Notifications
Clear all

Just had a consultation for subcision

MemberMember
(@ihateacnesomuch123)

Posted : 01/18/2018 5:52 pm

I just had a consultation today with a plastic surgeon regarding subcision and fillers. I live in Toronto so it was hard to find someone that offers this, and he was one of the few and pretty close to me with free consultation. Anyways his nurse looked at my face first and immediately suggested a variety of lasers which I knew I did not want. I specifically asked for subcision and she said that yes, it will improve but you won't get as ~amazing~ results as lasers (what a load of bs).

She said that one round of subcision should be enough for me and also suggested Bellafill. Now from what I've read here it is suggested to go with HA fillers so I didn't want to do that. Anyways the doctor came in later and looked at my face for like...5 min and said yeah, you can do subcision but I really recommend fractora laser. I thought he would be more thorough but he didn't even take a close look at my scars or look at them under angled lighting :( He didn't even tell me what scars I had

According to the clinic nokor subcision is a common procedure he does, and the price they quoted was about $800 CAD for the full face. Does that sound reasonable? They said that if I do the subcision, I can go back and do the filler later, and it costs about $500-600 for a HA filler. Do you think I should get a second opinion or go with this guy? It bothered me a bit that he didnt really look at my scars closely. He's mainly a rhinoplasty surgeon and doesn't have many reviews on acne scar revision.

Here are some pics of my scars for reference...thanks for all your help! 

3.JPG2.jpg1.jpg

Noa27 liked
MemberMember
(@petsme)

Posted : 01/18/2018 5:58 pm

I would not go to this doctor. He obviously doesn't care much. Also, if he didn't even look at your scars in angled lighting, he is bound to miss so many spots during an actual procedure.

To give you another perspective, my surgeon spent an hour with me at a consultation, took photos, looked at my scars in angled lighting, touched the scars, and asked me which scars bothered me the most/ what about the scars was most distressing to me (color, texture, depth.) With him, each subcision will be about $250 US dollars.

MemberMember
(@ihateacnesomuch123)

Posted : 01/18/2018 6:07 pm

@Petsme Wow, sounds like the total opposite of my experience! That's great that you had such a caring doctor, was your consultation free? I felt like since mine was free he didn't really bother, the experience there felt a bit impersonal and cold. Plus he was standing up while talking to me, like he was in a rush to go somewhere else...

If I could find a doctor like yours, I wouldn't even be thinking about this guy. However he's one of the few around my area that can do subcision, every other doctor doesn't even list it on their website :( 

MemberMember
(@simplemutton)

Posted : 01/18/2018 6:08 pm

As soon as he mentioned lasers to treat those scars you should have walked out, he's only after your money

You'd benefit from subcision+fillers even though the scars are many so the price will be high

MemberMember
(@petsme)

Posted : 01/18/2018 6:09 pm

Yes it was free. I suggest that you call around at offices and see if they offer it. I feel like a lot of places do subcision, but they don't really advertise it because it isn't as "cool" or "trendy" as lasers/peels. Best of luck to you!!! :) 

My doctor also suggested Erbium laser, but when I told him I wasn't interested in that yet, he stopped talking about it and we moved on to subcision and what to expect from that

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/18/2018 6:43 pm

29 minutes ago, ihateacnesomuch123 said:

If I could find a doctor like yours, I wouldn't even be thinking about this guy. However he's one of the few around my area that can do subcision, every other doctor doesn't even list it on their website :( 

Don't rely solely on the Internet. Call around and ask. Subcision is not a popular procedure among the general public, so there's no incentive for the doctors to advertise. Also keep in mind that anyone can subcise. BE SURE TO ASK IF THEY HAVE HAD MANY EXPERIENCE WITH NOKOR. It wouldn't hurt to ask for references with regards to former patients who received subcision either. Don't just rely on before/after pics.

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 01/18/2018 9:59 pm

The outcome of subcision depends on your scar type, and operators skill. You are a good candidate for subcision (with filler is best) but this doctor doesn't sound like he knows a lot. A good scar doctor will take his time with each individual scar. Lasers are for the lazy.

MemberMember
(@natalie85)

Posted : 01/19/2018 1:20 am

7 hours ago, ihateacnesomuch123 said:
@Petsme Wow, sounds like the total opposite of my experience! That's great that you had such a caring doctor, was your consultation free? I felt like since mine was free he didn't really bother, the experience there felt a bit impersonal and cold. Plus he was standing up while talking to me, like he was in a rush to go somewhere else...

hey @ihateacnesomuch123 where did you do the subscision consult? I am also looking around for a good acne scar treatment dr in the  GTA. I have been to a bunch of derms but they only offer lasers.  I have heard dr. Matta in brampton was good, but i haven't been yet and im not sure if he does subscision.  If you come across a good doctor that specializes in acne scars in the Toronto area, I would really love to hear about it as i am also on the hunt! 

MemberMember
(@ihateacnesomuch123)

Posted : 01/19/2018 1:51 am

@natalie85I have PMed you!

MemberMember
(@dazzed)

Posted : 01/30/2018 8:36 am

That nurse was clearly trying to upsell you. As someone who's been through this bs with multiple offices, anyone who uses the word "amazing" to describe a one time procedure for acne scarring is absolutely f**king lying to you. I'm so glad you saw right through that BS.

We hear this same story so often, doctors who have a one-size fits all approach. Sometimes I wished that I could do it all over, go to medical school, and become the best damn dermatologist who actually gave a damn about helping people.

MemberMember
(@denise123)

Posted : 10/22/2019 9:50 am

On 1/18/2018 at 5:52 PM, ihateacnesomuch123 said:

I just had a consultation today with a plastic surgeon regarding subcision and fillers. I live in Toronto so it was hard to find someone that offers this, and he was one of the few and pretty close to me with free consultation. Anyways his nurse looked at my face first and immediately suggested a variety of lasers which I knew I did not want. I specifically asked for subcision and she said that yes, it will improve but you won't get as ~amazing~ results as lasers (what a load of bs).

She said that one round of subcision should be enough for me and also suggested Bellafill. Now from what I've read here it is suggested to go with HA fillers so I didn't want to do that. Anyways the doctor came in later and looked at my face for like...5 min and said yeah, you can do subcision but I really recommend fractora laser. I thought he would be more thorough but he didn't even take a close look at my scars or look at them under angled lighting :( He didn't even tell me what scars I had

According to the clinic nokor subcision is a common procedure he does, and the price they quoted was about $800 CAD for the full face. Does that sound reasonable? They said that if I do the subcision, I can go back and do the filler later, and it costs about $500-600 for a HA filler. Do you think I should get a second opinion or go with this guy? It bothered me a bit that he didnt really look at my scars closely. He's mainly a rhinoplasty surgeon and doesn't have many reviews on acne scar revision.

Here are some pics of my scars for reference...thanks for all your help! 

3.JPG2.jpg1.jpg

Which doctor was this, if I may ask? I'm also from Toronto looking to have subcision done and I'm also having a hard time finding a doctor. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@dazzed)

Posted : 10/22/2019 7:43 pm

I'm almost certain she's refering to Dr. Torgensen who's a plastic surgeon in Toronto. Not impressed with him.

MemberMember
(@groovegirl)

Posted : 11/12/2020 2:41 pm

Im sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I just had a free consultation with Dr Barankin at the Toronto Dermatology centre after reading positive reviews on him. He answered all my questions confirmed I had moderate boxcar scar (just a small area) and quoted $400. I decided to do it on the spot.he said I will likely need 2-3 treatments we will see how it goes over times. I decided not to get the filler which might mean I do an extra session. He didnt pressure me at all about getting the filler. He was great, highly recommend!

MemberMember
(@bellaseredjukayahoo-co-uk)

Posted : 07/15/2022 4:32 pm

On 11/12/2020 at 2:41 PM, Groovegirl said:

Im sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I just had a free consultation with Dr Barankin at the Toronto Dermatology centre after reading positive reviews on him. He answered all my questions confirmed I had moderate boxcar scar (just a small area) and quoted $400. I decided to do it on the spot.he said I will likely need 2-3 treatments we will see how it goes over times. I decided not to get the filler which might mean I do an extra session. He didnt pressure me at all about getting the filler. He was great, highly recommend!

Amazing to hear! How were your results?

MemberMember
(@246546_1443947456)

Posted : 08/08/2022 6:12 pm

Hi which Doctor did you see in Toronto? I booked a consulation with dr.hong and he charges a fee :(