Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BearsAreLovely

Pollution and acne

Hi all,

Long time reader first time poster.

I have acne prone skin, large pores and mild acne (mostly closed up white bumps under skin that occasionally come up in spots, sometimes  bigger spots (around 1 a month). I've explored most causes and I've come to the conclusion that it's most likely the pollution in the city. I'm exposed to it for around an hour everyday as a cycle to work. I think in general I keep it at bay well but it's much harder and my skin does look worse compared to when I'm in less polluted places (eg. visiting my parents who live by the seaside in a tiny town). I even noticed a difference in my skin when I lived in the same city but took public transport to work instead of cycling! 

So, does anyone else suffer from the same? Did you add anything to your daily routine that made it better/easier to manage? Generally how do you deal with it? 

routine: wake up, wash face with mild facial soap and shower, use light moisturiser. In the evening I'd either steam my face (with plain tap water)  and use a gentle but antiseptic mask or a spot fighting scrub and no steaming, then use light moisturiser. I've found with experience I break out if I use anything that's too strong/acidic. 

I'm generally a less is more kind of person when it comes to skincare as I found it works best, so I'm always wary about adding new products to my routine. 

• Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes