now here I am at square one again. The breakouts are all on my chin except for one pimple I had on my right cheek that is gone now. I have been using the Epiduo Forte for a week now, spiro not as long. I'm continuing to get new blemishes on my chin - three are active right now and some others are healing.

ETA: Forgot to say that I am on 50mg spiro to start

Edited by FiercePenguin

Good luck.  I've also had several logs on this site and still dealing with acne too.  I have been on 150 mg of spiro for 2 years and sadly, it has stopped working as well or something else is contributing to the lessoning of its effectiveness.

If your main issue with acne stems from hormonal stuff, then skincare is only going to be marginally effective.  Keep in mind that spiro takes a long time to work so don't get discouraged if you are still breaking out, sometimes even worse, after 3 months.  It took over a year for me to begin to see some consistency.

Hope you keep this log updated and praying for positive changes for you.  

2 hours ago, leelowe1 said:

Good luck.  I've also had several logs on this site and still dealing with acne too.  I have been on 150 mg of spiro for 2 years and sadly, it has stopped working as well or something else is contributing to the lessoning of its effectiveness.

If your main issue with acne stems from hormonal stuff, then skincare is only going to be marginally effective.  Keep in mind that spiro takes a long time to work so don't get discouraged if you are still breaking out, sometimes even worse, after 3 months.  It took over a year for me to begin to see some consistency.

Hope you keep this log updated and praying for positive changes for you.  

Thank you, I really appreciate it and that is good advice. I'm in this for the long haul - I've been dealing with acne and other hormonal issues for most of my life.

I'm sorry to hear that spiro isn't working for you anymore, are you trying anything different at the moment? I hope better days are ahead for both of us. Feel free to post on my thread anytime!

Week 1/2 update:  Nothing much is happening right now with my skin.  I've had some dryness from the epiduo (also worth mentioning that to start out I've only been using it on my main problem areas, which are my chin and my right cheek) but nothing crazy.  Some small pimples have come up but they come to a head and go away quickly.  Again, nothing crazy.  I haven't noticed any side effects yet from the spiro.

Stay strong.  I have an appointment set for a naturopath for the end of February as i have come to the end of the road in terms of what a derm can prescribe (spiro was my last resort unfortunately).  It's disheartening but what can you do.  I recommend taking pictures weekly to remind you of the progress made when times get bad. 

Keep us posted.  

Week 2/3 update:  Some new cysts over the weekend (yay perfect timing for social events).  Other than that, still doing fine, I'm okay being patient with this routine since negative effects are at a minimum so far.

Edited by FiercePenguin

Week 3/4: No new cysts this week, a few smaller pimples that have for the most part healed quickly.  I have a lot of important events coming up so if my skin can just stay as calm as it is now for a while longer I will be happy.

Week 4/5:  My wish was granted and my skin was doing pretty ok for the rest of last week.  Breakouts seem to be slowing down a little but hard to say for sure.  I picked up my first refill of Spiro today.

Week 5/6: Skin is ok right now, only one new pimple in about 2 weeks. I'm going through something very stressful in my life though so it won't surprise me if it gets worse.

Week 6/7:  Again nothing much to update on, everything has been pretty much the same for a while. Overall, I have seen a huge reduction in breakouts that I'm really happy about.  I still get some occasionally but nothing as bad as I was experiencing in the first few weeks when I started this routine.  I have a follow-up with the dermatologist next week so next time I will update about that and if my dosage of spiro gets increased.

Week 7/8 update: I am keeping the same routine and staying with 50mg for another 2 months, and then I will have another follow-up to reevaluate. I'm very happy with the results so far, it remains to be seen if anything will change in that amount of time, positive or negative. I probably will not be updating as often if everything stays the same, only if anything noteworthy happens.  Either way though I will come back on here in 2 months and report back at that point!